Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

"Subordinate Micro Deposit" QCS changes transactions during download?

Studpup
Studpup Windows Beta Beta
Win10, Q27.1.29.16, create new quicken file[Removed-Steps] add my ewc bank account and everything's fine. Create a new file, manually download the qfx file, everything's fine. Create another new quicken file, keep it as QCS, add my bank account, and all transactions under $1 during download are changed to "Subordinate Micro Deposit" with zero value. One for each small transaction. Then, each day there's a "Combined Micro Deposits" entry added which contains the sum of all the mangled transactions, but changed to a deposit, even if the transactions it replaced were payments from the account. Thoughts/ideas welcomed. Obviously I'll just stay with FDS, but is there a plan to phase it out? Documenting this in case anyone encounters it in the future! 
I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I think I experienced this when I activated a transfer mechanism between my CU and another bank.  The CU is setup for Web Connect downloads.
    The bank was sending two micro deposits (<$1) that I needed to report back to the bank.  When the first set that was sent, only one showed up and it was for $.97.  I kept waiting for the second and it never showed up and it was eventually pulled back.
    I then called the bank and they sent them again, but this time a deposit for $1.27 showed up.  Well, that wasn't <$1, so I called my CU.  Oh, that wasn't a single deposit, it was actually two deposits ($.40 & $.87), but because they were on the same day, they decided by their policy to combine them in the Web Connect downloads, BUT they assured me that they would be separate on my monthly statement.
    Fat lot of good that was, if you get two transactions, they should show transactions.
    So, in my case, combining of micro deposits was completely my CU's issue and had nothing to do with Quicken's actions.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Studpup
    If you logged in to your credit unions website, did it show two transactions? It's web connect, so you had to click download for a qfx file? Or Express Web Connect and it's using QCS and that's what's changing the transactions?

Unfortunately these aren't actual trial deposits, they're small debit card transactions like SHELL GAS for $0.87 and AMAZON RELOAD for $0.51. I get two Subordinate Micro Deposit for $0 each, and a third Combined Micro Deposits for $1.38 as a deposit, even though my debit card transactions were payments. My browser, fds, and qfx download all show correctly. Weird.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Web Connect and they showed up as a single transaction on the CU's website.  It was only on the monthly statement that they showed up as two transactions.
    In my case, it has nothing to do with FDS vs QCS or Quicken, just my CU being incredibly stupid.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @splasher, See if you can determine that your CU is using the software from "Jack Henry & Associates".
    It's been my experience that a LOT of CUs and smaller banks use their products.
    IF they are using the JHA software, this could be a bigger issue than your CU and that of the OP.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @splasher, See if you can determine that your CU is using the software from "Jack Henry & Associates".
    It's been my experience that a LOT of CUs and smaller banks use their products.
    IF they are using the JHA software, this could be a bigger issue than your CU and that of the OP.
    I am getting ready to leave my CU.  They dropped Direct Connect almost 2 years ago and they are still telling me that their providers are working on getting it re-established (it was their first DC implementation) which is a bunch of BS.  
    If it is not about transactions in my account or a balance, they don't talk with me.
    The only other local FI presence with DC is PNC and I will be talking to them soon.
    I used to brag about my CU in the past, but they are useless to me now.
  • Studpup
    How can I tell? They don't have anything on the bottom of the page, it doesn't redirect the URL and the certificate points to the bank. Nothing in the qfx file or connection log to help figure it out. I did google:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/camden-national-bank-outsources-its-core-and-expands-jack-henry-relationship-to-support-demands-for-growth-innovation-300763075.html

Also, regardless of the method, for two years now the download contains a balance that's not the ledger balance you'd need to reconcile, they send what I'd call an "available balance" that includes unposted credits and deducts preauthorizations on the debit card. A bit frustrating!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    "How can I tell? ""
    Call support at the CU and ASK what software they're using!  Push them until you get an actual answer ... not a deflection or a made-up answer.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • psode
    psode Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the Jack Henry tip. I am also having annoyances from Subordinate Micro Deposit and Combined Micro Deposits, and I had suspected it started with a Quicken update but now you are making me wonder if it started with a system upgrade on the bank's side.

I am using Express Web Connect. Is there a way to view the .qfx for EWC so I can peek at the XML and satisfy myself that it's happening on the bank's side? My bank statement shows the actual transactions but the register in Quicken shows them blended into a combined transaction. In the grand scheme, it's just a minor annoyance, but month after month after month....
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    psode said:
    Thanks for the Jack Henry tip. I am also having annoyances from Subordinate Micro Deposit and Combined Micro Deposits, and I had suspected it started with a Quicken update but now you are making me wonder if it started with a system upgrade on the bank's side.

I am using Express Web Connect. Is there a way to view the .qfx for EWC so I can peek at the XML and satisfy myself that it's happening on the bank's side? My bank statement shows the actual transactions but the register in Quicken shows them blended into a combined transaction. In the grand scheme, it's just a minor annoyance, but month after month after month....
    Not all financial institutions that use Express Web Connect produce .QFX files, you will have to look on their site to see if it is one of their download options.

To see what Quicken is getting for Express Web Connect transactions using QCS (which they are switching people to) look in:
    Help -> Log Files -> Cloud Sync Log
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Studpup
    Further testing shows this wasn't QCS related, it also happens with FDS.. and it's not related to EWS, I have one bank with direct connect and I'm getting "Micro Deposit Description Removed", and it started beginning of this year. :-(