Home Before you Buy

Can I use 2014 version data in later version of Quicken. Is Quicken backwards compatibile?

wmcgaughwmcgaugh Member
edited October 3 in Before you Buy
Can I use 2014 version data in later version of Quicken. Is Quicken backwards compatibile?

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can use Quicken 2014 Data Files in Quicken Subscription program, where the Subscription program will convert the Data File to work with Quicken Subscription Program.

The Subscription Data is backward compatible with Quicken 2016 and Quicken 2017, only, meaning that the Subscription Data File can be read only by Quicken 2016 and Quicken 2017. They are interchangeable.

But Quicken 2014 program can't read the Data File from Quicken Subscription program.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• wmcgaughwmcgaugh Member
    What is a subscription program?
    What keystrokes does 2014 user need to do in order to download the data I want to use in the 2020 version?
    wmcgaugh said:
    What is a subscription program?

New Quicken program. See: https://www.quicken.com/compare

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

wmcgaugh said:
    What keystrokes does 2014 user need to do in order to download the data I want to use in the 2020 version?

I can't kelp you with that information as I use the Mouse to Navigate around the program.

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja gave you the answer. Did you read the page she pointed you to?
    1. Install Quicken Subscription (2020) product.
    2. Open your existing QW2014 data file in the new version.
    That's all.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    Quicken 2020 subscription is not reading the QDF cd file from 2014 version of Quicken. What am I doing wrong?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "the QDF cd file"? Was Quicken 2014 installed on the computer you're currently using? If so, are you trying to open your Quicken data file from Quicken Subscription?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Where is the .qdf or .qdf-backup file?  Is it on the same computer?  First copy the .qdf file from your flash drive or CD to your computer hard drive.  Then start the program and go up to File-Open and if it doesn't find your .qdf file you can browse to where you put it.
    QDF is on my computer in CD drive, but Quicken won't read it. How do I copy CD to hard drive?
    Its actually a QXF data file on the CD from a 2014 Quicken version. Maybe I was provided wrong file type?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    A QXF file is a Quicken Transfer Format File. A QDF file is a Quicken Data File. You can't open a QDF from a read only device such as a CD. Where did the QXF file come from?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You need the actual Quicken Data File ending in .qdf or .qdf-backup.  Did you get the 2014 file from someone else?  Or were you using 2014?  The CD is usually just the Quicken Program not the data.  Are you taking it over from someone else?  See what other files they gave you on the CD.  
This discussion has been closed.