Synchrony (synchrony.com) and Synchrony Bank (sychronybank.com or syncbank.com) not the same.

All these retail cards - Amazon, Sam's, Lowes, JcPenney, etc. need to have Synchony - not Synchrony bank. You can go to each of these - Synchrony.com and Synchronybank.com and you will find that only Synchrony.com will take you to the syf.com you are needing. How do you change it to Synchrony not Synchrony Bank when you are trying to make the connections for your accounts to the right bank. I haven't found a way to override the SynchronyBank to make it just Synchrony. Has anyone??

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There is no one single link for all Synchrony credit cards, just like there is no one link for all Citi and American Express credit cards.  The links in Quicken are defined by the financial institution and are determined by the contracts the retail companies have with the financial institution.  Quicken must use the links they have established for Quicken to use.
    For your retail-branded Synchrony cards, when attempting to set them up in Quicken for downloads, I suggest you first type in the name of the retailer to see if they have unique links.  Each of the cards you listed do have their own unique links.  If you have other Synchrony cards that don't have unique links, then you should try using the Synchrony Bank Credit Cards link.
    FYI, there is no way for us to override the financial institution links in Quicken.  If we suspect there is a problem with a financial institution link in Quicken, we need to contact Quicken Support so they can investigate and correct it as needed.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hi @LIzbeth,

Yes, Synchrony has a large number of credit cards for retailers that it issues and supports and you are correct that it can be difficult to set them up in Quicken.  A lot of users will incorrectly select the bank, not realizing that most of these cards for other retailers are on Synchrony.com, or syf.com, and not on the bank's website (SynchronyBank.com).  And even if they correctly begin the "add account" process by searching on "synch" they may find that the URL doesn't even contain "synchrony" (or any of its many derivations such as "synchbank.com" & "synchronycredit.com") but rather are using a web address of the retailer (e.g. - https://jcpenney.syf.com/login/)

My suggestion is that users be especially careful when adding a new credit card involving Synchrony when they setup the account for downloading.  They should always login to the card's website first and make note of the exact website address before going through the setup process.  They should also initially search on the retailer's name and then "hover over" the name on the list in the "Add Credit Card Account" screen (see snip below) to make sure that the address is correct before they "select" the provider.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • :( I understand what you have said above and I have tried to correct the assigned financial institution by Deactivating the online services, etc. BUT, it does NOT clear the assigned Financial Institution! I have SEVERAL YEARS worth of data in Quicken for that account. HOW DO I GET IT CORRECTLY POINTING TO THE CORRECT FINANCIAL INSTITUTION?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    :( I understand what you have said above and I have tried to correct the assigned financial institution by Deactivating the online services, etc. BUT, it does NOT clear the assigned Financial Institution! I have SEVERAL YEARS worth of data in Quicken for that account. HOW DO I GET IT CORRECTLY POINTING TO THE CORRECT FINANCIAL INSTITUTION?
    When you deactivated your accounts did you remove all the financial institution from the upper right quadrant of the General tab of Account Details before you tried to set up the online services, again? 
    Also, do you have individual online accounts for each of these credit cards or are you trying to set them up using login information for your Synchrony.com online account?  I know for my JCP Synchrony card, I needed to set up an online account with JCP, not with Synchrony before I could set up online services/downloads for my JCP credit card.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)