Why has the download date & time disappeared from under all account Names?

Why has the download date & time disappeared from under all account Names?

Answers

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    What version are you using? (Help>About Quicken)   If you recently updated something may have happened in the update process.  Make a backup copy of your data file (File>Backup and Restore>Backup Quicken File) and then validate your data file. (File>File Operations>Validate And Repair>Validate File)

If that does not fix the issue try downloading the mondo patch for the version of Quicken that you are using.  That should fix the update issue if that was the cause.  Over the years I have had to do this once or twice to fix an update that didn't "take".
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Strange, I didn't notice this before, but now that it has been mentioned, I see this too.

But only on my main data file, not on a test data file when I just added the accounts.  Mondo patch install and validate and repair have no effect on this.

I also tried older patch versions, but it didn't make a difference.

What is really strange is that my accounts from Synchrony Savings still have this information.  About the only thing that is different about them is that I hadn't updated them for a couple of days because they update really slowly and only have interest payments, so only update them when the statement closes.

Even deactivating an account for downloading and adding a brand new account in Quicken in the old data file the information doesn't show up.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Just checked - R28.24 - all is good.... for all my DC and EWC accts -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I tried loading a old copy of my data file (went back as far as two weeks), but that made no difference.
    I also tried clean uninstall and reinstall, and no difference.

Note I'm on R29.12, but I have tried versions all the way back to R27.20.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Well it gets even stranger.  After the clean install I noticed that the accounts that did have the download information lost it.  So this information isn't stored in the data file.

I then did an update and got the information back for that account, what's more I got it back for all my Direct Connect accounts, but not for two of my Express Web Connect accounts PayPal and Macy's Credit Card.

I was able to get these to update too after I forced them to refresh.

So I think the think to do is a Clean Uninstall and reinstall from this procedure:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Note be sure you do the "second step" in the "If the steps above do not resolve the issue" second to remove the Quicken config files.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    After the clean install I noticed that the accounts that did have the download information lost it.  So this information isn't stored in the data file.
    Right. I often copy my production file to my test PC and find that the download time stamps do not come along with the file. I don't know where they live.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    After the clean install I noticed that the accounts that did have the download information lost it.  So this information isn't stored in the data file.
    Right. I often copy my production file to my test PC and find that the download time stamps do not come along with the file. I don't know where they live.
    My recollection is the last download information is pulled from the Quicken file's runtime.dat file within a folder in the hidden ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    i have read all these posts. No one knows for sure why it happened or how to fix. Some of these answers are way above my Quicken skill level. I am now going to complicate it more. I have the same Quicken installed on 2 different computers. The computer that the last download date and time disappeared from does not have the latest Quicken update installed. Also it still using windows 7. On my other computer with windows 10 and current Quicken update 29.12, the last download date and time still appears. To the best of my knowledge everything else related to quicken files and what not is the same. The last account that still showed date and time disappeared this morning when I updated that account. I update all accounts daily so no big deal. There are other Quicken issues that concern me more.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim said:
    i have read all these posts. No one knows for sure why it happened or how to fix. Some of these answers are way above my Quicken skill level. I am now going to complicate it more. I have the same Quicken installed on 2 different computers. The computer that the last download date and time disappeared from does not have the latest Quicken update installed. Also it still using windows 7. On my other computer with windows 10 and current Quicken update 29.12, the last download date and time still appears. To the best of my knowledge everything else related to quicken files and what not is the same. The last account that still showed date and time disappeared this morning when I updated that account. I update all accounts daily so no big deal. There are other Quicken issues that concern me more.
    As explained, the last download date and time is not maintained in the Quicken file.  Quicken pulls the information from another file on your computer.  If this other file does not provided Quicken with the last download date and time for an account the last download date and time for the account is not displayed.  The presence or lack of the presence of this information has no impact on integrity of the data contained within the Quicken file.

