Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Electronic Bill Pay No More - Quicken Going the Wrong Direction

I want to say how displeased I am with Quicken removing Bill Pay service from the software. I started using Quicken in the early 1990's when they were using CheckFree. Then later they changed to Quicken Bill Pay. I main reason I purchased the software in the 90's was to pay my bills electronically and it worked great. Now when I reconcile a statement, I either have to print or hand write a check. The Quicken software is going the wrong direction. The program is pretty much useless for me now except for tracking my finances. I recently receive an email that the cost of my membership is increasing. I am not sure how much longer I will be using Quicken in the future.

Comments

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The vendor canceled their service to Quicken.
    However.Quicken did add their own Bill Payment in the program. It works but is a work in progress since it is new.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880076/bill-manager-is-now-live#latest
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I don't use Bill Pay / Bill Manager at all. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, whatever the biller calls it. The payment is automatically debited from my checking or credit card account by the biller on due date. And in most cases there's no transaction fee*. When I get notified about a new statement having arrived, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to pay the amount due. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

*Some companies may charge for withdrawals from credit cards, but offer direct debit from checking accounts for free … or vice versa … read the fine print on the biller's website to choose the no-fee option

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Quicken did not remove the online bill payment functionality from the software.  Metavante Payment Services decided to terminate their Quicken Bill Pay service.   Quicken still provides access to the online bill payment services at over 500 financial institutions over the Direct Connect connection method.

If you do not want to switch to using one of these financial institutions, you may be able to use the Quick Pay and Check Pay payment services Quicken recently introduced to meet your needs.

Otherwise, I suggest you consider most online billers may be set to automatically charge a credit card or withdraw from a checking account and most financial institution provide free bill pay services. 
  • I don't care who canceled the old service. It's not relevant. The *only* useful thing in quicken was the ability to write checks through quicken. Bill manager is completely worthless.

If this is the best quicken can do, just hang it up.
  • Sherlock, please list the 500 financial institutions you referenced above for direct connect with checking and bill pay. THEY SOUND WONDERFUL! Less than 30 days after quicken floated this absurdly inadequate bill pay system, I'm excited about taking my business elsewhere. Please forward a list of competing services.

By the way, quicken, I too have used your service since the mid 1990s. The last 10 years have been a long, bitter, disappointing experience. You cost too much and do too little, and what service you do supply is unreliable.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock, please list the 500 financial institutions you referenced above for direct connect with checking and bill pay. THEY SOUND WONDERFUL! Less than 30 days after quicken floated this absurdly inadequate bill pay system, I'm excited about taking my business elsewhere. Please forward a list of competing services.

By the way, quicken, I too have used your service since the mid 1990s. The last 10 years have been a long, bitter, disappointing experience. You cost too much and do too little, and what service you do supply is unreliable.
    The list of financial institutions I generated in the spring of this year providing online payment services from within Quicken 2020 is attached.  You may glean the same from the fidir.txt file Quicken maintains within the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken folder.
This discussion has been closed.