Home Before you Buy

Bought Starter - really need to have the Home & Business - how to upgrade ?

mmcglynnmmcglynn Member ✭✭
edited September 22 in Before you Buy
:s I mistakenly bought the Starter Edition, but what I really need for my business is the Home and Business edition. Can I upgrade the version I have? When I look at the support documents, it says that I can upgrade only after my current license expired in 2021. That's not going to work. What can I do? Do I have to just start over and lose the money that spent on the Starter edition?

Answers

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mmcglynn,

If you are using the Starter edition and your "current license" in your words - which I believe must actually be your "current subscription" - expires in 2021, then you can move to the H&B edition at any time.  You were apparently reading one of Quicken's "support articles that calls an "upgrade" which, according to the guidance included there, is when you move from one version to another version - such as from Quicken Deluxe 2014 to Quicken Deluxe 2017. 

If what you want to do is move from one Quicken Subscription "version" to another "version" then you can do that at any time, but you will have to pay more for the more costly H&B version.  To make this happen in Quicken - go to "Help" > "My Quicken Account".  In the middle of the pop-up, you'll see a line "Quicken Starter" edition and beside that will be a link titled "Change Plan" .  If you click on "Change Plan" you can effect the move from Starter to Home & Business by clicking on the "Upgrade" box at the bottom.  Once you complete that process you should then be able to access the features of H&B.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We may upgrade any time during a subscription but no more than once every 30 days.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • mmcglynnmmcglynn Member ✭✭
    I did at @Frankx suggested. However, when I clicked the "purchase" button, I got the following message.

"You currently have an active membership that is valid until Jun 16th, 2021. You could chose to renew at a different membership level closer to your renewal date.
    You will continue to enjoy the features of Quicken Starter Until Jun 16th, 2021."

I quit the application and went back to my account, I am still at the Starter level.

I don't know yet whether my card has been charged. Why is this so difficult? I have never used and application that refused an upgrade in this way.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @mmcglynn

I am not sure what could have gone wrong and I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Did you click on the on the button inside the "Home & Business" box? See snip below, but keep in mind that yours will look a bit different as I am already using H&B.

If you aren't able to upgrade via this method, you should call Quicken Support and they will help you get upgraded - here's the LINK with information.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmcglynn said:
    :s I mistakenly bought the Starter Edition, but what I really need for my business is the Home and Business edition. Can I upgrade the version I have? When I look at the support documents, it says that I can upgrade only after my current license expired in 2021. That's not going to work. What can I do? Do I have to just start over and lose the money that spent on the Starter edition?
    Hi @mmcglynn ,

If you purchased the Starter version, less than 30 days ago, then you can get a refund.

Once you get the refund, you can purchase the Quicken Subscription Product Home and Business for $99.99 from Quicken or for $89.99 from Amazon.com.

Then you buy from Amazon.com, you are buying from Quicken, Inc, just for $10.00 cheaper.

However, you will need to apply the Activation Code, found on Amazon, in your Software Locker after buying the product.

There is no need to uninstall and install again.

Go under Help to Enter the Activation Code within the Quicken program.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25
    mmcglynn said:
    I did at @Frankx suggested. However, when I clicked the "purchase" button, I got the following message.

"You currently have an active membership that is valid until Jun 16th, 2021. You could chose to renew at a different membership level closer to your renewal date.
    You will continue to enjoy the features of Quicken Starter Until Jun 16th, 2021."

I quit the application and went back to my account, I am still at the Starter level.

I don't know yet whether my card has been charged. Why is this so difficult? I have never used and application that refused an upgrade in this way.
    I suggest you select Help > Check for Updates after your purchase as directed in the Quicken Support document I referenced earlier.

If the issue persists, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.