Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Download transactions requests a password but provides no place to provide it.

Some time ago Schwab required me to change my login user name, and I did so on their website. At the time I did not update the name in the Quicken Vault. Later it was time for me to download the monthly Schwab transactions into Quicken, and during that process Quicken allowed me to change the user name to its new value. At the same time, the Schwab account started displaying a gold key icon beside the Schwab account in the list of accounts in the download list. Now, whenever I try to download transactions from my accounts, a box pops up with the message "Please Enter Your Password. To continue, enter the password for the following institutions. Chas Schwab for XXXXXXXX." XXXXXXXX here represents my Schwab user name for logging in. The problem is, there is no place to type a password, even though I am told to do so. If I click the line that says "Chas Schwab for XXXXXXXX" nothing happens - it just goes back to the list of accounts. I have checked carefully, and the Quicken Vault definitely contains the latest correct user name and password for the Schwab account. Why isn't Quicken using the Vault info, and why does it ask me for a password but provide no place to put it? I would really like to download Schwab transactions again. Help please!

Best Answers

• JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello @JLSchutt
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I'm sorry to hear that the crashing is persisting.
    >
    > I took the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash report and the internal error relates to a crash condition fixed in the currently staged release for Quicken Windows R29.16.
    >
    > If you haven't already, please download and install this release from here.
    >
    > Once installed, please try once more and let us know if the crash persists.  If Quicken does crash again, please also submit the crash report.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

Sarah, if I could post a great big smiley face here I would do it! After installing R29.16 and linking four Schwab accounts, they were accessed and updated. I was a bit surprised when 4,933 days of transactions were downloaded from each account. That's more than 13 years! Quicken is back on my Good List again. I'm very impressed with the help I got here. Thanks!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @JLSchutt - Revision R28.23 included a fix for a problem that sounds very similar to what you described.  What revision of Quicken do you have installed?  (Help > About Quicken)
    If your Quicken revision is not up to date (R28.28), I suggest you update to it by going to Help > Check for Updates
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

• JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac and Sherlock, I ran a Quicken update yesterday just before encountering this problem and verified that it still exists. I am on version R28.28.

Sherlock, the Financial Institution is listed as "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc." and the Connection Method is Direct Connect.

My wife has been our Quicken person for many years, and the Schwab updates have always worked until the recent mandated change of user name.

Secondary question: How do I make characters bold in a post such as this? I assumed that Ctrl+B would work as it does almost everywhere, but it doesn't.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    >
    > Ctrl + B is bold.  Ctrl + I is italic.  Ctrl + U is underline.  

I have used these shortcuts for many years. When I am composing a message in this forum they have no effect on the text I am writing. I have tried this using both Firefox and Edge. Is there some setting that I need to change to have control over the text in my posts?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLSchutt said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    >

I have used these shortcuts for many years. When I am composing a message in this forum they have no effect on the text I am writing. I have tried this using both Firefox and Edge. Is there some setting that I need to change to have control over the text in my posts?
    I've confirmed the functionality with Safari on OS X and with Firefox and Edge on Windows.

It possible the functionality is limited until you have accumulated sufficient points in the community: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849424/introducing-community-ranks
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I've confirmed the functionality with Safari on OS X and with Firefox and Edge on Windows.
    >
    > It possible the functionality is limited until you have accumulated sufficient points in the community: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849424/introducing-community-ranks

You're probably right. I see this:

Contributor: 51-100 points
    You're a regular here! You've even got a favorite chair. You can now see the WYSIWYG editor when you post, and you'll have a little extra time to edit your own posts and answers.

It's unlikely that I'll accumulate many points. My wife is the Quicken whiz after many years of use, but I'm the computer technical guy who gets involved with problems like these being discussed, like transaction downloads.

Now back on the earlier topic. I decided to take your advice and deactivate/reactivate the five Schwab financial accounts involved. However, in starting the first deactivate, I encountered the following message:

"You are about to delete setup information for an online account. To cancel the service, you must call your financial institution."

This is not an activity I want to start on a Saturday afternoon. Do I really need to talk with a human at Schwab to do this, and for all five accounts?
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution.  After you have deactivated the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution, you may setup the Online Services again being careful to link the accounts found at the financial institution to the appropriate existing registers.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account
    >

Sherlock, I might have taken a step forward, but I'm not there yet. Here's what I have done.

Deactivated our Schwab financial accounts that are associated with one Schwab login.

Started the "Set up Download" process for one of those accounts.

Entered the Schwab user name and password. The connection to Schwab was apparently successful, because a list of the four accounts appeared. The word "Ignore" was listed for the account I was setting up, and the word "Add" was listed for the other three accounts, leading me to believe that the download would be set up for all four accounts at the same time.

