Issues posting manual transactions from Bills&Income to account register

Has anyone had issues posting manual transactions to an account register? I use Bank of America bill pay, not Quicken's new Quick Pay, so think I want all my reminders and transactions to be "manual bills". I'm having a problem that, when selecting an existing reminder for actual payment, selecting Send Online Payment under Method/Check, and then clicking Enter Transaction it just clears the open Enter Expense Transaction window rather than posting to the appropriate account register. Worse yet, this doesn't seem to be consistent. I did try following the steps to convert to Bill Manager but, in reality, I don't want to use it due the the transaction limits. Can anyone advise if I'm just having a local problem or if there's a wider issue here? Is it Quicken's intent to continue supporting use of BoA's bill pay facility in lieu of using Quick Pay and Check Pay?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @richard_gladston

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with bill payments.

To answer your two questions - I haven't seen any reports of others having the same type of issues trying to make payments through Quicken while using a bank's bill payment service.  And I would highly doubt that Quicken's intentions are to prevent users from using their bank's bill payment service for any reason, as this feature has been in place for over twenty years and many users utilize it regularly.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the particular issue you are seeing I just tried to enter an online payment from a bill reminder using the same window (the Enter Expense Transaction window) and it worked flawlessly.  Which versions of Quicken and Windows are you on?  Have you tried making a payment through BOA using another method - e.g. through a check register - and if so, does that go through?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @richard_gladston - I recall seeing another person post something similar to the issue you are seeing not too long ago.  He had both Quicken Bill Manger and Online Bill Pay enabled.  Once he deactivated Quicken Bill Manager his Online Bill Pay issue was resolved. 
    Since you said you had worked to set up QBM, is it possible that it is still enabled?  If so, you might want to try deactivating it and see if that resolves your issue, too.

(QW Premier Subscription: R36.23 on Windows 10)
  • To Frankx: This is the latest version of Quicken (27.1.29.16) and an up-to-date version of Windows 10. There really has been no issue creating a payment directly in the account register and posting it to BoA, so payment isn't an issue. It's creating the register entry using the Enter Expense Transaction window that very recently started causing me problems. I regularly back up my data files, and assume the issue isn't there, so I just deleted Quicken and reinstalled it. Not sure if that will fix the problem, but thanks for the input. The only reason I asked about Quicken not supporting this was a response I got on the Chat Support Line. They seemed to think it had to do with moving online payees to Bill Manager. I'm at a bit of a loss if Quicken is now maintaining multiple online payee lists, one used by my Financial institution and one used by Bill Manager. Frankly, I'm also not sure what changes they made to the Bill&Income tab to implement Bill Manager and Quick Pay. Anyway, I ramble on. Guess I'll see if reinstalling Quicken fixes the problem.

To Boatnmaniac: Thanks for the reply. For better or worse, I did restore my back-up copy which did not have Bill Manager enabled. I have 2 accounts the use Direct Connect. Looking at the one I use for paying bills thru BoA, Bill Manager in not enabled but Online Bill Pay is enabled, similar to your screen capture. On the other account I could but don't use, neither Quicken Bill Manager or "Online Bill" is enabled. Is there someplace else I need to disable Bill Manager? I must admit the I have no idea what will happen with whatever server-side account setup I initiated and the associated micro-transactions now that I reverted to an older data file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    To Boatnmaniac: Thanks for the reply. For better or worse, I did restore my back-up copy which did not have Bill Manager enabled. I have 2 accounts the use Direct Connect. Looking at the one I use for paying bills thru BoA, Bill Manager in not enabled but Online Bill Pay is enabled, similar to your screen capture. On the other account I could but don't use, neither Quicken Bill Manager or "Online Bill" is enabled. Is there someplace else I need to disable Bill Manager? I must admit the I have no idea what will happen with whatever server-side account setup I initiated and the associated micro-transactions now that I reverted to an older data file.
    Sorry, @richard_gladston , but I don't use QBM so my knowledge of it is pretty rudimentary.  It is my understanding that having QBM disabled for an account in Account Details is sufficient for ensuring Quicken doesn't get "confused" between QBM and OBP when trying to set up a bill payment but maybe someone will correct me if I misspoke.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R36.23 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.