Missing Bill and Income Reminders (yet another one)

I've seen this brought up several times but no real solution. For *years* I have used the Bill and Income Reminders as my home page. I rely on it to keep track of what I have paid and what I will need to pay. For months it has been broken, and I have tried the "Combine Bills, Income & Transfers" trick as well as validate and even super validate to no avail. I don't know exactly when this started but it was at least as early as July and possibly sooner. I tried to retroactively put them back for previous months (just so it would look proper) but have given up.

To be clear, all of my reminders and automatic transactions are there for the next and future months. But for the current month, some of them disappear. To fix this, I need to go to the next month and edit the reminder's next due date to the current month and then it will re-appear. Then this all happens again when the next month arrives! It's ridiculous.

In addition to some of the future reminders disappearing, I also have a problem where some of them disappear after being paid. It used to be that every transaction for the month would either show as Reconciled, Due, Received, Upcoming or Auto. Now, some of the reminders (I suspect the future ones that disappear every month as mentioned above but have not confirmed) disappear completely after paying them. So now, instead of seeing that yes, I have paid my Sprint bill and it was reconciled, I see nothing about it. Was it paid? Is it upcoming and Quicken once again failed to show it? This is a ridiculous and dangerous way to manage one's finances! And mind you that not ALL transactions disappear after being paid. Some do stay there and show received or reconciled. But some do not.

So other than what I mentioned, how do I fix this? How did this happen in the first place? And no, I am not rolling back to a backup that is by now numerous months old. I am trying very hard to be polite because I understand that getting angry doesn't help anything but I have been a loyal Quicken user for decades and now that I am paying a premium for a subscription, it is a bit annoying to have such a serious problem. Most - but not all - of my bills are paid automatically but I still rely on the monthly reminders (both upcoming and marked as paid) to ensure that my finances are in order every month.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876084/cant-adjust-bill-reminder-date

The summary is we're no longer allowed to back date a reminder.  
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    I appreciate the reply Sherlock, but that doesn't appear to be my issue. They seem to be claiming that Quicken is not reflecting the new date entered after closing and returning to the edit window but this is not the case for me.

Strangely enough, when I notice that a reminder is missing for the current month (and it happens every month), I can easily go to the next month in the Bill and Income Reminders section, click 'Edit > This instance and all future...' and change the next due date to the same date of the current month and this corrects the problem.

So for example I have a Sprint bill due every month on the 4th. I run Quicken on September 1st, and I see that the Sprint reminder is missing in September (even though it was there for September while using Quicken in August!?!?!?) so I go to October, change the next due date to September 4th, switch back to September and there it is. Once it is paid, it disappears (instead of showing as received or reconciled).

After paying, it will show the next due date in October and will be listed there if I switch to that month. But come October, when I run Quicken again, it is now missing in October with the next due date in November.
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    I have deleted and recreated every reminder that was causing issues. I'm hoping this will fix it but I won't really be sure for a month or two.

I really hope this problem doesn't come up on two infrequent but high dollar bills that I need to start thinking about early every time (and thus have far-ahead reminders set up) : property taxes and homeowner insurance.

I'm fortunate that missing monthly bill reminders isn't usually a huge deal for me other than being very frustrating for someone who likes to micromanage their finances. But unreliable reminders is a serious issue in financial software, in my opinion.

And for me, for most reminders it isn't so much the reminder warning period itself as opposed to the fact that the bills are simply not listed AT ALL when viewing your upcoming and paid bills for the current or given future month. There are numerous complaints of the same or very similar issues that have gone on for a very long time with no resolution from Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinD872 said:
    I appreciate the reply Sherlock, but that doesn't appear to be my issue. They seem to be claiming that Quicken is not reflecting the new date entered after closing and returning to the edit window but this is not the case for me.

Strangely enough, when I notice that a reminder is missing for the current month (and it happens every month), I can easily go to the next month in the Bill and Income Reminders section, click 'Edit > This instance and all future...' and change the next due date to the same date of the current month and this corrects the problem.

So for example I have a Sprint bill due every month on the 4th. I run Quicken on September 1st, and I see that the Sprint reminder is missing in September (even though it was there for September while using Quicken in August!?!?!?) so I go to October, change the next due date to September 4th, switch back to September and there it is. Once it is paid, it disappears (instead of showing as received or reconciled).

