Home Quicken for Windows Signing in, Passwords, and Activation (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Sign-In bug

[I am running Quicken Deluxe R28.24 (build 27.1.28.24) ]

Here is a scenario where Quicken is now prompting for a Quicken sign-in, when it never did before, and really doesn't even need to validate the user.

I have two Quicken files - #1 has a Data file password, and #2 does not.

I launch Quicken, open #1, enter Data file password - all works fine.
I close (quit) Quicken.
I re-launch Quicken, when it prompts for the Data file password for #1, I hit Cancel
Quicken then brings up a File Browser window, I hit Cancel
I go to the File menu and select #2 from the bottom of the drop down - Quicken remembers recently opened files
I now get prompted for my Quicken ID Password. This new "feature" happens every time.

Curiously, Quicken also opens the data file for #2.
If I don't type in my Quicken ID Password, but instead hit the X in the upper-right corner of the window, the Quicken ID Password prompt window goes away and Quicken appears to work fine.

So, it looks like there is a new, unnecessary Quicken Sign-in prompt. Please get rid of this superfluous step.

[I suspect this new problem was introduced when Quicken was fixing the R28.23 Sign-in loop.]

Comments

• Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    edited September 2020

Hello @tired techie

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issues you're having. That is quite odd you're seeing two different behaviors on each file. If you wouldn't mind could we try signing out and signing back in to see if we're able to clean up the sign in looping. 

1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)

Once you're able to try this see if you're still getting sign in looped. If you are could you take a couple of screenshots where exactly it happens. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Francisco,

Thanks for reaching out.

I signed out of Quicken, exited Quicken, restarted Quicken, and signed in with my Quicken ID. The problem remains exactly the same as I described.

I know you asked for screen shots, but I don’t think they will show anything different than what I described in the detailed steps I posted.

As such, I would appreciate it if you, or someone at Quicken, would attempt to reproduce with the details I listed above. Please note, #1 has a Data file password, and #2 does NOT have a Data file password.

If you follow the steps and are unsuccessful to reproduce the problem, I will send you some screen shots – but as I said, they won’t show more that I have described in detail.

Thanks,
    Tired Techie
  • @tired techie

Thanks for the update. I was testing your original post a bit more and was able to replicate the issue but not consistently. I have one last idea to try. I'd like to try deleting/reinstalling quicken to see if by reauthorizing our token we're able to have the sign in not appear. I'll leave the links on how to do so down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-uninstall-quicken-windows

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Once you get a chance try this out and let us know if you're still able to replicate it. Also do you also have mobile sync turned on? Last thing is do you also have quicken download transactions on startup? I did notice a bit of different behavior depending on these settings so let us know.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • @Francisco,

I did as you asked, but the problem remains exactly the same.

I uninstalled, then re-installed Quicken from scratch.
    I do not have mobile sync turned on.
    I do not have Quicken download transactions on startup.

Once I opened #1 (with password), and #2 (without password), I exited Quicken.
    Then I went through the scenario described in my original post.

Quicken prompted unnecessarily for the Quicken ID when I opened #2.

Please escalate this issue within support.

Thank you.

Tired Techie
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [I am running Quicken Deluxe R28.24 (build 27.1.28.24) ]

Here is a scenario where Quicken is now prompting for a Quicken sign-in, when it never did before, and really doesn't even need to validate the user.

I have two Quicken files - #1 has a Data file password, and #2 does not.

I launch Quicken, open #1, enter Data file password - all works fine.
    I close (quit) Quicken.
    I re-launch Quicken, when it prompts for the Data file password for #1, I hit Cancel
    Quicken then brings up a File Browser window, I hit Cancel
    I go to the File menu and select #2 from the bottom of the drop down - Quicken remembers recently opened files
    I now get prompted for my Quicken ID Password. This new "feature" happens every time.

Curiously, Quicken also opens the data file for #2.
    If I don't type in my Quicken ID Password, but instead hit the X in the upper-right corner of the window, the Quicken ID Password prompt window goes away and Quicken appears to work fine.

So, it looks like there is a new, unnecessary Quicken Sign-in prompt. Please get rid of this superfluous step.

[I suspect this new problem was introduced when Quicken was fixing the R28.23 Sign-in loop.]
    Hi @tired techie ,

This is a known issue. The token that Quicken places in Quicken, not the Data File, for the specific Data File, where you don't need to sign in again. But if you are using two different data files, you need to enter your Quicken User ID Password, each time.

Not a bug, but it is a security issue.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.21  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21296.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.746

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• @thecreator

Sadly, if this implementation was done for security purposes, then the developer and the QA team should be ashamed of the code they released.

As I pointed out, when I receive the prompt for my Quicken ID, I merely close the window (by hitting the X in the upper right corner) and Quicken works normally. So, if Quicken was trying to validate my Quicken ID, they failed.

I just spoke to Marco at Quicken support. He is opening a bug report on this issue.