Want to Change Category Description For _IntInc

Hi.

I want to change the long description portion of a locked category "_Intinc", and cant seem to do this.
I have done this before long ago there was some tip or trick I read about. I have done this because it is currently changed to "Investment Interest (4201)" and I just want to update it again to include the new tax form code code (4201+4218). I have done this for some of the other locked categories as well so it definitely can be done. I just cant remember how.

Please help.

Answers

• fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    click on Tools and then category list
    see attached file
  • Not understanding how this solves my problem. I know how to create new categories or how to change existing ones. Read my question Please.

How to change locked or default category "_Intinc". I have some customized locked ones currently. The edit is not by default available for locked ones.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    A guess would be that there was a way to edit the built in categories by using a trick in the Tax Planner to get access to it.  That was recently blocked in an update because it was deemed a bug and to dangerous.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your post brings to mind a recent discussion where the tax line assignment on an internal category had somehow gotten changed and could not be corrected. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880936/is-there-a-way-to-correct-the-tax-treament-of-the-divinc-category#latest

You might try some of the steps identified there.  

I suspect that recent versions of the program have eliminated editing capabilities for those internal categories.  If so, you may be SOL.    
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    A guess would be that there was a way to edit the built in categories by using a trick in the Tax Planner to get access to it.  That was recently blocked in an update because it was deemed a bug and to dangerous.
    I suppose this means a careful user could install a version of Quicken prior to the fix, apply their change to the description, and install the current version of Quicken.  Note: Previous Quicken Mondo patches are available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Thanks so much for the Info, I will investigate the suggestions. I suspect I did change those in my previous version of quicken but it was a trick. Not sure about the Tax planner bit.
    I remember having to create a new category and deleting and renaming, I Think with some hot keys. I still have my old quicken i think 2014 installed in my Virtual machine, I will also check it out.

They should at least allow us to change the non crucial parts of the categories, like the description. I have a similar issue with assigning foreign taxable Interest with that category Out tax makes distinction between local and foreign interest. Would have been nice to allow creation of a sub category under that one dividing it in local Taxable interest and foreign. Using the misc and custom category for only foreign gives a messy report that is not grouped nicely. Anyway that bit is manageable.

Thanks again I will give feedback.