Why is Quicken crashing when I click on a loan account?

I have a student loan account that I haven't used in a while because I paid it off. Now I have a new semester started and a new balance. Every time I click on that account or attempt to edit the account details, Quicken crashes. I have subscription for Windows and am on the latest version. Supervalidation produced no errors but did not solve the issues.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

How was the old loan account created? As a mortgage-type account, with a regular payment schedule or more like a credit card account, with variable payments made when you can make a payment?
    Once paid off,  Quicken considers a mortgage type account done and over with. You should start a new account register for a new loan.
  • Quicken 2020 R28.24 Build 27.1.28.24, Windows 10 1909

Has been restarted multiple times since the last update.

Most of Troubleshooting 101 was done with tech support before I posted. Their suggestion was not only to create a new loan, but to create a complete new file and rebuild all my accounts. Nope, nope, nope.

The old loan was created as a loan, not a mortgage, so Quicken should not consider it closed. It was also paid off early, so it's not like I got to the end of the payments and Quicken closed it. Also even a closed account can be clicked on.

I found a work-around in that I was able to hide the old loan file and create a new one. I'm going to go back and try a couple of things in 101 in the particular order they're suggested.

Any other ideas? Let's dig deeper, shall we?
  • Ran Troubleshooting 101 EXACTLY as specified. Clicking on the loan account still crashes Quicken. I can hide it in the account list, but I can't click on it to see transactions at all.
  • Hello @staceye970

Thank you for the response, and the additional details.

I have a few more questions to better help me understand what could be happening.

I do see that you have already, run the file validate, did you receive any details about the loan in question after completing the validation?

Also, are you running any 3rd party anti-virus or software?

How long have you been experiencing this issue? Was this file with the loan account used in a previous version of Quicken?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I am having the same issue with R28.24 - when I click on an old loan account to view the history Quicken crashes. I have validated/repaired the file, and copied to a new file. I am running Norton antivirus. I haven't accessed this loan file in some time. I am able to open the asset account that this was linked with without any issues.
  • No errors ever showed up on the loan account, either on validation or super validation.

I use Bitdefender AV software. I was using it the last time the account worked.

This loan account is approximately 3 years old in Quicken, so I'm sure it's been through a couple of upgrades. It opened last about 5 months ago when I made the last payment. This issue just started a couple of days ago.
  • Very much the same here - the loan account in my case was created around 2006 and paid off in 2008. Not sure when this happened, can't narrow it to a couple of day - it's been an issue for at least a month.
  • Hello @staceye970 and @Richard Gevis

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize I am still unsure of what could be the cause of this behavior.

First, if you have not already sent the crash report, please navigate to Help > Report a Problem and report this behavior. This will help with the investigation of the issue. 

I have a few more questions to help narrow down the issue a bit further. Can you please provide the location of your data? To confirm the location of the file please review the steps available here.

Also, do you sync to the mobile or web app? If so, can you confirm if the loan account in question is selected to sync?

Please navigate to the Mobile & Web Tab and select the gear icon shown below.

If this account is selected to sync, please uncheck the account and see if you are able to open the account.

Please let me know what you find.
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Hello

Everytime I access one of my loan accounts in quicken linked to an asset - quicken crashes with error stating quicken has stopped working and needed to be restarted
This discussion has been closed.