Quicken refusing to startup

I use this everyday and typically don't reboot. Used it yesterday with no issues as usual.

Discovered this morning that while I see the icon on the system tray as usual, clicking it does nothing. I can close it, restart quicken, get the password prompt, but still don't see the app pop up on the desktop. I have also rebooted. Nothing else seems amiss on my Windows laptop

Using the latest patched subscription version

How do I debug/fix this?

Thx!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    Thx UKR. So none of this is working.

I uninstalled Quicken, rebooted, renamed my data file, installed from my download from a few nights ago into a fresh directory.

On startup, it seems to hang. I get a red background quicken logo, and that's it. In Task manager the app seems to not be consuming any resources i.e. cpu, disk etc, just 34MB RAM.

I've also tried to install on an older PC - one year old surface pro 4. I repeated the above steps and get " Unable to initialize Quicken runtime components....". Quicken was working fine on this laptop 3 months ago.

Thoughts?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    If you haven't already, I suggest you hover the mouse cursor over the Quicken task bar icon until the preview window appears, right-click on the preview window, and select Restore or Maximize.
  • Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    Those choices aren't listed. All I see right now are "quicken, pin to taskbar, close window"

I am really stuck here, don;t understand why this suddenly stopped working, or where to go from here.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be time to have support remote into your system to better understand what's the issue.
    Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Boca Rat said:
    Those choices aren't listed. All I see right now are "quicken, pin to taskbar, close window"

I am really stuck here, don;t understand why this suddenly stopped working, or where to go from here.
    Sounds like you right-clicked the Quicken task bar icon and not the preview window.  Again, I suggest you hover the mouse cursor over the Quicken task bar icon until the preview window appears, right-click on the preview window, and select Restore or Maximize.