Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Extremely high disk access when moving mouse

What's up with the extremely high disk arm access when moving the mouse pointer over transaction logs ? The disk arm access is so extreme that my laptop has an audible buzz and the disk access light/indicator is high frequency flicker. Stop the mouse, it stops the buzz and disk access light flicker. Move the mouse, hear the buzz and see the flicker. What in the world is up with this ? Is there some sort of predictive reporting or other predictive transaction linking/seeking going on ? Seems like a lot of wear and tear on the disk hardware. Holy Cow ! Please advise.

I'm running Win 8.1 w latest fixes, Quicken 2020 R28.28 build 27.1.28.28.

Comments

• Hello @Lou Cipriano

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. That is quite an odd issue. Has this been a recent thing to occur? I haven't seen this issue previously. If you wouldn't mind let's try seeing in reinstalling the program might help a bit. I'd like to do a clean install to see if that may help us.

A QcleanUI cleans the entire program off the system (Not any data files). The article on how to perform it can be found down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Once you've done the QcleanUI you can reinstall quicken using the article down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-download-quicken-quickencom-after-i-buy-it

Could you try it out and let us know if we're able to change anything. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• I ran the QcleanUI, which in my case according to your instructions for subscription version, was via use of Windows Programs & Features, Uninstall process. I have downloaded from my Quicken account and reinstalled. No change in problem symptom. What is next step ? Thanks.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Lou Cipriano

Thank you for trying the QCleanUI process and posting back with the results, although I'm sorry to hear that this issue is persisting.

The log files are stored in multiple locations across the hard drive, so the extreme activity when hovering over the log files, leads me to wonder a little more about where Quicken and your data file are saved.

May I ask, is Quicken installed to the default location - C:\Program Files (x86)?  Or is it installed in an alternative setup, such as a network? 

Where is your Quicken data file stored?

Was Quicken recently installed on this laptop, or was it previously running as expected and this behavior just started happening?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also, do the QCleanui procedure following the non subscription instruction. The important part is deleting all the old folders except where the data file is if course
  • re. Sarah - I misspoke in the original problem description, not "when moving the mouse pointer over transaction logs", I meant when moving the mouse pointer over the transaction items when viewing account transaction lists/views/records. I'm not in the program or Windows log files, this problem happens when I'm in Quicken window/frame, in std account transaction lists/views/records, I don't know what you call them other than that. Moving the mouse pointer anywhere in the transaction list causes the extreme disk arm access noise and corresponding disk light flicker, even when moving the mouse pointer within one field of one transaction, but also when moving across fields of one record, and also across multiple records. I attached a pic of the corner of Quicken window, the transaction area this occurs in is circled in yellow highlight, but not just that corner of the list, anywhere in the entire frame list of transaction records.
    Install location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    Data file location: C:\Users\Lou\Documents\Quicken
    Quicken has been on this computer for 6 years, back before it was subscription. in fact, I'm guessing I'm a 20+ year user of Quicken. I last pruned my data file in 2014, but I still have transaction records from 2006 in this working file. The data file is 86MB.

re. miklk - I don't disagree with you that all program files and customization settings, files, registry entries, etc. should be deleted in an uninstall, however I hesitate to go beyond what support has instructed. I'm trusting the QCleanUI is performing as needed unless Support informs otherwise. I will add though that QCleanUI did not scrub my computer of Quicken customizations that I had, since after the reinstall I still have my saved reports, transaction list column widths, column choices, etc., but perhaps this info is stored in the data file.

Standing by for next steps. Thanks.
  • reposting pic with yellow highlight are of transaction list noted in previous post.
  • Here's another pic, with Windows Resource Monitor running. This is as near real time as I can get it since I have to clip the RM window after exciting Quicken by moving the mouse over transactions. The speed at which I move the mouse over transactions is directly proportional to the disk access activity B/sec, in terms of RM stats, disk noise frequency, and disk light flicker. Notice all the disk activity is data writes, not reads, that's not what I expected and makes this even more odd. The RM field w/blue icon "6% Highest Active Time" is latent in the snap shot, a 2 or 3 seconds after I left the Quicken transaction list, it was as high as 25% during the mouse over transaction list as I moved the mouse pointer. The "2MB/sec Disk I/O" field was has high as 6MB/sec during that time.

