quicken 2011 - can't create a new account (I have 127 or 128 already)

Anyone know how to solve this issue? I read somewhere even if I delete one account it will not alllow me to create a new one once I reach the maximum # (without saying what the limt is for it is for verison 2011). It does say for later versions, 512 is the limit (per account type). It appears in 2011 the total off all is in the 128 range. Can anyone comment or confirm this limitation in version 2011? thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Help / Ctrl-click About Quicken will tell you how many accounts you have. 

That '512 per account type' limit was around well before QW2011.  I am NOT confirming the accuracy of that criterion.

Yes, I have heard the 'doesn't help to delete one' story as well.  As far as I know, it is true.  

What problem are you having exactly?  Any chance of a hidden account what you are trying to duplicate in name? 
  • Leafme
    Leafme Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did try 3 times being sure the name did not already exist. The error said something like "I can't create an opening record" (or similar). Just tried to duplicate it to tell you exactly what is says but check this out. Trying again just now, it let me add two more new ones (one "spending cash," and one "property house." Hmmm... Guess the problem is solved (maybe) but after 30 years of using quicken, this was the first time something like this came up (sweat was starting to pore down my brow as you might imagine). Thanks again so much for your time on this and special thanks for the "crtl-about quicken" tip which yielded:

q2011 deluxe R8
    86mb QDF file
    133 accounts (now that I'ved added 2)
    682 categories
    841 memorized payees
    36 securities
    36,426 transactions (that's what 30 years of using it does it seems).

I will say anything older than about 5 years is almost useless but not entirely... nice to be able to know when I bought the refrigerator that just failed and what I paid for it back then... also helps with inflation observations. As I see it, no point in tossing the old data as it seems to be ok as it is so I keep it. I enter all my records manually since the auto download from credit card feature can't properly categorize things correctly anyway and downloading my brokerage records is not needed as it's easy enough to manually enter the balances every now and then in a quicken singel cash account. Cheers.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 
    • 28 Accounts
    • 204 Categories
    • 35 Memorized Payees
    • 1400+ Securities
    • 63,000+ Transactions
    for close to 30 years worth of records

By my standards, you number of categories is way high.  I think QW2011 supported Tags which is a way to avoid a lot of sort of redundant categories.  Rather than having categories for Clothes:His, Car:His, Recreation:His and then duplicates for Hers, and Kids, you can have the three basic categories and use Tags for His, Hers, Kids, etc.

Your 841 Memorized Payees is also a red flag to me.  You may want to cull that list.  Performance problems have been attributed to a big MP list and perhaps moreso on older program versions.  
  • Leafme
    Leafme Member
    Thanks for the tips. The large # of MPs is likely due to auto saving of them as memorized. I do try to trim it on occasion but it appears to be growing faster than my cleaning of them. Maybe I should turn the auto creation of them off a as well. I also have the "remove them" set at 24 months but maybe that's not working.

I also have QW2016 but my testing of it had a missing feature found in 2011 related to what I see in the accounts bar and associated totaling of those accounts in the view. Need to test it again but as I recall it was a deal breaker for me which is why I'm not using it.

Off hand are you aware of any 2016 additional features that may have been implemented since 2011 that are of value (that's personal of course). I can't think of any since I don't use/need the download feature for any data. Prior to switching to 2011 I was using 2001. I moved to 2011 after finding the 2011 printed reports glitch was fixed by 2011. 2001 did support tags but back then they call them classes and I believe it was appended to a catagory with a /. Later they did break them out separately and changed the name to tags. 2011 works fine for me as is but I need to to keep working fine.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have used Q for 26 years and have over 64,000 transactions, but only 21 accounts. 

Why so many accounts? 

also, I set the auto -memorize to delete after 6 months and still have 380 MPs - it works fine.

I found paying about $5 a month for the newest version of quicken (subscription model) is more than worth it to protect my 26 year set of records and the convenience of automatically downloading the transactions from my bank. 

Since Q was bought out from Intuit, the bugs are not what they were in the past.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    For the people wondering how someone can have more than in the 30+ accounts, my question would be how do you have such a "stable life that never changes"?

I have 21 active accounts, and that is at least one less than I would have if I wasn't semi retired and so I don't have a 401K not mention ESPP, or such accounts.

