Quicken 2010 - inconstent registers

Hello,

I have a problem with my Quicken 2010 / Windows.

A while ago, I entered a split transaction in the register of one of my checking accounts (an amount attributed to an expense category, and an amount transferred to another account).

At some point in time, I must have "somehow" deleted the transaction, as the reconciled balance of that account is correct.

However, in the target account, the transfer still shows up!

Quicken will not let me delete the register entry in the target account that corresponds to the missing entry in the source account: "This transaction is a transfer to a split and cannot be deleted here". Since the transaction in question is missing in the source account, I cannot delete/correct it there either....

There does not appear to be a general "refresh" and/or "repair" function in Quicken (same for the Net Worth balance by the way).

I can mask (not fix) this problem with one or two "dummy" entries, but I hate doing that.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "At some point in time, I must have "somehow" deleted the transaction, as the reconciled balance of that account is correct."
    I assume you mean incorrect here since having a transaction missing from a register would make the running balance in the Account incorrect.  Or, are you saying the balance in the Account is correct, even though the transaction is missing from the Account?
    Can you go back through your backups and find a fairly recent backup where the missing transaction is in the checking Account register, and rebuild your financial history from there?  If you can find such a backup then before doing anything else I'd suggest validating that file before making any entries:
    File > File Operations > Copy... and then, using the copied file do File > File Operations > Validate & Repair...
    If you don't have a recent backup you can use then the first thing to try here is to validate the file using the same process.
  • Boffin
    Boffin Member
    I did mean "correct, as the transaction is missing from the source account but still showing as coming from that source account in the destination account".

I have more than 20 accounts around the world in my Quicken... Reconstruction would be "somewhat of a hassle"...

Apparently,there is no simple "Ctl + ..." to do such a refresh...
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Which account balance is correct?  If your checking account is correct it must still be in there.  Maybe your checking acct is filtered or sorted by something and you just aren't seeing it.  In the transfer account you should be able to jump to the other side of the transaction.  Maybe by doing Ctrl+X takes you to the other side.

The only way to "undo" is to restore a backup file from before.
  • Boffin
    Boffin Member
    Edit --> "Go to matching transfer": "The transfer action is to an account that no longer exists in Quicken", even though I have numerous transactions from that "no longer existing" source account to the target account, both before & after the date of the transaction in question...
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a software issue some time ago that may relate.  I would have thought it was after 2010, but won't swear to it.  The bug I am thinking of relates to behavior included in this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17422383#Comment_17422383
    I don't know if that parallels your problem enough or not.  The only solution I recall before the bug was fixed was to enter compensating transactions as you have noted.  The bug was eventually fixed. 
    Perhaps @mshiggins or @volvogirl can recall more.  I have seen what seem to be related comments from them on similar issues during my search process.    
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boffin said:
    Edit --> "Go to matching transfer": "The transfer action is to an account that no longer exists in Quicken", even though I have numerous transactions from that "no longer existing" source account to the target account, both before & after the date of the transaction in question...
    This is an incorrectly worded error message. It would be more accurate to say something like "The other side of this transfer is missing because Quicken has corrupted your data."
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Boffin
    Boffin Member
    Yes indeed, that looks very similar!

I have made a compensation transaction and I am (well, at least my Quicken world is) balanced again :-)