I need a printer to print partial sheet of wallet sized checks. Any suggestions?

Hwwalker
Hwwalker Member
HP modified OS of printer and now it won't print partial sheet of wallet sized checks.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Do you have any idea what changed on your printer? Firmware? Driver? Can you find a way to undo it? Which HP printer model is it?
    I'm terrified HP will break partial page printing on my OfficeJet 8600 so I have auto-updating turned off.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be able to 'tape' the partial page to a full size sheet.  I have used post-it tape to do that with various ink-jet printers.  Intuit sells (or used to sell) form-leader pages that do the same thing.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For printing checks I'm using an older Epson Stylus CX4800 printer. It works best for me, because it uses a straight-through paper path. One just loads a stack of check sheets into the input tray in back of the printer and the checks come out in proper order, printed lowest to highest check number.
    Caveat: This printer does not support partial pages without removing the standard stock from the input tray and reconfiguring it for 1- or 2-checks partial page printing.

Workaround:
    If you can't resolve the partial page issue, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11 sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.
    See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit or make your own as @q_lurker suggested.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11 sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs voucher checks are easiest to use.
    When considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer when making a purchase decision for a new supply of checks.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that we've gotten the usual workarounds out of our system... I too would love an answer to @Hwwalker's question.

Can anyone name a specific, current make & model of printer which handles 1 or 2 wallet checks without any workarounds? My OfficeJet does, but it's long discontinued.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.