BUG: Account holding AAPL shows incorrect Account Day Gain/Loss in Portfolio View grouped by Account

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that this is not related to bad quotes price downloading?
    AAPL split 4:1 on 8/31, but quotes for last week are already being downloaded, adjusted for the split when, IMHO, they shouldn't have been touched at all.
    Delete any incorrect price quotes for last week and your numbers should go back to normal.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has nothing to do with incorrect quotes being downloaded. 
    First, I've corrected the incorrect quotes each time they've shown up and the snippet of Portfolio view I've posted has the correct pre and post split quotes and share numbers behind it. 
    Second, even if I hadn't corrected any of the faulty quotes, the logic of the program should show a Day Gain/Loss in AAPL that supports the large Account loss shown, and it doesn't.
    Here's the 8/31 Day Gain/Loss detail for the Account today:

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    UKR said:
    Are you sure that this is not related to bad quotes price downloading?
    AAPL split 4:1 on 8/31, but quotes for last week are already being downloaded, adjusted for the split when, IMHO, they shouldn't have been touched at all.
    Delete any incorrect price quotes for last week and your numbers should go back to normal.
    Mine did not go back to normal.  I do think it is related to splits in general, not Apple in particular, in terms of how the account level Day gain/loss is tabulated. Clearly it is not tabulated by the sum of the individual Day gain/losses.  There's a bad calculation in the code that is not accounting for the split at the account level.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the same discrepancy that @Tom Young reports for the 8/31/20 date.  The magnitude of the discrepancy is:
    New AAPL Shares x (new day price - prior day price), or
    New Shares x (129.04 - 499.23)
    (Look at same portfolio view grouped by Account with and without AAPL included)
    Group by something other than Account and I think all is OK. 

I also think I reported this issue with splits and account totals years ago.  Off on a search I go. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the sort of issue I was recalling from some 6.5 years ago and back to QW2011.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17285134/#Comment_17285134

What is presented as the Account level Day Gain/Loss is not the sum of the Security level Day Gain/Loss values.  It is clearly not correct as is currently, but there may still be valid reasons to not have it as the summation. 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The magnitude of the discrepancy is:
    New AAPL Shares x (new day price - prior day price), or
    New Shares x (129.04 - 499.23)"
    That math doesn't work for my case if you're speaking to the discrepancy between the Account's Day Gain/Loss shown in the Portfolio view and the actual Day Gain/Loss. 

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I wasn’t clear and indeed misstated the facts. 

I looked only at the portfolio view, account level Day Gain/Loss with and without AAPL included.  From those two values I concluded for the account level G/L, Quicken was using the equation I offered for AAPL’s contribution that day. 

If that form is being used for all securities as I suspect, any holding that changes share quantity on a day could have its day G/L improperly computed at the account level.