I clicked Next and the cash register sound was heard - possible once for each account. I don't remember exactly.

Then the dreaded "Please Enter Your Password" request appeared with no place to type a password. After clicking OK, I saw a message with "Online Services - Set up Now" with all four accounts listed.

The next box to appear said:

Activate One Step Update
    Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
    Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)
    Quicken is having trouble connecting to Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.

One choice at that point was "Try again now". I tried that a couple of times with no success. The other choice was "I'll enter my transactions manually". I did not tell my wife about that choice. She will not be happy.

I have a feeling that the problem is still related to the request to enter a password but nowhere to type it.

The four Schwab accounts are still in the deactivated state.

What is the next step?
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I should add that an independent short login directly to Schwab during this time was successful. I have also verified once again that the Quicken vault contains the correct user name and password.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLSchutt said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution.  After you have deactivated the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution, you may setup the Online Services again being careful to link the accounts found at the financial institution to the appropriate existing registers.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account
    >

Sherlock, I might have taken a step forward, but I'm not there yet. Here's what I have done.

Deactivated our Schwab financial accounts that are associated with one Schwab login.

Started the "Set up Download" process for one of those accounts.

Entered the Schwab user name and password. The connection to Schwab was apparently successful, because a list of the four accounts appeared. The word "Ignore" was listed for the account I was setting up, and the word "Add" was listed for the other three accounts, leading me to believe that the download would be set up for all four accounts at the same time.

I clicked Next and the cash register sound was heard - possible once for each account. I don't remember exactly.

Then the dreaded "Please Enter Your Password" request appeared with no place to type a password. After clicking OK, I saw a message with "Online Services - Set up Now" with all four accounts listed.

The next box to appear said:

Activate One Step Update
    Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
    Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)
    Quicken is having trouble connecting to Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.

One choice at that point was "Try again now". I tried that a couple of times with no success. The other choice was "I'll enter my transactions manually". I did not tell my wife about that choice. She will not be happy.

I have a feeling that the problem is still related to the request to enter a password but nowhere to type it.

The four Schwab accounts are still in the deactivated state.

What is the next step?
    The Ignore implies Quicken thinks the Online Services for account are already activate (perhaps from another sign-in account).  I did suggest you to deactivate the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution for a reason.  Next step: restore a backup and try again. 
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > JLSchutt said:(Quote)
    > The Ignore implies Quicken thinks the Online Services for account are already activate (perhaps from another sign-in account).  I did suggest you to deactivate the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution for a reason.  Next step: restore a backup and try again. 

Sherlock, I have deactivated all of the Schwab accounts as you directed. I then attempted to reactivate them in order to download transactions. I've kept a detailed log of the steps I took, but it's too long to include here, so this is a summary of the significant steps. The result is that I've had no success.

1. Deactivated all 4 Schwab financial accounts.

2. Chose one of the accounts to reactivate. After Quicken connected to Schwab, a list of all 4 accounts was displayed, and all said "Add to Quicken".

3. I was asked to verify cash balances in the accounts being added and did so. No error messages were issued, so I assumed (hoped) that the accounts had been activated.

4. The Schwab accounts in the Account List still say "No (Activate downloads)" and Edit/Online Services for the accounts says "Set up Now", indicating that they are still deactivated.

5. Repeated step 2 above. This time the list of 4 accounts said "Don't add to Quicken" instead of "Add to Quicken".

6. Tried Tools/One Step Update and selected only Schwab in the list of accounts. Quicken went through the 4 accounts and seemed to do a lot of processing. Several "Matching Security" and "Comparing transactions" messages appeared.

7. When looking at individual accounts after this activity, no new transactions for the month of August have been added. We have already received our August statements, and there are definitely new transactions that should have been downloaded.

8. The Schwab accounts in the Account List still say "No (Activate downloads)" and Edit/Online Services for the accounts says "Set up Now", indicating that they are still deactivated.

I am also concerned that a couple of times during the processing I saw a message that said something like "downloading transactions for 1400+ days." Since Quicken already has past transactions for these accounts through the end of July 2020 I expected downloads only for the month of August.

Any advice on how I should proceed from here will be appreciated.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLSchutt said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > JLSchutt said:(Quote)
    > The Ignore implies Quicken thinks the Online Services for account are already activate (perhaps from another sign-in account).  I did suggest you to deactivate the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution for a reason.  Next step: restore a backup and try again. 

Sherlock, I have deactivated all of the Schwab accounts as you directed. I then attempted to reactivate them in order to download transactions. I've kept a detailed log of the steps I took, but it's too long to include here, so this is a summary of the significant steps. The result is that I've had no success.

