Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Chase Bank checking - No option for paying bills.

Using the Direct Connect method. "Reset Account" returns synch errors for checking account & 2 credit cards. Quicken Bill Manager and Bill Pay are both "Enabled".

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @vgordy -  Can you be more specific about the "synch errors"?  Are you getting any error code(s) and, if so, what are they?
    Also, Chase requires that we activate Quicken in our online accounts before Quicken can access them.  If you have not done that already, log into your online account and do a search for "Quicken".  That will pull up a link with instructions on how to activate Quicken for your accounts.  It's a fast and easy process to complete.
    Regarding bill pay options: You should have only one option enabled (Quicken Bill Manager or Bill Pay), not both. 
    Quicken's Bill Manager is a Quicken bill pay service via a 3rd party company.  Unless you have Quicken's Premium or Home & Business versions you will be paying Quicken a monthly fee for that service.
    Direct Connect Bill Pay is for paying bills directly with your bank.  Many banks require that you have set up bill pay service in your online account before you can use their bill pay service.  Quicken will not bill you a fee for this service but some banks will charge you a monthly fee for using Direct Connect Bill Pay while others do not.  You will need to check with Chase on both of these matters if you have not already done so.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • vgordy
    vgordy Member ✭✭
    #1 There are no error codes on the cloud synch errors. The Severity is "important", the Repair is "ignore" or "update".
    #2 Quicken is enabled with Chase. I am downloading payments and deposits daily.
    #3 I have Quicken Premium.
    #4 The only option I see on the Chase website is the "Pay Bills & QuickPay with Zelle". Neither of which involve Quicken.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgordy said:
    Using the Direct Connect method. "Reset Account" returns synch errors for checking account & 2 credit cards. Quicken Bill Manager and Bill Pay are both "Enabled".
    Just to clarify..... what is it that you have been doing, or wanting to do - that is failing ?
    As mentioned above by @Boatnmaniac - Quicken has terminated their "Bill Pay Service" with their outside contractor - and created a new up and running service called "Bill Manager" - which is the ONLY active bill payment feature from Quicken.
    As a side note - Chase bank itself also offers their own bill paying feature, which can be seen when you log into your Chase online website Account.  You can setup Quicken to use Chase for payments direct from Quicken - no outside 3rd party service provider.  I have been doing that for years.... works great -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    vgordy said:
    #1 There are no error codes on the cloud synch errors. The Severity is "important", the Repair is "ignore" or "update".
    #2 Quicken is enabled with Chase. I am downloading payments and deposits daily.
    #3 I have Quicken Premium.
    #4 The only option I see on the Chase website is the "Pay Bills & QuickPay with Zelle". Neither of which involve Quicken.
    1)  If you are having Cloud Sync errors, I suggest you go to .Edit > Profile > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out.  Then sign back in using your current Quicken ID and PW.  (FYI:  I seem to recall someone else recently having Cloud Sync errors when he had both Bill Manager and Bill Pay "Enabled".  After he disabled one of them and did the Sign in as a different user their Cloud Sync errors went away.)
    2)  Good.  So activating Quicken with Chase is not the issue.
    3)  Quicken Premium:  You can use Quicken Bill Manager for no monthly Quicken fee to pay bills but the number of bills is limited to 12 Quick Pay and 6 Check Pay payments per month.  At this time, there is no way to increase these allocations but Quicken is working on this.  If you need more than this, then perhaps the Direct Connect (DC) Bill Pay with Chase would be a better option for you.
    4)  I should have been more clear:  You will not find a "Quicken Bill Pay" in your online account.  Quicken uses Chase's "Pay Bills" feature (not the Zelle feature).  You must have "Pay Bills" set up for your Chase account in your online account in order to use DC Bill Pay.
    I personally favor the DC Bill Pay process.  As noted by @ps56k it works really well.
  • vgordy
    vgordy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    1 - Hmm. I went on Chase website and setup a bill to be paid. They had the vendor and that is all set. I assume it will download into Quicken when the bill is paid.

