Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Fidelity stopped downloading transactions

Now that the mutual fund issue has been solved (thanks folks!) I had an opportunity to trace down why my Quicken balances for two Fidelity Investment accounts differed from the online balances at Fidelity.

The answer is exactly that the last successful download of transactions was 7/10/20. Since then there have been 4 transactions and their total brings the Quicken balances in line with the Fidelity  balances. And obviously, this started well before the latest issues with Fidelity. It had been accurately downloading transactions for years for me prior, as well.

I tried Refreshing the accounts but it had no change. If I go to Online Center, it shows the proper balances at the Fidelity account and "Compare to Portfolio" shows the exact differences that are missing from downloads. Updating Transactions only from the account drop down does not download the missing transactions.

There is no error message. I do not see anything that would lead me to believe there is an issue in the OFX log other than the DSTART is today (is that the issue?) Connection is Direct Connect as it has always been and is the default for Fidelity.

I tried calling Fidelity, but an agent never answered and I gave up after 45 minutes.

Quicken H&B 2020, Windows, very latest updates done this week.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob. -  I'm not sure what you mean by "Refreshing the accounts".  Did you mean "Reset"?
    If you meant something other than that, then I suggest you try to "Reset Account" from the Online Services tab of Account Details. 
    If that doesn't work, I suggest the following:
    1)  Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2)  Click on Deactivate from the Online Services tab of Account Details (for each of your Fidelity accounts).
    3)  Select the Online Services tab of Account Details for one of your Fidelity Accounts, click on Set Up Now and follow the prompts.
    4)  During the setup process Quicken will likely ask you what to do with the data that has been downloaded.  Be sure to select "Link" and select the appropriate account name in Quicken.  Quicken should then download the missing transactions.
    Let me know if this fixes your issue.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Sorry. Written in the wee hours. I did mean Reset. Made no change to downloading the missing transactions..

I have not tried deactivating "yet". As you know, sometimes these things create new problems. Leaning toward trying DSTART as it is obvious when Fidelity in Quicken stopped downloading transactions. Then the question is why it stopped.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - Do you feel that deactivating / reactivating is relatively safe? If so, I'll give it a try on one of the accounts. Just hate to make things worse.

You don;t think it could be a DSTART issue?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Boatnmaniac

I tried it and it created numerous issues.

It Did find the missing transactions but also created 3 placeholders to enter prices for older transactions I had not clue how to deal with. After that, it would not connect to Fidelity to update again. The option was missing on the gear dropdown. I forget exactly what happened, but it asked if I wanted to activate downloads and I went through several screens that did nothing nor changed anything. So I went back to my backup and all seems fine there, with the exception of missing the July and Aug transactions.

"During the setup process Quicken will likely ask you what to do with the data that has been downloaded.  Be sure to select "Link" and select the appropriate account name in Quicken"

Never asked.

What do you think?
  • Boatnmaniac
    @Bob. - I supposed it could be a DSTART issue but deactivating/reactivating should reset that.  But Quicken has changed their dialog for updating FI Branding and Profiles and the new dialog does not include an option for DSTART.  That perhaps was a good idea because changing DSTART can introduce its own set of issues if it is done incorrectly.  At any rate, I have not been able to find how to adjust DSTART now.
    In general, yes, I do feel deactivating/reactivating is safe.  The biggest potential issue in my mind is that the transactions first downloaded by the FI might include some duplicates of what is already in the register but it doesn't happen every time.  When duplicates are downloaded they will need to be manually deleted.  Then this shouldn't happen again with future downloads.
    You can make deactivating/reactivating very safe by first backing up your data file.  If something does go wrong you can then quickly restore the backup file so everything will be back to what it is now.
    BTW, I do recall that Fidelity had some system issues or was doing some maintenance in the first week or two of July.  And when OSU started working for me, again, I wasn't getting any transactions downloaded.  I then did a deactivate/reactivate and the problem was solved (with no duplicate transactions being entered into my registers). 
    If you do this you will want to do it soon.  Fidelity's website says that during OSU they download 60 days of transactions (Quicken usually recognizes and ignores those that had previously been downloaded).  Go beyond that 60 days window and you will need to manually enter any transactions outside of that window.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    See my last post please.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Reset DSTART (have not tried) is still where it always was. Let  me know if you need step by step.

There is also something I have not seen which is a checkbox that says "Download FI List".  But that appears under all accounts, not just the Fidelity ones.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Son of a gun. I changed DSTART for both accounts to 6/30/2020 and Quicken downloaded the missing transactions. I'm both pleased and surprised.

It leaves me with a VERY small issue I would love to correct. It shows a Money Market fund with .14 in it from a lot on 5/29.20 and the cash balance is short that .14. Some way I can correct that?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let me be more accurate.

