Ever since the last update to Quicken Subscription I am getting an error when backing up to Dropbox

Since the last update I am getting an error when I backup...
1. Unable to open source file
2. Quicken can not open the data file because it is being used by another application, such as cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage and try again.
3 Unble to re-load current file after copy.

I am able to reopen from the file in dropbox but very frustrating having to go through this every time. As I said this is only since the last update to Quicken.

Thanks
Alex

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you backing up to the Dropbox folder on your desktop?  Is the error from Windows or Quicken?  I'm on the current R28.24 and not having a similar issue.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't already, I suggest you access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive using a short (8.3) name (for example, QData.QDF).  Do not allow other programs to access the Quicken file while it is open in Quicken (for example, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, MegaSync).  
  • amcadam
    amcadam Member
    I am backing it up to the Dropbox file on my desktop (it then syncs to Dropbox)
    I believe the error is from Quicken
  • amcadam
    amcadam Member
    Again; this all started being an issue with the last update from Quicken
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Again, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using Google Backup and Sync?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    As I said, I'm not experiencing the problem so I'm guessing here.  I just generated a manual backup and it uploaded fine.  As @Greg_the_Geek says, providing the full path for both data file and your Dropbox backup would be helpful.
    • Have you tried generating a new backup with a different name in the Dropbox folder?  
    • How many Quicken backups are you keeping in the Dropbox and if more than one, how are they named? 
    • Have you accessed the backup from another device or is it shared?  
    • Have you gone online to your Dropbox account to verify the file status there? 
    • Dropbox does have some advanced features for certain types of accounts so has you Dropbox account been changed or upgraded? 
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • amcadam
    amcadam Member
    C:\Users\xxxxx\Dropbox\Quicken\$R4EEBV6-2020-09-01.PM05.44-R-27.42-2020-09-07.QDF-backup
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    amcadam said:
    I am backing it up to the Dropbox file on my desktop (it then syncs to Dropbox)
    I believe the error is from Quicken
    When Quicken performs a backup it closes the Quicken file momentarily.  When Quicken attempts to reopen the Quicken file, you will receive the error you posted if another program has the Quicken file open.  I suspect you are allowing Dropbox to synchronize the Quicken file while the file is in use by Quicken.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Extending @sherlock's comment ... when Q closes that data file, to insure that all write operations have gone to completion, Dropbox is grabbing the file and preventing Q from reopening it.
    DON'T store your QDF in the Dropbox folder.  Instead, direct your Q backups to that folder, and Dropbox wont grab them until  Q is finished with the backup.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @amcadam, that's the path to your Quicken BACKUP file not your Quicken data file.