2 - I was hoping to run this through Quicken to setup the payment.

3 - When I examine the Account Details/Online Services/Online setup tab in Quicken, the Chase account "is set up for transaction download". "Automatic entry is: On"
    The Account Details/Online Services/Online bill payment tab shows the checking account "Enabled for "Quicken Bill Manager" and "Online Bill Pay".

4- When back on the Home screen: I click "Online". For B of A the second tab is "Payments". For Chase the second tab is "Transfers". There is no tab for "Payments".

5 - It just doesn't seem it should be so hard to get this set up.

[EDIT] - just adding some white space between the 5 different observations
  • Hello @vgordy

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you are currently experiencing this issue.

First, may I ask, is this a newer data file? If so, when was this file created?

According to the information and settings you have provided the account should be able to create/send bank bill pay payments. 

Can you please navigate to Tools > Online Payee List and tell me if you can select this option or if it is greyed out?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • vgordy
    vgordy Member ✭✭
    Thank you for following up. This is not a new file. I have been using Quicken since 1995.

The drop-down at the top of the Online Payee list only shows B of A. It does not show Chase as a Financial Institution option.
  • Boatnmaniac
    vgordy said:
    1 - Hmm. I went on Chase website and setup a bill to be paid. They had the vendor and that is all set. I assume it will download into Quicken when the bill is paid.

2 - I was hoping to run this through Quicken to setup the payment.

3 - When I examine the Account Details/Online Services/Online setup tab in Quicken, the Chase account "is set up for transaction download". "Automatic entry is: On"
    The Account Details/Online Services/Online bill payment tab shows the checking account "Enabled for "Quicken Bill Manager" and "Online Bill Pay".

4- When back on the Home screen: I click "Online". For B of A the second tab is "Payments". For Chase the second tab is "Transfers". There is no tab for "Payments".

5 - It just doesn't seem it should be so hard to get this set up.

[EDIT] - just adding some white space between the 5 different observations
    1)  Yes, the bill payment you set up in your online account should download into Quicken when the bill is paid.
    3)  As noted earlier, you should not have both Quicken Bill Manager and Online Bill Pay enabled.  Since you want to schedule directly with Chase, you should disable Quicken Bill Manager.  The user in this post thread stated that he had both QBM and Online Bill Pay enabled so he deactivated/reactivated his account and then enabled only Online Bill Pay after which he was finally able to set up bill pays directly with his bank: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20116692#Comment_20116692
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @vgordy,

Can we take a step back?  Above, in reply to the post of @QuickenTyka you vgordy said:
    The drop-down at the top of the Online Payee list only shows B of A. It does not show Chase as a Financial Institution option.
    Not to be pedantic, but when you opened the "Online Payee list" I understand that Bank of America appeared in the "Financial Institution" box, BUT did you actually click on the little arrow to the right of "Bank of America" to see if there were other Online Bill Payers? From what you have said above, I believe that if you click on the arrow, you will also find that Chase has also been setup for Bill Pay through Quicken.

If you find that Chase also appears, that confirms that you CAN use Chase for bill pay through Quicken (and not through Bill Manager) which is, in my view the better option.

Let me know what you find.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • vgordy
    vgordy Member ✭✭
    I did click the drop down and no Chase does not appear.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case, it appears that you have not actually completed all the steps that Chase requires for you to actually pay bills using Quicken through Chase.  i would suggest that you call Chase and ask for assistance with "activating" Chase bill payment using Quicken.  They have excellent technical support personnel who will be able to make sure the bank's systems connect your bank account properly with Quicken.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • vgordy
    vgordy Member ✭✭
    This is lovely. I just spent ½ hour on the phone with Chase and they said they can’t help and that it is a Quicken problem.

I will call Quicken telephone support later today and see if they can walk me through this.

Thanks for trying.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vgordy

Sorry to hear that about Chase Support, they were very helpful with my issue.  Let me know what happens going forward.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.