Scheduled Quick Pay items do not appear in Projected Balances

I recently started using the new Quicken Bill Manager and have scheduled a couple of bills using Quick Pay. However, I just noticed that my scheduled bills are not appearing in "Projected Balances". They also don't appear in the "Stay on top of Monthly Bills" and "Bill and Income Reminders" widgets on the Home tab. This pretty much makes projected balances and those other widgets useless. I had hoped to eventually pay all my bills through Quick Pay/CheckPay, but I may have to go back to using my bank's bill pay instead if this isn't fixed.

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    There are some older posts about this problem.  Try searching on Projected Balance. The explanation seems to be that bills themselves are not payment actions (ie. how much, when & how are not yet set).  Only when a pill is paid does it reflect into the projected balance.  There are some work arounds using reminders that seem to be working well for me.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • But if I have scheduled the bill, then how much and when is already set. So I don't see why that couldn't be included in the projected balance. It does appear in my checking account register but not in projected balances. Thanks for the suggestion about reminders. However that seems to have problems too. I added reminders for a couple of online bills. That does fix the problem with projected balances. But, then when I go to my checking account register, I see both the reminder and the scheduled online bill and my projected checkbook balance in the register is then incorrect because the amount is deducted twice. That doesn't make any sense either.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I agree, if it appears in your payment account as scheduled it should be reflected in the projected balance of the account.  I admit that once I found the work around I have unlinked all my reminders from bills.  I also began using my bank's billpay service and haven't used Quick Pay recently.  So I now use the reminder to enter the payment, ignore the current bill and all is well with the projected balance.  ;)

If you ignore the current instance of the reminder in your register so that the register balance is correct, the projected balance graph does not show any scheduled payment on that date?  I just did a test $20 Quick Pay, scheduled for 9/15.  The following is what appears in my projected balance for that date:

So the balance is adjusted but the payee is not shown.  Others have reported similar behavior but I don't recall if there was ever a resolution.  You may have seen something if you've reviewed the older posts.  
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Yes, if I ignore the reminder, then the register is correct, but the projected balance no longer shows anything for that bill. If I keep the reminder and set my register to not show any reminders, then everything seems to be correct. However, I prefer to see the upcoming 14 days of reminders in my register. So, I guess I'll just go back to using my bank's bill pay. It's disappointing, since I'm paying for this functionality with my subscription, but can't use it. Anyway, thank you very much for your responses.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I feel the same.  When my subscription comes up for renewal I'll likely drop back to Deluxe if the Premier Bill Manager benefit functions the same as it does now.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if I ignore the reminder, then the register is correct, but the projected balance no longer shows anything for that bill. 
    An additional update.  Bills did not update with OSU this am so I did a manual update from the B&I tab.  As a result of that update, my test Quick Pay that is scheduled for 9/15 in my register now reflects correctly in the Projected Balances graph.

So, for some reason, the behavior changed.  @Mark502Ulmer, do you still have the issue with incorrect projected balances?  I should mention that a couple new issued occurred with today's manual Bill's update.  First my Citi Costco card bill went from being functional to a "Needs Attention" status.  Also, several bills I had previously ignored, decided to show balances again.  Perhaps some resetting of accounts is occurring at the Bill Manager's retrieval web site.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Curious. I just did both OSU (it claimed bills were updated) and the update from the bills tab, but it made no difference. My projected balance is still incorrect. Anyway, thanks for checking on this.