Release 29.9 issues with old transactions

robquimby
robquimby Member
Don't load this release R29.9! Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. It brings back lots of old transactions. They seem to be old scheduled transactions, and affect the balance. They show up as not cleared transactions so they can be deleted, but they come back the next time you open Quicken. I reverted to R28.28 and restored from a pre R29.9 backup and all was fine except that I lost the new entries from this morning.

Answers

• I agree with this post. However, when I re-opened Quicken R29.9 the uncleared transactions went away and the balance in my checkbook went back to what it is supposed to be.

But, there is still a problem: The Checking account balance in the Accounts Bar (mine is on the right side of the screen) is NOT correct. Off by more than $2,000. When I run a report to get the account balances (Reports>Net Worth & Balances>Account Balances), the report shows the correct checking account balance and DOES NOT match what is in the Account Bar.
  • I deleted all the errant entries and closed and reopened quicken 29.9 and they all came back. It opens with a question about "it this the 7/3/20 (some date) transaction..." like when you enter a transaction that is in the scheduled list.
    I did not notice the balance in the Accounts Bar, I was busy wondering why I had more $10,000 in the red in the register. I won't be updating for a while that is for sure.
  • For the masses - sorry about posting twice it is my first post, and I got confused when I thought I posted and it immediately asked for a comment.
  • My checking account balance at the bottom of the register was thousands of dollars off. I did a Reconcile (I reconciled last weekend and everything was fine (pre 29.9)) and it came up with a list of transactions, some of which had a check by them, some did not. A couple of the payment transaction were appropriate/recent. Others were from 2010. Same on the Deposits side of the dialog box. I went back to the register and tried to find the transactions. I could not find two supposedly cleared transactions on the Payments side (they had checkmarks). Two that were not checked were part of a Split transaction (a paycheck from 2010). I'm not sure why they were even considered a "transaction" to themselves. When reconciling, I have NEVER had to reconcile parts of a split transaction, so why now they show up, I don't know.

The Difference at the bottom of the Reconcile dialog box showed a difference of over $10,000. I just clicked Finish Later.

Since I didn't know what to change in the register to attempt to fix something (all the transactions were from 2010 and they didn't account for the difference in what I was seeing at the bottom of the register), I left it alone and started looking at the balances in other accounts I have. They all looked reasonable.

Perplexed on what to do I just shut down Quicken. I wondered if it was possible to back to a previous release, but couldn't find out how to do that. After a few minutes and gulps of coffee, I started Quicken again and the balance in the checking register changed to what it should be (matches my physical checkbook). I performed another Reconcile on the checkbook and the odd transactions that showed up initially were no longer there.

But, I still have the problem with the value in the Account Bar. I'll live with that for now, knowing it is off but the register itself is OK.

I'm not sure if anyone at Quicken reads this or not. Good luck, Rob. I hope this long-winded reply helps. I never got the question you mentioned (I've seen that question before like you mentioned, but not today).
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Curious, are you using QMobile/Q-Web?
    I did not experience what you did with the R29.9 release.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • I've been using Quicken (Windows) since 1995 or 1996. I've never seen anything like this. Just that shutting down and then opening back up gives different balances in a register seems squirrelly to me.
  • It gets stranger and stranger.

I shut Quicken down again. (I was going to save a backup file, but it said the disk was full (I save the file to a USB drive, which has a number of backup files), so I clicked cancel so I could go to File Explorer and make some space by deleting files. I was surprised to see the program total quit. I thought it would have just cancelled the shutdown process since I could make a backup. Surprise!

I deleted files and re-opened Quicken.

Now, the value in the Accounts Bar is what it should be.

I wonder what will happen when I re-open it next time.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2020
    First make a copy of your data file.

Then, in one of the registers where the balance is off, use the gear icon to to change the sort option to "Order Entered".  This will put the last group of downloaded entries at the end of the register. (Note- these duplicates get added by SYNC so they do not show up in the download tab of the register)

You will likely find a bunch of duplicate register entries going back as far as 2017; curiously coinciding with the 3 years that mobile goes back.  Some of the entries might even be Reconciled.  Begin deleting them in bulk using the shift key, but note if you have a lot of R status duplicates, consider changing them to uncleared or cleared first as R will prompt a warning window for each entry.

In testing, I found this only happened in spending accounts that had once been connected to Mobile, even if they are not currently. Be careful as you get to the last valid register entry, not to delete a valid entry.  Check all of your spending accounts using the Order Entered sort; even if the balance looks right you might find a few duplicates that cancel each other out from a balance perspective.  Then change the register sort back to Date when you have them corrected.  I found it to be a one-off download, but if you later use a file copy or backup, it will happen to the copy if you haven't gone through this process with the copy.
  • I found the extra transactions by filtering on "uncleared" and deleted those and it fixed the register. It may be Sync, but all the extra transactions were also Scheduled Transactions. I have been using Sync, but the Qweb version is so anemic that I never use it and have not used the mobile version in a long time either. When I reverted to 28.28 it seems to have removed the Accounts to Sync, so I will probably leave it that way.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    A comment about QMobile/Q-Web.  They use the Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) to hold the information that is displayed in them.  The QCA does updates from the financial institutions for the synced accounts independently from anything being done in desktop Q and then Q attempts to match those transactions with the ones downloaded (or auto-entered via schedule) into the desktop.
    So, there is no telling what issues it can cause when it acts up, just like you are seeing after the R29.9 release.

• I don't know if Quicken Dev/SQA ever reads this forum, but I need to find a way to report this formally. As a retired Software Engineer
    and SQA Manager I have to love that they put out a release on a Friday night. Have a nice weekend everybody :)
  • Splasher: I have never been really really comfortable with the "cloud". I use it but I am always a little leery. Guess I am too much of a control freak with my data.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @robquimby
    You can report errors directly to DEV via the Help menu in Quicken.
  • Actually as it turns out the accounts that had the bad data have the downloads from the financial institution turn off, it does not work well with my bank.
    The long story is that I left this bank 20 or more years ago because it was not user friendly, and thru a series of acquisitions/ mergers I am back. And I keep remembering why I left this bank. But that is unrelated, except that the auto download should not be involved for me... I think.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    robquimby said:
    I deleted all the errant entries and closed and reopened quicken 29.9 and they all came back. It opens with a question about "it this the 7/3/20 (some date) transaction..." like when you enter a transaction that is in the scheduled list.
    I did not notice the balance in the Accounts Bar, I was busy wondering why I had more $10,000 in the red in the register. I won't be updating for a while that is for sure.
    When I look over this description of what happened it makes me wonder if this is a problem that has been reported by some users from time to time.

The problem is that an automatic entry scheduled transaction(s) gets corrupted and Quicken thinks it needs to enter a whole bunch of old scheduled transactions to "catch up with missing transactions".

Sometimes when this happens it wants to add so many transactions the person can't even open the data file.  The fix is to set the system date to several months in the past and delete the problem scheduled reminder.

Note the question of "is this the 7/3/20 (some date) transaction..." is the question that Quicken asks when a reminder is being added that looks like a transfer.

And just for the record I'm on R29.9 and don't have the problems reported here.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/