Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why are scheduled updates hanging?

"One-step "Update Now" works fine, but scheduled updates never complete. (I get the "wait for the scheduled update to complete" message when I try to start Quicken.) I have to kill tasks and then start Quicken. When I do, it appears that the update actually did download the expected data but was still waiting for something. Any suggestions on how to find out what it's waiting for?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @NABATO

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • NABATO
    NABATO Member ✭✭
    Quicken - Deluxe
    Year: 2020
    Version: R29.12
    Build: 27.1.29.12

Windows 10 Home x64-based PC
    Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1082)

Data file in C:\Users\{USER}\Documents\Quicken
  • Hello @NABATO

Thank you for the response and for the additional details.

If you are still experiencing this trouble, I would next attempt to sign out and sign back into the program.
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    4. After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID
    Please let me know if the resolves the issue or if the trouble persists.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • NABATO
    NABATO Member ✭✭
    Partial success so far. I followed the four steps yesterday. This morning I was prompted for the vault password, and the background update started. Two hours later it was still running, although Task Manager reported that both Quicken and the background agent were using 0 CPU, disk, and network. When I killed the Quicken processes, I could start Quicken, and the one-step update summary reported that all accounts had been updated. There was an error reported on the cloud sync. When I rescheduled the update with cloud sync unchecked, it did complete. So there's something in cloud sync that blocks scheduled update completion but works (or at least doesn't block) when run manually.
  • Hello @NABATO

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

Please go into the One Step Update Settings and see if you have the option to "Sync to the Quicken Cloud" checked.

If this is checked, please uncheck this option and see if this resolves the issue.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • NABATO
    NABATO Member ✭✭
    Yes, unchecking cloud sync does keep the scheduled update from hanging. However, since that means that I no longer have cloud sync, it's not really a resolution--more a case of exchanging one problem for another. Good thing I don't use the mobile app much.
  • NABATO
    NABATO Member ✭✭
    It looks like the cloud data was the problem. Once I reset that, a scheduled update was able to complete cleanly.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.