Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Status of a CheckPay payment

How do I find the status? I set up a large payment for Sept. 7.  It is due Sept. 15 (today). As of last night the payee did not receive the check.  I thought 8 days would be more than enough.  When I click on Status in the Check# column, it says "Estimated delivery Sept. 12."  It is due today, otherwise a $50 late fee.  Who is responsible for that?  How do I find the actual date the check was mailed? Help says to look in the "Last Payment Column." I can't find that column. Is it the Check# column in the register?  Help says I can "Track a CheckPay payment" -- how?  Help says there are three status levels -- Scheduled, Processing, and Sent. Help says I can "verify that the payment has been sent."  How? Where do I find that reported for this payment? Too bad the system actions and the help documentation are not consistent.  It seems like some of the documentation still pertains to the old Bill Pay service (Metavante). 
Quicken user since 1991 (first Windows 3.2 version), Beta tester, accounting partner.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    If the check processed, the register status should indicated the date it was mailed.
    Sorry, for the miss information.  This seems to have changed from what I remember.
    My register status now only shows the estimated delivery date & processing date.
    Suggest you watch the video related to Check Pay. 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880076/bill-manager-is-now-live
    Specific for Check :Pay:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ZFk_sH12Q
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Gordon Everest
    Gordon Everest Member ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the video.  It tells me nothing.  In fact, it does not even mentioned a "Scheduled" option and the examples use dates of 2020 January.  That tells me the video is very old.
        Still waiting for an answer to my question.
    Quicken user since 1991 (first Windows 3.2 version), Beta tester, accounting partner.
  • Gordon Everest
    Yes, the second video is more recent, more like July, after the scheduling option was implemented.  It was more comprehensive and provided a little more clarity, such as, the check is mailed on the date specified or perhaps the next day.  I marked your post as "accepted answer" sort of.  I have asked the payee to keep the envelope so we can see when it really was mailed.  Should be interesting.  Stay tuned.
    PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD OPEN UNTIL I CAN REPORT THE ACTUAL MAILING DATE.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have made a couple trial check pay payments to myself so I have some data.  Unfortunately, the envelope just shows Presorted First Class, Denver Permit 2450, there is no cancel, meter or posting date.  One check was processed on the 12th, dated the 13th with an estimated delivery of the 18th.  It actually arrived on the 16th.   The second check actually went to Hawaii, it was processed on the 20th, dated the 21st with an estimated arrival date of the 30th. It arrived on the 26th.  These were made back in May so there may have been some processing changes since then.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Gordon Everest
    That is very useful.  Helps to raise my confidence level a little.  Sorry to hear that the PO does not give a postmark.  That way Quicken can't be held accountable.
  • Darren2@
    [email protected] Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    All Checkpay payments seem to be going out very late. These don't seem to be being processed in a timely fashion. [removed-rant]
  • Gordon Everest
    edited October 2020
    That has been my experience too.  I have now had several CheckPay payments which arrived AFTER the last date of the range we were given at the  time we initiated the payment.  And that range is already very generous.  I have received phone calls from nervous payees, wondering when the payment is coming.  [removed-speculation   And yes, there is no dated postmark on the envelope.  [removed-speculation] If we saw the postmark date we would be closer to determining whether the delay was due to Quicken or the Post Office.  [removed-speculation]
  • LRewerts
    LRewerts Member ✭✭
    Is there a way to verify the address or account number that a check was sent to? I sent a check to a CC company via CheckPay (the electronic payment system was not working for that bank at the time). The register shows that the payment was initiated and printed nearly three weeks ago but has not yet reached the bank. Is there a way to check the address or acct. # of a payment that's already been sent?
  • mzreed
    mzreed Member
    I have also been having long delays in check pay payments. Seems to take at least 14 days. This is unacceptable to me. If a check is sent on the first and it takes first class mail 4-5 days to deliver it should arrive on the 6-7th. There seems to be a long delay in actually getting the check put in the postal system. Seemingly about 5 days stuck in the cue at Quicken. This has been a consistent issue since switching to the new check pay system.

I have already had to fight with a water company and a individual who is wondering where his check is right now!

What is going on?
  • Gordon Everest
    I just talked to Quicken support about 2 check pays that were initiated Dec. 26 2020.  As of today they have not been received by the payee, and they have not been debited to my bank account.  That's over 5 weeks ago.  I was very careful to ensure I had the correct address in Quicken.  I have already paid the premiums and do not intend to use Quicken to make further payments.  We successfully (after much poking around, trial and error) deleted the payments from my bank register (see ticket 8302608). 
       Now my only concern is that those checks are floating around in cyber space.  If they are fraudulently cashed, who is responsible?  I could put in a stop payment order with my bank at a cost of $30 each.  Is that my responsibility?  I feel that Quicken has some obligation to cancel the payment and ensure that the money is not wrongly debited to my bank account.  The payee has told me that if the checks come in, they would credit my account which would go toward future payments.  I don't know if they would incur a penalty if they cashed/deposited the checks and the bank refused to accept them (due to a cancelled or stop payment order).  This whole system needs a little more transparency, and acceptance of liability.