After paying, it will show the next due date in October and will be listed there if I switch to that month. But come October, when I run Quicken again, it is now missing in October with the next due date in November.
    It sounds exactly like the same issue to me.  When we attempt to reset the Next due date to the prior due date or earlier from the Bill and Income Reminders window, Quicken displays the change as if it were successful.  If we exit and reopen the Bill and Income Reminders window, the original due date is restored.  This issue is also apparent when we examine the date set for the transaction as we enter the reminder.

Quicken intends to resolve the issue by presenting an error message when we attempt to backdate a reminder.

KevinD872 said:
    I have deleted and recreated every reminder that was causing issues. I'm hoping this will fix it but I won't really be sure for a month or two.

I really hope this problem doesn't come up on two infrequent but high dollar bills that I need to start thinking about early every time (and thus have far-ahead reminders set up) : property taxes and homeowner insurance.

I'm fortunate that missing monthly bill reminders isn't usually a huge deal for me other than being very frustrating for someone who likes to micromanage their finances. But unreliable reminders is a serious issue in financial software, in my opinion.

And for me, for most reminders it isn't so much the reminder warning period itself as opposed to the fact that the bills are simply not listed AT ALL when viewing your upcoming and paid bills for the current or given future month. There are numerous complaints of the same or very similar issues that have gone on for a very long time with no resolution from Quicken.
    Recreating the reminder is a valid work around. 
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > When we attempt to reset the Next due date to the prior due date or earlier from the Bill and Income Reminders window, Quicken displays the change as if it were successful.  If we exit and reopen the Bill and Income Reminders window, the original due date is restored.(Quote)

But as I said, this is not the case for me. Quicken *does* save the change after closing the window, and even if I completely close and restart Quicken. Why it works for me but not others is apparently a mystery but it does. If I only had to do that one time I wouldn't even care. But it happens over and over every month.

I took screenshots but apparently I can't post them.

My newly created reminder for Sprint showed it next due on October 4th (I already paid it for September 4th). I changed it to September 4th then closed the window. Now it shows it as overdue for September 4th and the next one on October 4th. Now, in the past (and hopefully not going forward since I recreated them), the September 4th reminder now stays there, as well as October and all future. But then when I open Quicken in the next month - in this case, October - suddenly the October reminder is missing and the next due date is November.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinD872 said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > When we attempt to reset the Next due date to the prior due date or earlier from the Bill and Income Reminders window, Quicken displays the change as if it were successful.  If we exit and reopen the Bill and Income Reminders window, the original due date is restored.(Quote)

But as I said, this is not the case for me. Quicken *does* save the change after closing the window, and even if I completely close and restart Quicken. Why it works for me but not others is apparently a mystery but it does. If I only had to do that one time I wouldn't even care. But it happens over and over every month.

I took screenshots but apparently I can't post them.

My newly created reminder for Sprint showed it next due on October 4th (I already paid it for September 4th). I changed it to September 4th then closed the window. Now it shows it as overdue for September 4th and the next one on October 4th. Now, in the past (and hopefully not going forward since I recreated them), the September 4th reminder now stays there, as well as October and all future. But then when I open Quicken in the next month - in this case, October - suddenly the October reminder is missing and the next due date is November.
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

To post the screenshots just drag and drop each file on the comment's text entry area.
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    Year: 2020
    Version: R28.28
    Build: 27.1.28.28

Screenshot descriptions below. Hopefully it will maintain original filenames or order but it can likely be figured out by reading the descriptions.

01: Notice there is no reminder for Sprint for September. The next payment is due October 4th.

02: Changing the due date from October 4th to September 4th.

03: I have closed the Bill and Income Reminders window. Note that it now shows a Sprint bill due on September 4th (now overdue) in my home page.

04: After re-opening the Bill and Income Reminders window, the Sprint bill due September 4th is still there (and still shows as overdue).

05: Changing over to October, the original October 4th date is still there. If I were to wait until October and look at this again, it would be missing but there would be one for November and onward. Hopefully this will no longer happen after recreating the reminders.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinD872 said:
    Year: 2020
    Version: R28.28
    Build: 27.1.28.28

Screenshot descriptions below. Hopefully it will maintain original filenames or order but it can likely be figured out by reading the descriptions.

01: Notice there is no reminder for Sprint for September. The next payment is due October 4th.

02: Changing the due date from October 4th to September 4th.

03: I have closed the Bill and Income Reminders window. Note that it now shows a Sprint bill due on September 4th (now overdue) in my home page.

04: After re-opening the Bill and Income Reminders window, the Sprint bill due September 4th is still there (and still shows as overdue).

05: Changing over to October, the original October 4th date is still there. If I were to wait until October and look at this again, it would be missing but there would be one for November and onward. Hopefully this will no longer happen after recreating the reminders.
    Did you enter the transaction in the register using the original September 4 reminder and not delete the transaction before attempting to reset the reminder back to September 4?
  • KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Did you enter the transaction in the register using the original September 4 reminder and not delete the transaction before attempting to reset the reminder back to September 4?

In this specific case, no, because I created the reminder all-new to begin in October since it had already been paid in September. I only changed it to September to take screenshots, as I have been doing this since at least July for a bunch of reminders.

This is why I was saying that this is a different problem from the other thread. My problem isn't that I am paying a bill ahead of time and wanting to retain the reminder for the original date, which, as best I can tell, is the problem in the other thread you are referring to. My problem is that I had about 6 reminders set up that, for whatever reason, are there for the next and beyond months, but keep disappearing once we get into the current month. As a result, I had to keep changing the due date to the current month to get it back.

And even after adjusting the next due date (such as changing it from October 4 to September 4), once the transaction eventually occurs, it disappears from the list of bill reminders altogether instead changing its status from upcoming to either received (if I entered the payment via the reminder but it is not reflected by the bank yet) or reconciled (once the payment is matched to a downloaded bank transaction).

The payment for each reminder should always be listed with a varying status. At least this is how it has worked for years! For half of the reminders it works as it should. For the other half, I need to keep adjusting the next due date every month, and then once paid, it just disappears altogether.

I first noticed this in July but when I looked back, the problem had been occurring for months prior. I know this because Quicken went from showing a dozen or so bills as reconciled each month to only showing a handful of bills as reconciled and the others completely MIA on the Bills and Income Reminders home page. Since most bills are paid automatically, I really wasn't paying much attention until one day I realized that a bunch of reminders were missing and started looking at previous months.

If I recall correctly, I had noticed at one point that accepting downloaded transactions suddenly weren't asking me, 'Is this the next payment to <whatever>...?', but instead were just acting like it was some unknown transaction and not bothering to match it to a reminder. Eventually I noticed that the likely reason was because the reminders were disappearing as each month came.

This is honestly a very weird and confusing problem.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinD872 said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Did you enter the transaction in the register using the original September 4 reminder and not delete the transaction before attempting to reset the reminder back to September 4?

In this specific case, no, because I created the reminder all-new to begin in October since it had already been paid in September. I only changed it to September to take screenshots, as I have been doing this since at least July for a bunch of reminders.

This is why I was saying that this is a different problem from the other thread. My problem isn't that I am paying a bill ahead of time and wanting to retain the reminder for the original date, which, as best I can tell, is the problem in the other thread you are referring to. My problem is that I had about 6 reminders set up that, for whatever reason, are there for the next and beyond months, but keep disappearing once we get into the current month. As a result, I had to keep changing the due date to the current month to get it back.

And even after adjusting the next due date (such as changing it from October 4 to September 4), once the transaction eventually occurs, it disappears from the list of bill reminders altogether instead changing its status from upcoming to either received (if I entered the payment via the reminder but it is not reflected by the bank yet) or reconciled (once the payment is matched to a downloaded bank transaction).

The payment for each reminder should always be listed with a varying status. At least this is how it has worked for years! For half of the reminders it works as it should. For the other half, I need to keep adjusting the next due date every month, and then once paid, it just disappears altogether.

I first noticed this in July but when I looked back, the problem had been occurring for months prior. I know this because Quicken went from showing a dozen or so bills as reconciled each month to only showing a handful of bills as reconciled and the others completely MIA on the Bills and Income Reminders home page. Since most bills are paid automatically, I really wasn't paying much attention until one day I realized that a bunch of reminders were missing and started looking at previous months.

If I recall correctly, I had noticed at one point that accepting downloaded transactions suddenly weren't asking me, 'Is this the next payment to <whatever>...?', but instead were just acting like it was some unknown transaction and not bothering to match it to a reminder. Eventually I noticed that the likely reason was because the reminders were disappearing as each month came.

This is honestly a very weird and confusing problem.
    And I honestly think it is the same issue.  

The issue is not about paying a bill ahead of time and wanting to retain the reminder for the original date.

The issue is about setting the reminder's Next due on: date to a date equal to or earlier than the Next due on: date of the reminder when it was used to enter a transaction that still persists in the register.

In other words, Quicken will no longer let us back date a reminder.

• KevinD872
    KevinD872 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I tried deleting and recreating the reminders and they still disappear.

[removed-rant/disruptive]