I suggest that you exit Quicken and rename (or delete) the Quicken file's runtime.dat file within the hidden ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  The next time you download and import the transactions from the financial institutions, the last download dates and times should appear.
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    Sherlock,
    You make it sound so easy. I found a file folder called INET in the Quicken files. It was empty, the same with the config file folder. Now what?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Looking on my machine runtime.dat is actually in both of these folders:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Current
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Online

I will assume that deleting the above will fix this problem, but I didn't do it that way because I didn't know these files were the problem, besides even though it might fix this problem, for problems that are in the install/configuration is sometimes best just to learn how to clear them all out to get a good start.

What I did is basically the QCleanUI procedure that I posted a link to above.

Slightly modified because that old article talks about renaming when you can just delete, and also tends to miss some of the folders to delete. Note also that the Quicken subscription version does what QCleanUI does when it uninstalls and that is why they suggest that might be all that is needed. But in truth the problems are almost never in the Windows registry, which what QCleanUI deals with, instead it is in the install/configuration files.

I uninstall Quicken.
    Then I delete the following folders (if they are there).
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Quicken
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quicken
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken
    C:\Program Data\Intuit\Quicken

The list is actually shorter than above, the exact list is dependent on what version of Quicken has been installed on the machine.  Once you do it once for your version you pretty much know what to look for if you ever have to do it again.

Personally I wish Quicken Inc would modify their uninstall to ask if you want to blow these away during the uninstall.  Normally one doesn't remove such files because the user might want to reinstall and some of these have the user's settings in them.

EDIT

You of course reinstall after doing the above procedure.

Also check your settings, because some of them are in the config files that you just removed so they will go back to the defaults.

Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim said:
    Sherlock,
    You make it sound so easy. I found a file folder called INET in the Quicken files. It was empty, the same with the config file folder. Now what?
    It is as easy as it sounds if the issue is limited to a corrupted runtime.dat file.  If the Quicken file's folder in the hidden ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder is empty, the issue you're experiencing may be more complicated.  

I suggest you perform a manual clean uninstall, install and update: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I suspect recently they have stopped using runtime.dat in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet.  Or more accurately moved it.  Doing a search in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet for runtime.dat gives this.

It looks like the one in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Current is the "active one"....

I just realized something.  My data files are named Current and Offline.
    So they are keeping a runtime.dat file for each data file, and as such are keeping them in separate folders based on the data file name.

Edit.
    Opps I read the second one as "Offline" when it is actually Online, so there isn't one runtime.dat for each data file.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I suspect recently they have stopped using runtime.dat in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet.  Or more accurately moved it.  Doing a search in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet for runtime.dat gives this.

It looks like the one in ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Current is the "active one"....

I just realized something.  My data files are named Current and Offline.
    So they are keeping a runtime.dat file for each data file, and as such are keeping them in separate folders based on the data file name.

Edit.
    Opps I read the second one as "Offline" when it is actually Online, so there isn't one runtime.dat for each data file.
    When we import the transactions downloaded from a financial institution, the runtime.dat file for a specific Quicken file should update.  If the runtime.dat file does not exist, Quicken should create it.  Note: The file is readable as text.
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    Sherlock,
    If I uninstall Quicken using qclean ui, doesn't it also remove all backup files, since it is all in the same quicken folder (program) ? I read instructions for qcleanui, and it states find a data file to reinstall data. How is this possible if everything is erased?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Jim said:
    Sherlock,
    If I uninstall Quicken using qclean ui, doesn't it also remove all backup files, since it is all in the same quicken folder (program) ? I read instructions for qcleanui, and it states find a data file to reinstall data. How is this possible if everything is erased?
    The Quicken file and the backup files should not be in the same folders that will be removed.  By default, the Quicken file is in the user's Document\Quicken folder and the automatic backup folder is in the user's Document\Quicken\BACKUP folder.   

We may confirm the location of a Quicken file by selecting File > Show this file on my computer.  We may confirm the location of the automatic backup files of the Quicken file by selecting File > Backup and Restore > Restore from Backup File... and Open Backup Directory.  We may determine the location of all of the Quicken files and Quicken backup files on a drive by selecting File > Find Quicken Files...

Again, none of the Quicken Files or Quicken backup files should be within the \Program Files folder, \Program Files(x86) folder, the hidden \ProgramData folder, or the user's hidden AppData folder.