All debt showing as paid off after recent update R29.12

Info: I have Quicken for Windows (Year: 2020, Version: R29.12, Build: 27.1.29.12)

Since the latest update, all my debt under the "Property & Debt" tab has a balance of 0.00 and says "This loan is paid off". Obviously, my student debt and car loan did not disappear the moment Quicken updated their software.

I've restarted of course, and I've deleted and readded the accounts. When I readd the accounts, the correct balance shows up for ~1 second before defaulting back to 0.00.

Any idea what's wrong, or how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• While I wish this was true, after today's update (9/23/20) if I do a One Step Update my Wells Fargo auto loan account shows paid off and it deletes my attached auto payment transaction reminder. If I go to the Online Center and kick off an update of just the Wells Fargo account the proper balance shows up and even the extra principal payment I make is still in there. Once I do another One Step or I exit and sync, the account goes back to showing as paid off and the reminders are gone again.

I've had the car loan working for almost 2 years in Quicken and I re-ran the Wells Fargo authorization routine on the website and got the email that the connection was authorized.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello @Patrick Bimonte

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already, I would start by restoring a backup from before installing the update.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Please let me know if the trouble persists in the restored backup file. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • A full file restore will be the last resort ...

I validated, super validated, deleted the account and re-added it and now the failure mode is that I see the proper balance in the account list to begin, but it says "This loan is paid off" in the right hand pane when I select it until I do a One Step at which point it goes back to 0 in the account list and the "This loan is paid off" message goes away.

Online Center update still returns the proper information (well, sort of now, I don't have all of the graphs and ability to set the bills and reminders like before), One Step resets it to zero.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Patrick Bimonte

Thank you for the response and the additional information.

May I ask if you use the mobile app at all? To confirm, can you navigate to the Mobile and Web Tab within the Quicken application?

There, do you have an option to "Get Started" or an option to sync? If you see an option to sync, please select the gear icon on the section labeled accounts to sync and see if this account is selected to sync to mobile.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I do sync to mobile and yes, it is an account set to sync
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Patrick Bimonte

Thank you for the confirming, if you remove this account from syncing to mobile as a test, do you still see this behavior?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Removing the account from syncing to mobile seems to eliminate the behavior. The balance and payments now persist through a OSU.
  • dmzumwalt
    dmzumwalt Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I was seeing the same behavior (loans suddenly showing as "paid off") across multiple accounts. I can confirm that killing/disabling Mobile Sync (emphasis on "killing") resolved the behavior temporarily, but within a few minutes, the accounts went from showing correct active balances to showing "paid off" again. Resetting the accounts doesn't work - the Reset button just briefly flashes. Disabling online services, and then re-adding the account works temporarily. Deleting the account and then re-adding the account works temporarily. Restoring from a prior backup and then re-doing all of the above produces the same results. The accounts in question are 3 sets of multiple education loans (student and parent) that are currently in the deferral period so no payment is due today, but they have balances. Is Quicken mistaking a "no payment due" for "paid off?"
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • I am having the same issue. I tried restoring to a backup file with no change. Same year, version and build. Any help would be appreciated...
  • cweigert
    cweigert Member
    All of my student loan accounts and my mortgage with Quicken Loans are all showing up as paid off. I tried removing the accounts and re-adding them. The balance shows up and then when it synchs with the cloud they change to Paid Off with a 0 balance. If only that were true.
  • chadwpalm75
    chadwpalm75 Member ✭✭
    I've spent some time troubleshooting the issue and have an answer, though it may or may not be the answer you want.

It is definitely a cloud-sync issue. You can turn off cloud-sync to your accounts, but that only fixes it showing your balances again, it does not fix the fact your accounts are "paid off". Also, if you delete and re-add the accounts after removing them from mobile & web sync, it forcibly adds your account to mobile sync and syncs your account to the cloud on creation. No good.

Currently, the only true fix is to completely turn off mobile & web sync. This can be done if you go to Preferences in the Edit pull-down, go to the Mobile & Web menu, and completely turn off Sync. Then you unfortunately still have to delete and re-add your loan accounts, but this will bring your accounts back to the intended status. The drawback is you lose mobile sync.

This needs to be passed to support so they can patch Quicken in a future update.
  • chadwpalm75
    chadwpalm75 Member ✭✭
    Looks like a patch was released as I was typing out my previous reply. I'll backup my file and give it a try and let everyone know if it worked or not.
  • chadwpalm75
    chadwpalm75 Member ✭✭
    The patch fixed it. Good to go!
  • rjetten
    rjetten Member
    I have tried the patch, and still am having the same error. Now what do I do?
  • neko
    neko Member
    I am patched up to date and am having this same error. What is the next steps?
  • Quickest
    Quickest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [removed]
    I've been a Quicken user for 20 years [removed - rant] 

I can't remember how many times my calendar reminders simply vanish into thin air! Now today, not only did my commercial vehicle loan bill reminder vanish, low and behold you've wrongly showed I paid off practically 20K on that loan on 9/28/20, but have locked me out of trying to find that mysterious 20K payment or reset this loan. Now, you've forced me to download a huge .EXE file from who knows where and install it in order to try and simply make my car payment

[removed - rant]
  • Quickest
    Quickest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    [removed - rant/disruptive]
  • sprice73
    sprice73 Member
    I have version 29.20 and I still have this error.
  • sherlands
    sherlands Member
    is there a patch for Mac version?
    I have this error too
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @sherlands

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, please navigate to Quicken > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

To confirm, are you experiencing this issue with a loan account? Is the account connected for automatic download? To find out, you can select the gear and look for the connection type.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • sprice73
    sprice73 Member
    I am still having this problem after downloading the update for R29.22 for Windows 10. The R29.16 update said it fixed this problem, but it has not for me.
  • jwhyche
    jwhyche Member ✭✭
    Mine are doing this too. I have a reminder on my calendar for every Friday. Next weeks is not there but it is present on other Fridays. I'm getting tired of setting a reminder only to find it gone. What the point of them if they are not there to remind you.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jwhyche

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response. 

This is listed as being fixed in a recent update. Can you please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • sprice73
    sprice73 Member
    I could never get any response here, but I was able to fix it (at least for now). I just restored the last backup made before the balances changed to "paid off." Then I did a one step update. So far the loans are still showing correctly.
This discussion has been closed.