What I can make of this is that Quicken is finding need to write to disk for every detected fractional unit of movement of the mouse, whatever unit of measure that is, pixel, mm, whatever. And the speed at which I move the mouse directly effects the quantity of movements per second, and since each delta movement unit is being reported to Quicken (that makes sense), what doesn't make sense is why on earth is Quicken choosing to record those delta movements in such a fashion that it translates into individual and direct writes to disk ?

Please advise.
  • more diag testing... The issue occurs only on banking accounts, not occurring on investment and liability accounts. It also occurs on a new banking account with only 35 transaction records total, not just years old accounts with 2,000+ transaction records. I don't know how long this problem has been occurring, but I recall noticing it months ago but was too busy to study it. Please advise of next steps.
  • just a thought... consider that many computers now have SSD and no disk access busy light (LED), thus this problem could be occurring with many clients and they don't know it because they don't have an audible or visual indicator to alert them to the issue. What is the priority of this problem ? Seems pretty high to me. SSDs do have a finite, albeit very high, a finite number of write cycles over it's lifetime. Another factor in SSD life and reliability are writes over time, such as per min or per day. Based on what I'm seeing, this Quicken problem (aka BUG) has the potential to wear out persistent storage period, no matter if mechanical-magnetic or solid state ! What is the priority of this problem ? Please advise.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You've never responded to the questions that @Quicken Sarah asked on 9/18.  This info will help us in understanding your issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • re. NotACPA - I replied to Sarah on Sept 19 immediately following her questions, and I believe I answered all of them, and clarified that the issue does not concern Windows or Quicken log files. I have also replied with additional information 4 more times. Please advise.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I can reproduce this! I'm amazed!
    It only occurs in 1-line banking registers. If I use 2-line registers, as I always do, it does not happen.
    Moving the mouse in a 1-line register causes disk activity.
    Edit: sorry the image got cropped but Task Manager was sorted by descending disk usage. Quicken was at the top with very high power usage. Letting go of the mouse caused both disk and power usage to drop.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • re. RJS - I concurr, nice work. The issue only occurs on 1-line register views. So for the time being I guess I'm using 2-line. Still a serious problem, but nice to know there is a workaround for time being.

Quicken Support staff - please advise that you can recreate the issue and that it's on the high priority fix list. Thanks.
  • Hello everyone

I've been testing this on my end as well and do notice something similar although not as high of a write (I'm only able to get up to about .2 MB/s for a short time) I'll be continuing to test this and will let you know what else I'm able to find. If you wouldn't mind could any of you take a screenshot of what columns you have enabled. Also how many transactions you have in the selected register as well. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2020
    Below is the set of columns I get when I switch from my customary 2 line display to 1 line. Interestingly, the Tag & Amount columns show up in 1 line view when I have them disabled in my usual 2 line view.
    This checking account has 4863 transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Thanks RJS for the update. I have a couple of last things to ask. Could you list your processor, amount of ram, and your HDD/SSD. You'll be able to find Processor/Ram by going to Control Panel\System and Security\System. To find the hard drive you'll need to open up Device manager and expand the disk drive section. It'll have the model listed which will help us in finding out more about the issue.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2020
    Unlike the OP, I have a SSD. So I don't hear disk noise. :)

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory    9.51 GB
    Total Virtual Memory    18.7 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    9.19 GB
    Page File Space    2.86 GB
    Disk    INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8
    Size    476.94 GB (512,105,932,800 bytes)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I am seeing the same evidence - disk access via Task Manager, with 1-line register setting, but not with 2-line display setting.  This happens on both a large file and a much smaller file (167,000 KB and 28,000 KB QDF file sizes).  I don't have the noise or any noticeable performance impact.  There is a noticeable difference in task manager info even with a 2-transaction account in the smaller file.  