I have 128 accounts, which came about for these reasons:
    1. Moving.  I have been in 5 different cities/states (not all financial institutions are in all states).
    2. Changing from local financial institutions to online ones.
    3. Changing financial institutions because of interest rates or other services like Quicken support.
    4. Financial institutions getting bought up.
    5. Bugs in Quicken corrupting accounts, so create a new one for the account.
    6. CD accounts, which download as a separate account.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Leafme

Now on to the actual question.

That error you were getting has nothing to do with Quicken limiting the number of accounts.  You should validate your data file and possibly check your disk for problems.

As for memorized payees, as I remember this, it only really became a big problem when they changed the register menu for the payee to a different kind of incremental search.  It was never a problem until about Quicken 2014 or so (same for the categories).  And even then from what I have seen it isn't "consistent".  As in lots of people have reported having lots of them without any problems.  So it isn't clear to me that this is a hard fast rule that if you have a lot of them your performance will go down, let alone have errors.

But to trim them automatically you can set a number of months with this option:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Data entry and QuickFill -> Remove memorized payees not used in the last X months

On to the accounts.  As a test I went ahead and created a QIF file with 511 account names in it and imported it into a new Quicken data file. It created them just fine.
    Then I tried to create another account and that failed with this message.

Note there isn't any difference in what Quicken Subscription (latest Quicken) does:.

You will also note that the article is wrong on the number of accounts you can create, it is 511, not 512.

But that isn't the only thing that the article is wrong about.  I was able to delete one of the accounts and then add another.

On type of that you will notice that the error message says "with the same type".
    When I created the QIF file will all the account names I made them all "Bank" (there isn't a checking/savings/... account type in QIF).  And when I tried to create the new account I choose Checking.  Given the error message I tried a credit card account and it was created just fine, and so was a brokerage account.  So I believe the "same type" are the "fundamental/QIF" account types like this (and maybe some business account types):

On the question of what might be different, as in "subtracted" I'm not going to go into added, because there is too much of that for a reply like this, the budget system was drastically changed in Quicken 2012, and again in Quicken 2013.
    Signature:
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I actually have 65 accounts over time; but I've 'retired' 44 of them by hiding them.  When I click Help, CNTL-About Qucken only the 21 non-hidden accounts are reflected 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Mark Steinman that's strange.  Ctrl+ About Quicken gives me the total number of accounts I have, including the hidden ones.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Checking further it seems that it is a matter of what "hidden" options you select.
    It seems that "Keep Separate" aren't reported on that dialog.

Also closed accounts don't appear on that dialog.

I have never really closed any accounts, instead I just hide them.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Leafme
    Off hand are you aware of any 2016 additional features that may have been implemented since 2011 that are of value (that's personal of course). 

For me, some of the changes in the investment areas have been most significant.  Better handling of spinoffs and acquisitions, corrections to some reports.  For spending (cash and CC) accounts, I don't think my operations have particularly been impacted.  Other areas which have been improved or changed would be budgeting and planners (lifetime and tax).  Those, too, are not areas of importance to me.

I think I moved from 2011 to 14 to 17 and now to the subscription version.  Maintaining the download ability has been the primary driving factor through all those changes.   

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I wondered if closing an account would allow you to create a new account past the 511 limit for that account type.  It doesn't.

@Leafme just so you know the "close account" is something that was added a few years back.
    Signature:
  • Leafme
    Leafme Member
    Thanks for everone's comments and insights. My many accounts is along the same lines as Chris_QPW indicated. Lotsa credit card accounts (34), lotsa mortgage accounts (28 for first and HELOCs), lotsa bank check and savings accounts over years. Just glad things keep on working. I did run validate just now and it found a bad link to an account that I had deleted thinking I had removed all the links to it from other accounts before I deleted it (guess I missed one). Seems to be all ok now. Whew.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just sharing.... my fairly static world -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

26 years of history.....there are another ~45 accounts now hidden and I do allow Quicken to automatically delete memorized payees after 6 months. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    This has brought to life a few things.
    1. The first is that the number of accounts reported on this dialog can't be trusted. The very fact that the closed accounts and separated accounts don't show up on it, gives the wrong impression if one was going to try to find out if they are running up against a limit.
    2. The limit is for the account "type" and as such is much greater than what people thought and a single number of accounts like this is pretty much useless.
    3. And the minor update that the limit is in fact 511 not 512.
    Signature: