Unable to identify difference when attempting reconciling credit card

I'm attempting to reconcile a credit card, but having a cleared balance greater than the statement balance. The total of the charges/debits matches my statement balance. I've tried resetting the status of all the transactions to unreconciled and then manually matching them to my statement to check for duplicate transactions, but found none.

Any ideas?

Running Quicken Windows 2020 R28.28
Tagged:

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    if the card reconciled last month AND you match all the debits / charges then the issue is with the credits......
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    The only credit matches the statement.

The card was issued thru Partners FCU and Quicken had stopped downloading transactions. I switched to importing via QFX. There were a large number of duplicate transactions, but I deleted them all. I've reviewed the register looking for the duplicates, but nothing is showing. That was why I reset all the cleared settings and individually checked each one off from the statement.

It seems like there are some phantom cleared transactions.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does the register balance on the previous closing date still match the starting balance of the current statement?  There may be a problem with older transactions.  It may be necessary to step back in the register, checking it's balance on previous closing dates to find where the discrepancy occurs.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    I've checked both sides of the statement period. I've had previous cases where Quicken tried to include transactions that posted around the statement closing dates but where not included in the statement period.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was referring to possible problems with old transactions.  If the register balance on the previous statement's closing date still matches the statement balance for that date then the discrepancy is within the current transactions.  How big is the discrepancy.  Could it possibly be for a fee that is reflected incorrectly?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    The reconcile window for credit cards does not show the previous month's balance. It has Charges/Cash Advances, Payments/Credits, Ending Balance, and new statement ending date.

The discrepancy is $87.27.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    suggestion: take out last month's statement and try to reconcile using the cut off date on the statement.  Really, you only need to input the cutoff date of the statement and the ending balance on the statement.  Does it reconcile? or is the 87.27 still a reconciling item? 
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    It's showing the same difference. Don't think I saw that last month when reconciling then.

Just checked for July and it's showing a difference of -941.93.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    then the issue is from a prior month....either keep going back in time with each statement until a month reconciles or force the reconciliation with a balance adjustment.

Something weird is occurring if the reconciling amount is $87 one month and $942 in a different month.    
  • JRMagee
    JRMagee Member ✭✭
    I was going to go back and check a couple of other accounts when I discovered the screen where you enter the balances are different between online vs. manual transaction updating.

Partners FCU dramatically changed their website the past couple of days. Prior to the changes, Quicken would report an error and asked if the password had changed. I would reply "no" and it would attempt again with no errors but also no updated transactions. Quicken has not yet adapted to the new website, so I cannot attempt to switch back to online transactions, and Partners removed the option to download QFX files.