Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

ONE STEP UPDATE ERROR-NEEDS A FIX

I am struggling with the transition from Quicken Bill Pay to Quicken Bill
Manager and I am not finding online assistance which addresses my
issues.

A week ago, I could not set a Quick Pay or Check Pay for a future date.
On the community I saw a post which said a certain release of Quicken
addressed this issue. I usually do not update my Quicken program
between major versions as I find this often creates new issues I must
learn and resolve. My current release is: RELEASE=YEAR:
2020/VERSION: R26.17/BUILD: 27.1.26.17

However, I needed Quicken Bill Manager to work so I followed the
directions to make a Backup and run One Step Update before installing
the latest release. I have several older Quicken files containing financial
transactions which I sometimes reference. I updated these files to my
current version of Quicken and backed everything up. When I next ran
One Step Update I received an error = OL-332-A This indicates Quicken
Bill Pay had an error.

I accessed and followed the online solutions for this issue. I checked the
login and security codes for the two banks which I use. Everything was
correct. I contacted both banks to see if they blocked access in some
fashion. Neither bank had done so. I was able to access both accounts
online at their website. I ran One Step Update again and received the
same error.

Each time after the error, Quicken reveals a window entitled
“Connectivity Problems,” lists one of my checking accounts, and asks
whether the password recently changed, and prompts you to update your
Quicken Bill Pay account. After inputting the same password used in
One Step Update it returns, “Success.” Nothing changes, however, the
error persists.
Now when I open or close Quicken, the program wants to complete an
online session.

1) Would this error be solved by an update to the most current release?
If so, which ones?

2) Will Quicken Bill Manager use One Step Update as the process
through which you schedule future transactions?
Does it still list Quicken Bill Pay simply because I have not yet
updated the release?
Will this go away with the new release?
Will it change from Quicken Bill Pay to Quicken Bill Manager?

3) I first received the error message on September 1, could this error be
because Quicken Bill pay is no longer operating?

Without this fix, I am back to writing checks and mailing them, a giant
leap backwards!

Is there a Quicken agent or Super User who could point out where I am
wrong and/or educate me as to how to solve these issues and answer
these questions. Thank you.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand your situation correctly, you are using the R26.17 release from April and Quicken Bill Pay.

You should update to the R28.24 release.

As the Quicken Bill Pay service was terminated by Metavante Payment Service on August 31st, you will need find an alternate solution for issuing bill payments.

Quick Pay and Check Pay are not an equivalent payment service but may meet your needs.  A limited number of Quick Pay payments each month may used to pay online bills associated with online billers.  A limited number of Check Pay payments each month may be used to send check to anyone in the US.  Quick Pay and Check Pay payments may be scheduled with limitations.  If you haven't already, you may want to review Quicken Support documentation on Quick Pay and Check Pay:

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-many-payments-can-i-make-each-month
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-scheduling-future-dated-payments-windows
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quick-paycheck-pay-errors-troubleshooting

If you want to continue schedule online payments from within Quicken using online payees like you did with Quicken Bill Pay, I suggest you consider using one of the more than 500 financial institutions that support online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method. 

Otherwise, I suggest you consider most online billers may be set to automatically charge a credit card or withdraw from a checking account and most financial institutions provide free bill pay services.  

For further assistance, contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @KDWILLIAMS - I agree with @Sherlock that you should update to R28.24.  There have been a lot of bug fixes and product improvements made over the last 4 months, some of which might address some of the issues you've been seeing. 
    If you encounter any issues updating from within Quicken, you can do an uninstall and then download and reinstall from within your Quicken.com account or from How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it?.
    As an alternative for paying bills, if your bank supports Direct Connect bill pay you can pay your bills via EFT and/or check (the bank usually determines which is the most appropriate method to use for each payee) from within Quicken.  If you can send a payment to a biller or person by written check you can send a payment to them via DC bill pay.  I've been using DC bill pay with my bank for nearly 20 yrs and it works great.  Quicken does not charge a fee for DC bill pay but you will need to check with your bank to see whether or not they charge a monthly fee for this service as some do and some don't.
    You can get a quick understanding if your bank (or any other banks you might be considering) offers DC bill pay by doing a search on your hard drive for the fidir.txt file.  That path to this file on my computer is C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\Localweb\Banklist\2019\fidir.txt but it might be different on yours.  After you open the file, do Ctrl+F and type in the name of the bank and if the listing line for the bank shows PAYMENT in caps then it does support it.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R31.20 on Windows 10)