QW-S 26.23
    Proc Intel i3-3110 @ 2.40 GHz
    RAM 6 GB installed
    HDD Hitachi HTS547575A9E384
  • Hello everyone,

Thank you for your specs and testing more to let us know more information. We're looking to gather some more information from some sanitized files for anyone who is experiencing the issue. If you could go to help > Report a problem.  For the category select other. For the subject line please put ATTN: Francisco.  Make sure to also select the sanitized data file as well and keep the log files selected. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, the Tag & Amount columns show up in 1 line view when I have them disabled in my usual 2 line view.
    This checking account has 4863 transactions.

The settings for columns are different for 1 and 2 line modes, there isn't any stopping you from having them set completely different.
    When in one line mode:

When in two line mode:

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I'm on R29.12 and even selecting the columns that RJS screenshot shows, I'm not able to reproduce this problem.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    For what it is worth, I'm on R29.12 and even selecting the columns that RJS screenshot shows, I'm not able to reproduce this problem.
    It's not worth much to declare you can't reproduce an issue that multiple users have reported.

It's not just you, QPW. People tend to post "it works for me" which is zero help for users who do experience the reported issue.

Q is such a mess by now that it's no surprise various users experience varied problems.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RJS and why did you think I prefixed the statement with "For what it is worth"?

Answer: it may or may not mean anything, and should be taken that way.

But I think you are being "overly critical" when you say that has zero value.

First off I'm on a different release which might impact the result.

Second as far as I can see it hasn't been established how hard this is to reproduce.
    Just because a couple of people here can reproduce it doesn't imply that the problem is wide spread and that the developers will be able to reproduce this problem.  If in fact it is a problem that everyone would see if they are looking for it, and I'm not seeing the problem, then that is useful information, because what is different about my setup matters.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    OK.

s/zero/little/

:D 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, just like your comments.
    Signature:
  • re. Francisco : Quicken-Help-Report a Problem - done as requested, files sent. Computer info attached.
  • Lou Cipriano
    Lou Cipriano Member ✭✭
    Is there any progress on fixing this problem ? Any ETA ? Thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    Hello @Lou Cipriano

Thank you for the response, this is still being investigated and a bug ticket has not been opened as of yet.

This post will be updated as soon as more information becomes available. I am unable to provide an ETA at this time.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Lou Cipriano
    Lou Cipriano Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hello Quicken Support Team, I'm just checking in to see if you are waiting on me for some sort of diag material or action in order to fix this serious bug. As far as I know, I have submitted everything you asked for, and you have confirmed you can recreate the bug at will. Please advise.

I'm really baffled as to what is taking so long to fix this, it's not high on the priority list ? Ruining your client's computers is not high on your priority list ? You've gone through 4 large release packs since I opened this issue. Do we really need a new feature to tack Foreign Bank Accounts ? Really ? FBAR ?

YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOOSE A CUSTOMER, IF THAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU !

Regards. LDC

• jjpuck
    jjpuck Member ✭✭
    Hi Lou,
    I am experiencing every single thing you are as well. I followed each step of the thread and did the same testing you performed to see if I could replicate, and I have the same issues. I am using Quicken Premier 2020, Version R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21. I reported the problem via "help" as Francisco requested.

I too have been with Quicken since 5 1/2" floppy days booting from disk and no hard drive. Yesterday I decided at the store to put back the box I placed in my cart for a new license to Quicken because of how loud and how much disk access the program is calling for. Today, as I opened Quicken, I decided to Google the issue and found your thread. Thank you for your technical prowess in assessing the problem. I hope they fix it, or I'm likely gone when this subscription expires. Subscription means they must fix problems, or they lose the customer. They touted a different and better experience under subscriptions, so why isn't this fixed some three months later?

Thank you, and thanks to all others who posted helpful information. I hope we all see a fix soon.
    James