1. Deactivated all 4 Schwab financial accounts.

2. Chose one of the accounts to reactivate. After Quicken connected to Schwab, a list of all 4 accounts was displayed, and all said "Add to Quicken".

3. I was asked to verify cash balances in the accounts being added and did so. No error messages were issued, so I assumed (hoped) that the accounts had been activated.

4. The Schwab accounts in the Account List still say "No (Activate downloads)" and Edit/Online Services for the accounts says "Set up Now", indicating that they are still deactivated.

5. Repeated step 2 above. This time the list of 4 accounts said "Don't add to Quicken" instead of "Add to Quicken".

6. Tried Tools/One Step Update and selected only Schwab in the list of accounts. Quicken went through the 4 accounts and seemed to do a lot of processing. Several "Matching Security" and "Comparing transactions" messages appeared.

7. When looking at individual accounts after this activity, no new transactions for the month of August have been added. We have already received our August statements, and there are definitely new transactions that should have been downloaded.

8. The Schwab accounts in the Account List still say "No (Activate downloads)" and Edit/Online Services for the accounts says "Set up Now", indicating that they are still deactivated.

I am also concerned that a couple of times during the processing I saw a message that said something like "downloading transactions for 1400+ days." Since Quicken already has past transactions for these accounts through the end of July 2020 I expected downloads only for the month of August.

Any advice on how I should proceed from here will be appreciated.
    At #2, you should have been able to select Link - to existing Quicken account in the pull-down menu which had Add - add to Quicken and selected the appropriate existing account register for each of the accounts as previously instructed.

I suggest you restore a backup and try again.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, it has been a while since I've been able to resume work on this problem, but I did so today. You suggested the following:

==========

At #2, you should have been able to select Link - to existing Quicken account in the pull-down menu which had Add - add to Quicken and selected the appropriate existing account register for each of the accounts as previously instructed.

==========

I did as you suggested and said to link each of the accounts listed by Schwab following the connect to their website to their corresponding Quicken accounts. I was totally blown away by what happened next. Quicken disappeared from my screen and was replaced by a window that said:

==========

Crash Report

BUGSPLAT

A problem has caused your program to close.

Reporting this error will help us make our product more reliable. Please send this error report using the button below. All information is treated as confidential and is only used to improve future versions of this program.

Please describe the events just before this dialog appeared:

(A box to contain the description appears here.)

Contact information below is optional. If you provide it, we will keep it confidential. We will only contact you with information relevant to this crash report.

Name: (optional) Email address: (optional)

"Send Error Report" button "Don't Send" button "View Report Details" button

==========

Because I had never heard of Bugsplat before and there was no reference to Quicken in the message, I opted for caution and did not send the report. I have since read the post here in the Community about Bug Splat (including posts which you made), so I plan to restore a file I backed up just after deactivating the Schwab accounts, try linking them again, and sending the crash report. I'll post the results here after I've done that.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    I have submitted the Bugsplat report along with my name and email address. Meanwhile, is there anything else I can do to hopefully be able to download transactions from Schwab?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLSchutt said:
    Sherlock, it has been a while since I've been able to resume work on this problem, but I did so today. You suggested the following:

==========

At #2, you should have been able to select Link - to existing Quicken account in the pull-down menu which had Add - add to Quicken and selected the appropriate existing account register for each of the accounts as previously instructed.

==========

I did as you suggested and said to link each of the accounts listed by Schwab following the connect to their website to their corresponding Quicken accounts. I was totally blown away by what happened next. Quicken disappeared from my screen and was replaced by a window that said:

==========

Crash Report

BUGSPLAT

A problem has caused your program to close.

Reporting this error will help us make our product more reliable. Please send this error report using the button below. All information is treated as confidential and is only used to improve future versions of this program.

Please describe the events just before this dialog appeared:

(A box to contain the description appears here.)

Contact information below is optional. If you provide it, we will keep it confidential. We will only contact you with information relevant to this crash report.

Name: (optional) Email address: (optional)

"Send Error Report" button "Don't Send" button "View Report Details" button

==========

Because I had never heard of Bugsplat before and there was no reference to Quicken in the message, I opted for caution and did not send the report. I have since read the post here in the Community about Bug Splat (including posts which you made), so I plan to restore a file I backed up just after deactivating the Schwab accounts, try linking them again, and sending the crash report. I'll post the results here after I've done that.
    JLSchutt said:
    I have submitted the Bugsplat report along with my name and email address. Meanwhile, is there anything else I can do to hopefully be able to download transactions from Schwab?
    BugSplat is a crash report utility Quicken integrated into their product to help them determine why the program terminated unexpectedly.

