occasionally my screen jumps from one size to another in Quicken, why?

The computer has just been checked and verified as not the problem. This is only one of many problems I have with quicken but the first that I am trying to determine how to fix.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/screen-flickers-flashes-or-jumps-when-using-quicken-windows

Some amount of flexing appears to be normal given Quicken's GUI design decisions.
  • Followed your directions, looking forward to eliminating the problem (it happens randomly).
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is perhaps the worst support article I've ever seen. Quicken has display bugs, period. They cannot blame them on drivers etc. "Flexing"? "Normal"? LOL.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • How do I increase size of font or bold it to see it better. I increased viewing size in Windows and some parts of a page could not be seen or accessed. I went back to 100%, now I can see everything just very small.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I increase size of font or bold it to see it better. I increased viewing size in Windows and some parts of a page could not be seen or accessed. I went back to 100%, now I can see everything just very small.
    If you haven't already, check View > Use Large Fonts.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is perhaps the worst support article I've ever seen. Quicken has display bugs, period. They cannot blame them on drivers etc. "Flexing"? "Normal"? LOL.
    @Rocket J Squirrel:  I suggest you select Not Really on the support article to provide your feedback.  I'm not experiencing any display bugs other than what I referred to as flexing when the application is launched and the main window appears to be redrawn twice at slightly different sizes. 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @Sherlock I did indeed do that while I was there.

In addition to the size of the window jumping around, there are way too many repaints. I see 3 screen paints when opening Q and when returning from manual backup. This is lazy programming. I programmed graphics starting in the 1980s. When a screen area needs refreshing, and the programmer can't figure out the area's correct shape and size, it is easier just to repaint the whole window. I see a lot of this in Q.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Quicken's main window problems comes down to one design decision.  The decision to have a "fake/no standard" system window frame around Quicken.  this was done so that they can "look like Microsoft" and put controls (global search and other buttons) on the Window frame.

There was short period of time where they had removed such garbage and the main window worked how it should (without the global search box).  But they wouldn't leave it like that, they decided to reinstate the "fake/non standard" system window frame, even though they could have easily put the global search on the real system menu, and not have any of these problems.  But the arrogance of the Quicken Window programmers knows no bounds.  They will not be told that they can't do the same as what Microsoft does even though the reason Microsoft can get away with this same thing is because they have source code and the low level developers to write custom code for them.

The end result is that the Quicken programmers have taken on trying to size and position the main window when in most programs that is left up to the low level GUI routines that have been designed to handle all the complicated different scenarios, like multiple displays, different Windows scaling, ...

The repainting kind of problems I think are much more complicated and much harder to fix.  The users/programmers want Quicken to be "interactive", as as in you change data and the reports, and other GUI elements that are showing need to be updated.

It seems to me that to do this properly you have to design from the ground up to limit such updates to only what has changed.  I don't think Quicken ever had that, or if it did, all the changes over the years have not kept such of a system up to date.  The end result is that they really don't have a clue at what needs to be updated at any given time, and as such send out an update to pretty much everything.  And the also results in multiple repaints as one part updates and triggers and update of another part.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • michaelmanna
    michaelmanna Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [removed-rant] Additionally every time I say ok to an update of the program I end up waiting for minutes while updating a transaction. The computer has been in twice and it works fine. [removed-rant]