Home Quicken for Mac Registers & Transactions (Mac)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Autofill switches payees when I hit Tab (Q Mac)

apollograceapollograce Member
I've had this bug for several years in Quicken for Mac, I keep hoping it'll be fixed.

If I tab too fast out of autofill in the Payee category, it'll switch to a different payee. As an example, I have lots of things I buy from Amazon in different categories - so I have payees like "Amazon Supplements", "Amazon Groceries", "Amazon Auto", etc. If I type "Amazon Sup", the autofill appears for Supplements - but if I see that and hit tab too quickly, it switches to Amazon Auto. If I wait a half second, it'll stay on Supplements.

This is very annoying and really slows down my bookkeeping. How is it not a major bug that you replace my "Amazon Sup" text with something that doesn't even begin with "Amazon Sup"?

Things have become more chaotic since you introduced multiple category options for each payee. Whereas I used to be able to type Amazon Sup(plements), and always get the category "Supplements", now it's pretty random whether I get Supplements or Uncategorized. Unpredictable behavior is never a plus when we want to enter a lot of data quickly.

-Apollo

Answers

• Hello @apollograce

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was trying to test this out on my own as well and was unable to replicate the issue. It would default to what's the closest fill out like it should be doing. I'm wondering what the cause of this might be now. I do have a photo of my register settings as well but I'm not sure if that might be the difference. You can double check yours with mine if you want to test it out if that might make a difference.  To find the preferences you can go across the top to Quicken > Preferences > Register

Does this happen on each register as well? Any more info you're able to provide would be helpful. We'll see what we can try to get it to behave correctly.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• My Register settings are identical to yours. Yes, it happens on all registers.

I made a screen recording of this happening; I don't see a way to attach it here, where can I send it? It's small, just 144KB.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Register settings are identical to yours. Yes, it happens on all registers.

I made a screen recording of this happening; I don't see a way to attach it here, where can I send it? It's small, just 144KB.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• I made a screen recording - it's a movie, not a single image. Is there a way to upload that?
  • Hello @apollograce

Thank you for the additional details, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

If you have not done so already, you may try to drag the video to the Comment box and see if you are able to post that way.

I have seen a few videos posted on the Community, so it's possible to do, however, it may require a specific Community rank.

I have seen some users create a link to the video or even upload the video to Youtube as workarounds.

Alternatively, you may contact support directly for assistance.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • All I get is a "File format is not allowed" message. I'll post it "comic book" style instead...
  • I start typing, and get potential autofills starting with the first letter:
  • Then I keep typing until I see the autofill I'm looking for:
  • But then I hit "Tab", and it resets back to some earlier autofill:
  • Hello @apollograce

Thank you for the response and the screenshots, however, I am unable to recreate this in this my Quicken file.

To help isolate the issue, please navigate to Quicken > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

Next, can you verify where the data file is stored?

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Release is hardly relevant, it's been doing it for every build of Quicken for Mac that I've had for the past 3-4 years. (I happen to have Version 5.17.6 (Build 517.34958.100) right now.)

Is there anywhere I can upload the animation? A key element in reproducing this bug is typing quickly - if I go slowly, it doesn't happen. That's why I wanted to send you the .mov file. I have 1780 payees in memory currently, if that helps.

My quicken file is stored locally, not on the cloud. /Users/apollo/Documents/Quicken/Graces.quicken.
  • Here, I put the video on DropBox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu7djuwsp93p39r/Screen%20Recording%202020-09-11%20at%203.52.48%20AM.mov?dl=0
  • Hello @apollograce

Thank you for the response and additional details. This video did help to display the issue.

I was able to recreate this issue as well. I have gone ahead and reported this as a bug and forwarded the video as well.

I will be sure to update this post as soon as more information becomes available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    Ongoing 10/12/20

No ETA available.

QMAC-19747
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Ongoing 10/23/20

No ETA is available.