Quicken shows .14 in a Money Market and
    thousands in cash.

The reality is there should be 0 in cash and all of that
    in the Money Market.

Is it safe to Adjust both the Money Market and Cash to correct balances? No idea how this came to be.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    In my Fidelity accounts, I just leave the cash as cash ... and don't go to the trouble of buying/selling a MMF every time that there's a transaction in the account.
    Even the cash dividends in those accounts download properly.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, but I have not done anything proactively. All the MMF has always appeared as cash except for this one transaction on 5/29. However, on the Fidelity site, all of that is in the MMF fund, none in cash. So trying to figure out how to make this last little piece right. And still amazed and pleased DSTART fixed the missing transactions :)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Just buy the 0.14 shs of the MMF for $0.14.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea, but I think II'd rather go the other way as Fidelity Site AND IRA show cash in the MMF funds. So rather 0 cash and increase MMF. Will likely try it. Always like to ask if I think any action might have risk.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    @Bob. - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I needed to step away for a while to take care of some "Honey Do" errands.  :smile:
    I'm glad the DSTART worked for you.
    Regarding the MMF and the cash:  Fidelity keeps investment accounts cash in Core Accounts.  Usually the Core Fund is a MMF.  The MMF Core Account in your investment account holdings will be identified with ** after the MMF ticker (ex:  SPAXX**) in your online holdings tab.  In holdings it will show shares held in this MMF Core Account (at $1 per share).  But if you look at the balances tab, it will show the value of the MMF Core Account as cash, not as a security.  Fidelity will also usually download the value of the MMF Core Account into Quicken as cash.  But every once in a while it will report a cash transaction as a MMF Core Account security transaction.   I'm guessing that the $0.14 MMF transaction on 5/29 was downloaded as a "Reinvest - Income Reinvested" transaction.  If that is the case, change it to a "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" transaction.  That should resolve your issue.
    To keep it from happening in the future, go into your online Fidelity account and make sure that your Core Account MMF is set up to pay income into the account cash balance and not reinvested into the security.  This doesn't change anything in Fidelity since Fidelity will always by default put the money into your Core Account.  But it will change how Fidelity downloads it into Quicken...no more Reinvest transactions so the cash from the dividend will show up in your cash balance in Quicken.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much!

So will change that one transaction to INC. It was a reinvest. The only one I could find in history.

"To keep it from happening in the future, go into your online Fidelity account and make sure that your Core Fund is set up to pay income into the account cash balance and not reinvested into the security.  "

Would you happen to know where this is found?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    Bob. said:
    Great idea, but I think II'd rather go the other way as Fidelity Site AND IRA show cash in the MMF funds. So rather 0 cash and increase MMF. Will likely try it. Always like to ask if I think any action might have risk.
    I wouldn't recommend doing that.  It will cause Quicken account/Fidelity downloaded balance issues...from personal painful experience I guarantee it.  Per the Fidelity website they will download your Core Account holdings into Quicken as cash....not as security transactions.  You can read more about it here:  https://www.fidelity.com/customer-service/faqs-exporting-account-information.
    The exception to this was noted in my previous post.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I did the change to INC and it settled things. Only strangeness (which I will not worry about) is that cash in the brokerage account shows as cash, but in the IRS shows as MMF. Likely proper and a good reason for it.

Off to find that core setting.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, this brought up new questions:) This is not so intuitive.

For the brokerage I show this:

Note two accounts show reinvest. Should both be changed? Not sure how they all got to be different.

Then if I choose UPDATE:

What do I need to do? Just check deposit to Core or also select the MMF under Select Mutual Fund? And do for each or tick either or both of the boxes below?

Not obvious.

Thanks again @Boatnmaniac . You have helped immensely. I think after this I can close this thread.

• Boatnmaniac
    Bob. said:
    Thanks. I did the change to INC and it settled things. Only strangeness (which I will not worry about) is that cash in the brokerage account shows as cash, but in the IRS shows as MMF. Likely proper and a good reason for it.

What do you mean by "IRS"?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Much MORE clear :) Not an intuitive change. Especially since not consistent across holdings. But done. And appreciated!

I hope you will post if you find out how to keep cash straight without deleting sell transactions.

~Bob
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    Bob. said:
    Much MORE clear :) Not an intuitive change. Especially since not consistent across holdings. But done. And appreciated!

I hope you will post if you find out how to keep cash straight without deleting sell transactions.

~Bob
    You are welcome. 
    One additional comment that is important:  When your Core Account MMF pays out a dividend, it will be downloaded into Quicken as such.  Do NOT delete those dividend payout transactions or your Quicken cash balance will get out of sync with what Fidelity downloads.  Just make sure they are not Reinvest transactions and are Income transactions, instead, and all will be good.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I doubt I could have gotten to this point without you. I can only imagine the Tuesday calls with Quicken and Fidelity support I will have missed :)
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    A final thought that never got addressed: Why did Fidelity transactions stop getting downloaded in July? And now back up to date, will they download at the end of September. Guess I shall find out.

