Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Check Pay & My Bank Statement Do NOT Match

Paid a water bill at the beginning of the month. Bill was 76.14. Register says 76.14. Bank statement says 77.14. Why? Was there a secret charge of an extra $1 by someone? Who? Why? And why does the Check Pay item in the register not reflect that?

I am really not happy with Quick Pay / Check Pay so far...

Answers

• jrich75jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15
    Some billers, especially utilities, charge a fee for making payments through their online payment system.  When I tried to use Quick Pay for an electric bill, it warned me that there would be a $2.50 fee added to the payment.  I didn't complete the payment so don't know how that would have  been reflected back into Quicken.  If you go to the utility web site, you should be able to verify that a fee was charged.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Ed13Ed13 Member ✭✭
    Interesting. I get to pay both Quicken and my utility company for this great advance in technology. And quicken conveniently records the transaction *without* the fee. I am so not impressed. The old bill pay worked flawlessly for me for so many years. Quick Pay / Check Pay is such a giant step backwards. I spend 10x the time getting bills paid with it then I did before. And now apparently I need to go back and make corrections to on line transactions. WTF.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't use Bill Pay / Bill Manager at all. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, whatever the biller calls it. The payment is debited from my checking or credit card account by the biller on due date. And there's no transaction fee. When I get notified about a new statement having arrived, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to pay the amount due. Haven't missed a payment in many years.
  • jrich75jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16
    UKR said:
    And there's no transaction fee.
    I imagine that if you were to use the billers web site to pay the the bill @Ed13 is referring to, you would be charged a fee.  I know my electric utility would charge you.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrich75 said:
    UKR said:
    And there's no transaction fee.
    I imagine that if you were to use the billers web site to pay the the bill @Ed13 is referring to, you would be charged a fee.  I know my electric utility would charge you.

There's no fee for me, but I remember that I had to pay attention to the fine print on at least one biller's website. They allowed free debit from my checking account, but would have charged a fee for payment from a credit card. So, keep your eyes open when you set up Autopay at the biller's website and choose wisely.