Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get Check pay to work again?

Check pay was working fine for me until tonight when I tried to pay a bill. After entering the payment I got the error cannot address account list. Then I got the error that the account needed to be reverified for check pay but when I attempted that I again got the cannot access account list error.

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @ronald.lebel

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I have taken the liberty of reviewing your Quicken Bill Manager account and I see that that there are two accounts at the same bank that have been verified.

These 2 accounts have different account numbers. It would apoepar that an account that was not previously enabled for Check Pay was selected to make a payment, which returned the message that it needed to be enabled.

Are you now able to make a Check Pay payment successfully or do you encounter an error message? 

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken only shows one verified account although until yesterday I had 3 verified accounts. Yesterday when I attempted to re-verify the 2 accounts I got the "cannot address account list" error. This morning the verification process seems to have started correctly, I hope all will work again when I get the deposits.
  • After I successfully revalidated my accounts I attempted to pay an existing check pay merchant and got the error "Could not access biller information"; I got the same error for other payees. I then created a new payee with exactly the same information and it appeared to work. But now I have two identical payees in my check pay list, one doesn't work. And my other old check payees also don't work. How do I delete the bad payees?
  • Hello @ronald.lebel

Thank you for the reponse and the additional details, I am glad that you have been able to isolate the issue a bit further.

How are you going about initiating the Check Pay payment? Are you using the bills and income screen or the register?

If the program is trying to access the biller, it sounds as though the payment is being paid via QuickPay. Quick Pay uses the online biller to send the payment.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Hello @ronald.lebel

Thank you for the response and the screenshots of the error, it does appear that the CheckPay payee is in fact being used.

I have another step I want to try, please choose a payee that is returning this error and follow the steps at the link below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-copy-bill-pay-option

Please let me know if you encounter any issues or if the payee works as expected after this process.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I just tried that, creating a new manual bill and allowing check pay. I got "matching payee not found" when I tried to copy the information.

However, that isn't the problem I have anyway - I am trying to pay from the register and as I showed in the screen shots I sent I have a list of check payees that don't work - and not in the screen shot that one payee Blue Skies appears twice. One of those is an old one that gives the "could not access" error, the other is a new one I created from the register pull down and it works. How do I delete the old ones that don't work?
  • Hello @ronald.lebel

Thank you for giving those steps a try, I was hoping those steps would help to "shake something loose" I apologize that the trouble persits.

I would next try the steps below to remove the payees, please let me know how ti goes.
    1. Open the Online Payee list in Quicken.
    2. Select the payee you want to delete, press the CTRL key and click Delete.
    3. Click Yes or click OK to the confirmation prompt.
    Please let me know if you encounter any issues!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I just tried that with Blue Sky, it still appears twice in the check pay list when I try to pay in the register. Another payee that appears in the register (and does not work) isn't in the online payees at all. Note that the online payee list is from Quicken Bill Pay and the check pay list is a different list which doesn't seem to be able to be edited directly.
  • Ah, thanks! That let me delete all of the non-functioning Check Pay entries. Now all I have left is working check pay entries and a single bad Quick Pay entry. But I can't find a similar Quick Pay list to allow me to delete that. I have no online billers.

One more bit of help?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well you need at least one online biller to set up Quick Pay & also Check Pay I believe.  It may not be possible to remove them all.  You should be able to see Manage Online Billers under the Gear on the B&I, Bills, by Date (other settings may work to display the gear).  I have one set up for a biller we seldom use so it doesn't get in the way....
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021