Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

New Bill Manager Erroneously (in my opinion) Increments Date for Mark as Paid Bills

I’ve been a loyal Quicken user for 20 plus years. The product is generally excellent, but customer service and response to reported problems is lacking. I’m frustrated with Quicken’s lack of response to customer comments regarding improvement suggestions and apparent bugs.

I have submitted numerous issues to the Tech Support Group and through the Report a Problem tool. None of them have been addressed with a Quicken response or a fix. Windows Release 29.12 was just pushed out today (that’s when I got it) and my reported bug on the Bills & Income/Bills screen is still not fixed after months and multiple reports.

I have pointed this out to Tech Support at least three times on the phone, sent at least two, maybe three, through the Report a Problem tool. Tech Support suggested I post it to the Community as they have told me they don’t have a good reporting path directly to the Developers. Quicken should seriously look at fixing that shortcoming in the feedback process.

There is, in my opinion, a serious with dating the Mark as Paid bill action. I did see some reports of this issue by others in the Community, but it’s never been fixed. Quicken representatives just keeps asking for clarification and then nothing happens. You shouldn’t need clarification. Look at the code design and decide whether it works per the design requirements. If it does, I submit the design requirements are incorrect.

On a Bill, one of the selected actions is to Mark as Paid. When a selected Bill is Marked as Paid, the Last Payment field updates to Marked Paid as of the current date when marked. This date erroneously increments every new day to the new “current” date. Sep 18 becomes Sep 19, then Sep 20, etc. The date increments merely by starting Quicken on a new day. It has nothing to do with Updating Bills, or anything to do with the status on someone’s servers, etc. I submit the code is designed displays the current computer clock date, thus incrementing to the current date whenever Quicken is started. In my case, this is on a PC Windows 10 desktop.

This date display cannot be right. I challenge you to logically defend why such operation is correct.

The date should be recorded and locked to the date on which the Bill was Marked Paid, and the date should not move from that. If I execute a Mark as Paid on a Bill on Sep 10, it should still show Sep 10 when the current date is now Sep 23. This erroneous dating occurs on all Bills that have been Marked Paid, not just specific bills, and does so just by starting Quicken on new date without performing an Update Bills action.

The fact that this date is not locked to the date actually marked is quite confusing. Please fix it. If you don’t, please provide a rational response and technical explanation as to why it won’t be fixed. Also, please review methods to better respond to Users' comments and suggestions. In my opinion, the current method is completely unsatisfactory.

Speaking for myself, I find Quicken to be an indispensable financial tool. I use it every day. I only want it to be the best product it can be. As said above, I have pointed out numerous issues over the years. Few, if any, have been addressed. One example is the Investing tab display of Portfolio Amount Invested and the ROI calculations. I understand how Quicken is doing these, but you can’t actually believe they are correct. They make no sense. Contact me and I’ll be happy to explain.
Regards, Clark C.

[Edited Readibility] 

Answers

• Hello @Clark C

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize for any frustration or confusion you have experienced. 

To clarify, you will not receive a response when using Report a Problem from within the Quicken program.

As for the issue you are seeing when marking a transaction as paid, I do need more clarification as I do not see this issue in my Quicken file I apologize.

In my Quicken file, the Last Payment column is filled in with the due date of the bill, but I do not see any the date changing to today's date.

I was unable to locate a development ticket for this issue it is most likely due to this issue not be reproducible. If you have seen this topic discussed previously, please provide the links to the discussion so that I may research this more thoroughly.  

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Clark C
    Clark C Windows Beta Beta
    Tyka - Thank you for your prompt attention. I’d like to suggest the only way to resolve this is to share my screen with you to show you the problem. To me, it’s very obvious.
    If you have the ability to share screen, please call me (San Jose, CA), or provide a number for me to call. If you can’t do a share screen, then at least we can have a more efficient verbal discussion.
    Since this comment is posted publicly, I don't want to list my phone number here. It is in my Quicken ID account. Is there someway for you to find it, or how do you suggest continuing this discussion and possible demonstration.

Clark C.
  • Hello @Clark C

Thank you for the response!

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I would love to know if this issue was resolved, as I am having the exact same problem. Furthermore, Quicken has not been pulling in my online bills since this started happening. I keep refreshing the bill, but it still shows as marked paid on the current date. ALL of my online bills are showing marked paid on the current date, just as Clark noted here.
  • Clark C
    No. Marked As Paid still increments to current date. I've called Tech Sppt numerous times. They don't have a good communication path with the developers (coders), so nothing gets done to reported problems. Their feedback path to developers is very ineffective. My Online Bills quit updating about two/three weeks (?) also, so something else got messed up. Also, the PDF statements icon still shows, the the statements are gone on most of the Bills. I'm quite disappointed in Quicken regarding all this, but I still find it an indispensable tool overall. Wished they listen to users and fix things. Their CEO needs to know this stuff is happening and take steps to get reported bugs investigated and fixed. Nothing I've ever submitted through Report A Problem gets fixed either.
  • Clark C
    I replied to Quicken Tyka last night (Nov 12) regarding the Marked as Paid date issue in the Bills screen.  Finally, after many months and numerous reports to Tech Sppt, she acknowledged she found the ticket submitted to Tier 2 Support months ago, that this problem has been duplicated by them and is now a known issue to be fixed with no ETA.  Quicken Support and Development Teams really need to improve their customer/user problem/bug report analysis and response methodology.  This has taken months.  I'm not going to hold my breath as to when it'll be fixed, but maybe we're making progress..