Quicken Loses Transactions

I typically record transactions 30 days out so that I can plan my cash flow. Since August 22nd, when I try to go into Quicken all of these transactions are being deleted from the file. Quicken also does not seem to be shutting down correctly as the blue wheel of death is seen and eventually just have to close the file.

I have tried to validate the file and there are a few transactions that are fixed but nothing major, and doing this also deletes the transactions. Putting them back in will result in the program crashing, and they are not saved.

Has anybody seen this occur? Any advice on how to fix.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• mbond
    mbond Member
    Thank you for your help. I have followed all of these instructions. I thought the program was working great again. I exited out, reentered it, and my transactions were there. Today I open the applications and it has lost everything since 8/21 again. Beyond frustrated.

Currently using R28.24. I have download a fresh install and updated prior to correctly my data file. I am at a complete lose of how to get this back to working reliably.

Any and all help appreciated.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to wonder ... when you restart Quicken, which data file are you accessing? An older defective file or the one you copied, validated and otherwise updated with new transactions?
    Pull up the File Menu in Quicken and look at the bottom of the menu. There should be a list of up to 4 recently used file names. The one marked "1" is the currently open file. Would file number "2" be the one you fixed up yesterday? And would that be the one you should have accessed today?
  • mbond
    mbond Member
    So I have been trouble shotting a lot. I have gone back 2 to older data files, input in some entries and then close the file. When I open it they are gone. Some times the register will say I have -200, but the account list says $12,000 as its total, like it know that some paychecks are supposed to be there but they are not in the register. Once I add anything to the register the two values match again. Definitely very odd, and after validating backup files etc I can not explain it.

In case it might make a difference, I am running Quicken Windows in a Windows 10 environment in Parallel Desktop on my Mac. I have been doing this for over 10 years as the Mac version of Quicken never had the same functionality or feel. Definitely another real short coming of Quicken.

So I am absolutely positive that I am using the validate file, validate backups. For instance, I will go in a validate a backup file, and then open it fresh and the same problem occurs.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mbond

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

I few questions to better help understand what could be happening.

Can you please provide the location of your data file? To confirm the location of the file please review the steps available here.

Also, do you actively use the mobile or web app?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • mbond
    mbond Member
    I have been saving the data file to a dropbox location for the last 10 years. Because of these issues I have moved to a local directory on a single machine with no change.

I am not actively using the mobile or web app, though I did log into the web app the other week, it might actually have been around the time all this started. I would be happy to delete everything on the web app, as it is not something that I plan to use in the future.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @mbond

Thank you for the response and for confirming the data file location. It is not recommended or officially supported to store the file in Dropbox

Doing so can cause issues as you have reported and most people report that doing so works fine up until there is a problem.

If this seemed to correlate to signing into the web application, you may try the steps outline here to remove the dataset and see if that improves the issue.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~