Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken keeps downloading future transactions for bill pay series I've deleted

I deleted several online bill-pay recurring series, but Quicken keeps downloading future payments for them. The Delete key in the Downloaded Transactions pane does nothing. If I accept and then cancel the future transactions, Quicken just downloads the next ones in the series. I've gone through this cycle four times now with no way out that I can find. Does anyone have any ideas?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @tquickenhinds,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Do you know if the account this is happening in is set up to download transactions using the Direct Connect connection method? Also, which financial institution is it connected to?

Please, check back and let us know, thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • tqhinds
    tqhinds Member
    Anja,

The Year is 2020, version is R29.12. and Build is 27.1.29.12 on Windows 10. I'm on the Quicken subscription, so it updates itself as it sees fit.

The connection method for the account in question is Direct Connect.

I've resisted disabling it and re-enabling it because I have a lot of scheduled payments remaining on it, even though I deleted several scheduled repeating payments on it. I'm hoping someone has a better idea than that, but if I get desperate, I'll deactivate its online setup, re-activate, and manually enter all those repeating payment series again.

Do you have any hope for me otherwise?

Thanks,
    Timothy
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    Thank you for the additional information and I apologize for the delay in my response.

Just to clarify-- Are you seeing these recurring transactions as scheduled reminders in the Bills & Income tab as well or just in the Online Center and/or your account register?

Since you mentioned it is set up for Direct Connect-- if they don't show in your Bills & Income tab, it may be possible that these transactions are scheduled payments at your financial institution's website rather than in Quicken. Which would cause them to continue downloading even after deleting them from Quicken.

Could you check on your financial institution's website as well to see if they may still be scheduled to recur on their end?

Thank you!
    -Quicken Anja
  • tqhinds
    tqhinds Member
    Anja,

What makes it mystifying is that the transactions are NOT scheduled at the bank and they are NOT scheduled in Quicken. They are not on the bank's bill payment website. Now that I've deleted them as recurring bill payments in Quicken, they shouldn't be coming from Quicken, but they are. Every time I accept them, then cancel them, then update (sync) the account, the next in each series (which I've deleted) pops up in the Downloaded Transactions pane below my account's window as if the recurring bill were still present in Bill and Income Reminders, which it is NOT. At that point, they do also appear in the Online Center's Transactions tab.

An intriguing side note: I did a Super Validate, whose log includes the following:

QEL:
    Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.

Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.

The fact that it detected two instances of an "erroneous repeating model" coincides with the two spurious repeating transactions. However, whatever it did to "correct" them didn't change the behavior, since they are still spuriously a and persistently coming back.

Does this ring any bells for you (or anybody else)?

I appreciate your help in trying to figure it out!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @tqhinds

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to investigate this issue further to provide a solution.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • tqhinds
    tqhinds Member
    I finally got this resolved. A key lesson learned is that it is a bad idea to have one payee having different repeating payments based in two places -- Quicken and the bank's website. I had a couple such pairs, in which Quicken had a repeating online payment with a payee name and the bank also had a repeating bill payment with the say payee name. When I tried to delete the Quicken repeating payments and even disable sync with the bank, Quicken was unable to complete the action, saying that the bank couldn't find the repeating payments to be deleted. It probably couldn't find them because each was using the same name as an existing repeating bill payment on the bank's website but a different dollar amount, so the match failed at the bank and it told Quicken it couldn't find the repeating entry n each case.

I accepted all pending downloads from the bank into Quicken for the account, went to the bank's site and deleted the repeating bill payments for the payers involved, closed & reopened Quicken, accepted all the newly downloaded transactions that Quicken saw or made up for those payees (when you delete one instance of a repeating payment, Quicken often "helpfully" creates the next one in the series; in this case I'd deleted the series previously but Quicken was confused and kept trying to resurrect it), deleted them in Quicken (which had been unsuccessful on sync before because of the use of the same payee name as a repeating bill payment on the bank's site but now worked because I'd deleted those repeating bill payments on the banks' site), deactivated the account in Quicken from syncing with the bank via Direct Connect, closed & reopened Quicken, enabled the account to sync with the bank via Direct Connect, sync'd, and celebrated.

All that was on about the fifth try, having learned what sequence didn't work in the first four over several frustrating days.

Bottom line: either sync payments to a payer in Quicken or just download reminders from the bank, but don't pay the payee in a repeating payment from Quicken and also have a repeating payment for the same payee on the bank's site.

I had done so because the bank only allows one repeating payment for a payee, whereas Quicken allowed me to have a second one with a different amount & schedule. I'll now have to decide whether to move both to Quicken or combine them on the bank's site. I'm glad not to get the spurious reincarnations of deleted repeating payment series anymore, however.
  • tqhinds
    tqhinds Member
    I appreciate the responses and attempted assistance that Anja & Tyka provided, which kept my spirits up while I tried different sequences and combinations of actions. Thanks for contributing to the sanity & productivity of the folks in the community!
  • tqhinds
    tqhinds Member
    Well, I spoke too soon. The spurious repeating payments showed up in a subsequent update with the bank. *Sigh*
This discussion has been closed.