Before performing #2, I suggest you perform a Copy and Validate as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I have followed your advice and run Copy and Validate. The resulting Data_Log.txt file contains 812 lines. Shown below are significant lines within the file with most lines removed and replaced with my comments that describe the lines I removed. My comments are enclosed in brackets.

[Wed Sep 30 20:40:30 2020]

File: "C:\Users\(path of file)Cpy"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[A few missing stock splits are listed for years as far back as 1997. The most recent is in 2013.]
    Placeholder corrections made.

The following transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken. Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted. Please check them and set the category or destination account correctly. Make sure that this does not duplicate transactions.

[There are hundreds of transactions in this list. They are no longer of significance, since they are almost all from the years 1998-2001. A few are from 2002-2010.]

The following securities have prices dated in the future (if your clock is set to today's date). This might cause some balances to display unexpected values.

[There are 10 transactions listed here, and they are definitely typos, with years 2026-2030 and 3006!]

You can edit these by going to the Security Detail View (under Investing Tools), selecting the appropriate Security, then the 'Update / Edit Price History' menu.

Corrected 3 Bought or Shares Added transactions that were incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.
    If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. Listed:

[These are from 2004, 2011 and 2020.]

Duplicate Saved Report "Fixed Income Investments" in "Investment Diversification" removed from "Investment Diversification".

[Wed Sep 30 20:41:34 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 1612/0
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 241 from 1 to 241
    Abnormal references: 242 from 6394 to 20258

Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 5268/483/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 483
    Renumbering complete.

Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 241/483

See Q-Renumber.txt on desktop.
    Validation has completed.

I will now perform #2 again.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Same result - BUGSPLAT notice and Quicken terminates.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JLSchutt said:
    Same result - BUGSPLAT notice and Quicken terminates.
    The Validate and Repair doesn't detect and correct all corruption.  I suggest you give the Super Validate a shot on the copied file: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Validate and Repair

If the crash persists, I suggest creating new manual accounts, moving the transactions from the original accounts, and deleting original accounts before enabling the Online Services to link the registers.  If successful, you'll likely have a significant number of old transactions import to process.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I will try the Super Validate. As to your other suggestion, we cannot even imagine getting involved in creating new accounts and moving transactions. My wife has used Quicken successfully for many years. She is a financial person but not a computer techie. When technical problems occur, I jump in to help. The Schwab downloads have run without problems for years. This whole fiasco began when Schwab mandated that we change the user name on the account, since the existing name was all numeric and they decided not to allow that any longer. The first thing that happened after that was the initial problem described at the beginning of this long thread - a request to enter a password but no place to type it. That problem has somehow now progressed to a point where Quicken actually crashes when asked to link Schwab accounts. We may have to revert to manual entry of data from the Schwab statements.

Am I likely to have any feedback from the crash report that I submitted? Are you ruling out the possibility that Quicken itself might be at fault?

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I appreciate all the quick responses and guidance you have provided, but we have reached the limit of our own capability to address this problem much further.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @JLSchutt

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I'm sorry to hear that the crashing is persisting.

I took the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash report and the internal error relates to a crash condition fixed in the currently staged release for Quicken Windows R29.16.

If you haven't already, please download and install this release from here.

Once installed, please try once more and let us know if the crash persists.  If Quicken does crash again, please also submit the crash report.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Quicken Sarah, thank you for that response. It sounds promising! I am downloading R29.16 as I write this. Something seems strange about the download. The estimated time is about 30 minutes, and the download speed is about 150-200 KB/sec. My Cox Gigablast service is currently measuring 937 Mbps in a speed test. But I will wait and proceed as you suggest.
  • JLSchutt
    JLSchutt Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello @JLSchutt
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I'm sorry to hear that the crashing is persisting.
    >
    > I took the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash report and the internal error relates to a crash condition fixed in the currently staged release for Quicken Windows R29.16.
    >
    > If you haven't already, please download and install this release from here.
    >
    > Once installed, please try once more and let us know if the crash persists.  If Quicken does crash again, please also submit the crash report.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

Sarah, if I could post a great big smiley face here I would do it! After installing R29.16 and linking four Schwab accounts, they were accessed and updated. I was a bit surprised when 4,933 days of transactions were downloaded from each account. That's more than 13 years! Quicken is back on my Good List again. I'm very impressed with the help I got here. Thanks!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hi @JLSchutt

Yay!! I'm very glad to hear it and appreciate your posting back with the update :)

If there is anything else the community or myself may assist with, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks again!

Sarah