Backup file has the wrong date and time.

My backup file has the wrong date. My computer is showing the correct date however, the backup file shows a day behind? example, if i back up today 9/12/2020 it shows
Leno01-2020-08-19.AM07.49-R-28.10-2020-09-11.PM12.24.QDF-backup i backed the quicken file at 9/12/2020 at 2:06 PM . as you can see, the backup file name is dated yesterday and a time of 12:24 PM

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you verify from file properties that the file was actually created on 9/12?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your filename would indicate that you loaded a backup at one time and never changed the filename. Quicken filenames can be problematic and your filename is abundant in both . and dashes. I would suggest renaming the file to something more inline with QDATA.qdf and see if your results improve.
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • LenO
    LenO Member ✭✭
    I will try that but i know that when you add a date and time, it should add the date and time from the computer to the current file name. It isn't doing that. Are you saying that i create a file name like QDataBkup.qdf and it should put the date and time at the end of the file?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    So maybe that is the current backup file without the backup date added to it.  The whole name that is showing with 2 dates listed could be the actual name of your live file.  The file name can get long over time if you open a backup file and use it as your live file and on and on etc.  When you backup there is a checkbox to add the date to the backup file.  Maybe it got turned off.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite. Your current data file should not contain any date nor time in the file name itself, and no reference to backup. The backup that Quicken performs places the backup reference. The system places the date and time stamp every time the file is closed. So the filename does not need to contain any of this. Some users place the year in the name, but that implies year to year which should not be done in Quicken.
    To correctly have a backup add the data and time for manual backups, you need to have the check.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    See the screen shots under backup Quicken for Windows here
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

i would rename your real file to something shorter without dates in it.  Don't put Bkup in as part of the name! Just name it something simple like MyData.qdf so you know it.  Then when you backup you check the box to add the date.  But don't use or switch to the backup file.  Keep using the single MyData.qdf file.  So the backup files should only have 1 date added on (the backup date).

The Quicken data files should be in your Documents then in a Quicken folder.  Then there should be a sub folder for the backups.  See if you have a lot of backup files listed there.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I was surprised to find the following file properties in my Backup folder
    This appears to be an automatic backup with the version appended.  I imagine this was created by Quicken prior to a recent update.  Note that the appended date/time for the backup is different from the last modified date/time.  (it is actually labeled more than an hour LATER than the modified date).  So something is going on with the way Quicken is generating backups.  The labeled & modified times are consistent for all my normal automatic backups.
    I also note that there are now 12 automatic data backups in the folder even though my preference for maximum number of backups is set to 5.   This was discussed in a question a few months ago but I don't believe there was a resolution. 
    Quicken user since 1995
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's start at the beginning (and we are a little off track of your question).
    Leno01-2020-08-19.AM07.49-R-28.10-2020-09-11.PM12.24.QDF-backup 
    • You started with a file named Leno01.QDF
    • I believe at 7:49 AM on 8/19/2020 your Quicken R28.10 release made an automatic backup for your safekeeping == file = Leno01-2020-08-19.AM07.49-R-28.10.QDF-backup
    • You chose (for some reason) to open or restore that backup file thereby making it a 'current file' == file = Leno01-2020-08-19.AM07.49-R-28.10.QDF
    • You then got some automatic backup of that file which became Leno01-2020-08-19.AM07.49-R-28.10-2020-09-11.PM12.24.QDF-backup
    You suggest that final backup was made at 2:06 PM on 9/12/20 rather than 12:24 PM on 9/11/20 -- thus your question.  

The sidebar comments people are making are more in the direction that if you wanted that file as your main working file, you should simplify the name back to Leno01.QDF or something similar (Leno02 maybe).  

Your QDwinsub file appears to be a different base file you were working on.  

Now more to your question --- in my backup folder used for automatic backups and my own specified backups, I see three forms to the name
    • (Myfilename)-YYYY-MM-DD.QDF-backup
    • (Myfilename)-YYYY-MM-DD-(time).QDF-backup, and
    • (Myfilename)-YYYY-MM-DD-(time)-Rxx.xx.QDF-backup
    I believe (subject to correction from those more knowledgeable), that the first style are ones I initiate (Ctrl-B) from the program, the second are the automatic ones Quicken generates per my preferences setup (and potentially subject to a limited number).  I am not clear on the source of the third style.  If these are the reported "each time you update versions", I am getting them more frequently than that, though from the naming style, that makes sense.    

I, too, see discontinuities between the date/time used in the Quicken filenaming and Windows information. 
    • The first style (date only, no time) all 50 match on date.      
    • The second style (date and time; no revision) I had 47 such files.  28 exactly matched date and time (60%); 19 did not.  The 19 missed by amounts from 3 minutes (5:46 PM per windows vs 5:49 PM per Quicken) up to 4 days (5/27 4:36 PM vs 6/1 1:14 PM).  
    • The third style (date, time and revision) -- 33 such files, 1 exact match, closest miss of 5 minutes, largest miss almost 5 days.
    These backups encompass 6 different base files (but mostly 2) over a 6 month period.  Where there is a difference, the Windows time stamp for the file was always earlier than the time Quicken inserted in the filename (like your QDwinsub example this afternoon vs your opening Leno01 example from yesterday).  These backups were all generated with the subscription version R25.18 through R26.23.

Another oddity I noted -- three different times I saw backups with all three naming styles created with the same Windows time stamp.

More often a style 1 named backup will share a time stamp with a style 2 or 3 named backup.  

So, @LenO I seem to be validating your observation with no clarification as to the why.   
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Thank you @q_lurker, for your evaluation, summary and response.  In fact the QDwinsub file data comes from me and was posted simply to show that I also saw the date/time discrepancy described in @LenO's original question.  I was not aware that Quicken would make an automatic backup when doing an update and if it did, I am surprised that it persists after the update completes.  Through an unrelated post, I was able to confirm that I did upgrade from R28.18 to R18.24 on 8/31.  So I would like to know what experience the community has with similar types of auto backups generated during a Quicken update.  I would also like to resolve @LenO's original observation of the date/time labeling errors in identifying these backups.  The reason that the files are dated some time later than their actual creation/modification is unclear and the logic behind creating 3 different backup types at the same time, as shown in your post, is truly a mystery.
    Quicken user since 1995