Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

I'm running 10.11.6 El Capitan on my Mac Pro and would like to keep using this computer. The latest

I'm running 10.11.6 El Capitan on my Mac Pro and would like to keep using this computer. The latest Quicken update says that they won't be supporting 10.11 after update. What options will I have at point. 1.Will actually a non usable version if accidentally say update? 2.Will able continue use with the bill pay feature through bank don't Thanks for any light anyone could shed tis message from Quicken. Not really practical me buy an entirely new computer just run newest version. current one works fine right now..

Best Answer

Answers

• ajcjazz1
    ajcjazz1 Member
    Adding to my question. Can't upgrade this 2011 Mac Pro beyond El Capitain which is the reason for my question. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What the Quicken product manager has said is that you won't be able to receive updates beyond verison 5.18.x -- Quicken will block you from upgrading. You can continue running the last 5.18.x release for awhile, but at some point some of ht eonline servies will likely fail due to updates is server/back end processes. Since bill pay is new and continuing to evolve, I'd guess that you'll run into a problem with bill pay in 5.18.x at some point, but I don't think anyone is able to say definitively now what will break or when.

As time passes using an operating system no longer supported by Apple, you'll have more issues accumulate. You're already not receiving security patches for the operating system. I find that web browsing starts getting problematic on some sites with old operating systems. Most other software is no longer upgradeable on an OS as old as El Capitan.

If this is a 2010 Mac Pro, is the only thing preventing your upgrade your video card? You might consider replacing the video card for a few hundred dollars and upgrading your macOS to Mojave. That could buy you a few years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rich August
    Rich August Member ✭✭
    Just adding to this thread... I have a 2010 Mac Pro tower with a stock video card. This configuration can actually be upgraded as far as High Sierra (10.13), which, if your configuration matches, might buy you more time. However, regarding Jacob's comment, compatible video card upgrades are hard to find now and expensive, and would only buy you an additional year. Even Mac Pros with Metal-capable video cards cannot be upgraded to Catalina or beyond. Of course, all this applies only if you have a Mac Pro tower. If you actually have a MacBook Pro, your options are more limited.