BTW, I replied to your question on IRS, but do not see my reply. It was a fat fingering and should have been IRA.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:

What do you mean by "IRS"?
    Ooops. Fat fingered. IRA, not IRS :)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    Bob. said:
    A final thought that never got addressed: Why did Fidelity transactions stop getting downloaded in July? And now back up to date, will they download at the end of September. Guess I shall find out.

BTW, I replied to your question on IRS, but do not see my reply. It was a fat fingering and should have been IRA.
    I doubt that we'll every really know what caused Fidelity transactions to stop downloading.  I do know that Fidelity experienced a number of system issues in late June and early July that occasionally caused downloads to stop.  I also know that Quicken and/or the aggregator had some transactions download issues (mostly with EWC connections but maybe also with DC connections).  Usually we are never told exactly what the cause(s) were and are sometimes simply informed the issue has been "resolved" while at other times OSU just starts to work, again, with no explanation provided.
    Ah, you meant IRA, not IRS.  That makes sense.  But your IRA showing cash as a MMF does not.  I track 6 accounts at Fidelity (3 IRAs, 1 Roth IRA, 2 taxable brokerages) and in Quicken they all show Core Account MMF values held as Cash...except one IRA has no Core Account MMF value (i.e., no Cash) because all funds are invested in another non-Core MMFs and in other securities.  Are you sure that the MMF showing value in your IRA is the designated Core Account? 
    FYI - SPAXX is the default MMF that Fidelity uses for the Core Account but the account holder has the option of selecting a different MMF or a Sweep Savings Account as the Core Account.  When something other than SPAXX is selected as the Core Account, then SPAXX is no longer the Core Account and any holdings of it would be reported as holdings of any other security would be reported.  My guess is that your IRA has a different MMF or a Sweep Savings Account designated as the Core Account and that Fidelity shows no positions in it being held because all of your IRA cash is invested in other securities, perhaps including in SPAXX.  Remember, in Fidelity.com the Positions tab will identify your Core Account with ** after the ticker.  If there is no ** Core Account ticker shown there then you are not holding any Cash in that account and the Balances tab will show no cash value...and your account in Quicken will show no cash balance.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I know they had issues downloading mutual quotes, but not transactions. At least I never heard/read that. Shall see in 3 weeks or so if it works.

" Are you sure that the MMF showing value in your IRA is the designated Core Account? "
    Nope. Would have never checked. Off to do that now since you taught me new tricks.

I have a Core** Unfunded Core Position. Everything is reinvest in Security. Seems as you had guessed.

Is that an issue?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    The downloading quotes issue and the transactions not downloading were two (three?) separate unrelated issues.  It does appear, now, that those are all behind us but it doesn't mean that something new won't come up at some time.
    No problem with having an unfunded Core position.  But, I do suggest that you change the Core Account in your IRA to have the Dividends and Cap Gains directed to your Core Account instead of Reinvested.  Doing that now will avoid potential holdings/cash issues in Quicken in the future.  It's better to be proactive than reactive, in my mind.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    You might find this interesting @Boatnmaniac

https://www.personalfinanceclub.com/which-core-position-should-you-choose-spaxx-vs-fdic-fidelity/

So I think I may change the Core to MMF on Tuesday.

• Boatnmaniac
    Thanks for passing this along, @Bob. .  It gives some sound advice. 
    Fidelity offers two different types of Core Account investment options:
    • A MMF security.  SPAXX (Fidelity Government Money Market) is the default MMF Fidelity offers.  There are a small number of other MMFs you can optionally select.  I use SPAXX for a couple of my accounts and FDRXX in a couple of other ones.  When you go through the process to change your Core Account security, Fidelity will let you know which other MMFs (if any) you might be qualified for.  There are restrictions on some of these other MMFs, such as total value of your account, total value of your total portfolio, which type of account you have, etc.).  But Fidelity will let you know exactly what options your accounts qualify for.  And whatever Fidelity offers will be insured (via something like FDIC)...uninsured MMFs do not qualify for Core Accounts.
    • A FDIC-insured Sweep Account.  This is the more traditional type of Core Account.  It is really nothing more than a linked savings account. 
    If you have a FDIC-insured Sweep Account for your Core Account, then definitely do change to one of the MMF security options since you earn 1%-2% annually or maybe even a little more.  It's still not a lot but it's a whole lot better than the 0.01%-0.1% you can get from a Sweep Account.
    If you are given a couple of MMF choices, Fidelity will let you compare them and you can see what the history of their returns have been so you can see which one(s) are the best performers.
This discussion has been closed.