Quicken 2004. Can't open file Windows error.

I am assisting a friend in resolving this error.
After a computer crash a quicken file would open but with most of the data missing.
Other Quicken files will open.

Having restored the data from two different sources. An error appears upon opening,
"Can't open file"

I understand this could be due to a long filename but this does not apply in this case.

I understand this could be due the path to the location of the quicken files being to long but this does not apply in this case.

I understand this could be due the the "archive file attribute" needing to be enabled.
If that is a likely cause is anyone aware of an utility or easy way of doing this.

Are there any other likely causes.

Thank you everyone in advance for any replies.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was Quicken 2004 reinstalled on the crashed computer. If so, go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2004-patches.html and download/install the R3, R4 & R5 patches.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Thank you Greg,
    No it was a minor crash and is still the original installation.
    An alternative file does open OK. However not the one from the backup files.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Sounds like the backup is corrupt.
  • Thank you Greg. The same error appears from multiple separate back ups.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You could try downloading/installing the free version of Quicken 2013.

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
  • Thank you Greg.
    Is the Quicken 2013 a fully operational version
    that could replace the 2004 version
    and be upgraded from permanently.

Or is it a question of using it to diagnose if it will open the file,

Thanks,
    Robert
  • Greg_the_Geek
    No, it's a fully operational version of Quicken Deluxe 2013.
  • Thank you Greg,

Is it downloadable from Quicken.

Robert
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Greg,

Is it downloadable from Quicken.

Robert

Look at the URL posted above for the 2013 version. It points to a Quicken.com server. So, yes, this is a free Q 2013 Deluxe version provided by Quicken for conversion purposes. And, yes, it includes all the patches available for the 2013 version.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    YES!  You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 for free (I think it's the Deluxe version) using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

• Thank you all for your advice.

I will try the 2013 version.
    I was aware that the 2004 version uses multiple files, but not that the files were
    rolled into one with a later version.