Home Before you Buy

upgrading from 2016 to newest and data files

teeveeteevee Member ✭✭
I currently have Quicken 2016 Home and Business Canada and thinking of upgrading to newest version (within 3 days for sale price).
I currently run 3 data files under this and want to make sure I can still have the 3 data files if I pay for only 1 yearly subscription.
Thanks is advance
Tee Vee

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    You can have as many data files as you want and your disk drive can hold.
    They will all have to use the same Quicken Id to register them.  That generally is only a problem if you also use QMobile/Q-Web and the users of the three files don't want the others to be able to see their information.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mark SteinmanMark Steinman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 separate data files on the same computer with only 1 subscription.  I use the same password for all 3 data files - has never been an issue
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 separate data files on the same computer with only 1 subscription.  I use the same password for all 3 data files - has never been an issue
    True, I don't disagree.  I've got my "production" data file and lots of test files which all co-exist, but they all have the same Quicken Id and they are all mine.
    But, if you were keeping track of your kid's and your parent's finances along with your own in those three files and you wanted them to be able to see their info using QMobile, they would be able to see each other's info which probably is not a desirable situation since they would all be using the same Quicken Id.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• teeveeteevee Member ✭✭
    I used to use the Reconcile feature in my old version Quicken Home and Business 2016 for Canada until it was no longer supported. Then I manually balanced but found it very cumbersome. I recently upgraded and bought Quicken Home and Business Rental Property, but have had nothing but problems trying to download transactions and then reconcile. I used to log onto my bank, press Reconcile and it would bring over the info from the bank. Now I can't download transactions because it keeps telling me the Bank is set up for US $ when it isn't and then I can't get the bank balance.
    It is true that there is a major bug with the Canadian $ in bank account. I would think if you sell a Canadian version, the currency amounts should be in Canadian $.
    Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks
    Tee Vee
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @teevee your problems seem to be different and related to the Canadian version.  I suggest that you create your own question on it in the Canadian section:
    Go to this page and select New Question:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussions
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • teeveeteevee Member ✭✭
    I ended up contacted support, and it seems I bought the US version. I complained to them, as they sent me the promotional Email, so why did they send a US promotional email to a Canadian Customer. They have me as having the Canadian version on file, so you would think they could sort that out. Had to purchase the Cdn version instead and all works fine now.
  • teeveeteevee Member ✭✭
    This is not a question but a warning. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. I was using Quicken Home & Business 2016 and hadn't upgraded to subscription version yet.
    I recently received a promotional email offering 40% off of pricing to upgrade. So I looked selected the link and looked over the product offering carefully.
    The upgrade compared to mine showed Quicken Home & Business and Rental property.
    I purchased the product and it installed smoothly, but when I went to download transactions, it kept giving me errors about US currency and US bank accounts only.
    I couldn't find any direct help under support help or community support. So I started a chat in support.
    Turns out, I bought the US version. NO WHERE on this promtional email or the link to the product update did it say it was for US only.
    Why did they send me the email to begin with, since I am a Canadian customer. There should be a way to stop emails that only apply to US versions.
    They did refund my money and I downloaded the Canadian version but there was no promotion in Canada. Every does work now, but, Quicken, you need to better target your customers for correct products!!

Just venting here,
    Thanks
    tee vee :/
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @teevee frankly Quicken's promotion email system doesn't seem to know anything about customers except their email address.  It has long been reported that people that have the latest version being sent emails to upgrade and things like that.  With the subscription that has change somewhat because at this point they aren't really selling that much to the people that still haven't converted, but it has never been like you would want.

And I also think they treated the Canadian user's poorly in the area of promotions.  I don't think I have ever heard of them giving a discount, and then on top of that I don't believe that you can buy it in a retail store.  One of the main ways the US customers get a discount is by buying it at a retailer, which almost always better than the price at Quicken.com.

Note here is the Quicken Canadian site for reference.
    https://www.quicken.com/canada
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)