Synchrony (synchrony.com) and Synchrony Bank (sychronybank.com or syncbank.com) not the same.

All these retail cards - Amazon, Sam's, Lowes, JcPenney, etc. need to have Synchony - not Synchrony bank. You can go to each of these - Synchrony.com and Synchronybank.com and you will find that only Synchrony.com will take you to the syf.com you are needing. How do you change it to Synchrony not Synchrony Bank when you are trying to make the connections for your accounts to the right bank. I haven't found a way to override the SynchronyBank to make it just Synchrony. Has anyone??

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no one single link for all Synchrony credit cards, just like there is no one link for all Citi and American Express credit cards.  The links in Quicken are defined by the financial institution and are determined by the contracts the retail companies have with the financial institution.  Quicken must use the links they have established for Quicken to use.
    For your retail-branded Synchrony cards, when attempting to set them up in Quicken for downloads, I suggest you first type in the name of the retailer to see if they have unique links.  Each of the cards you listed do have their own unique links.  If you have other Synchrony cards that don't have unique links, then you should try using the Synchrony Bank Credit Cards link.
    FYI, there is no way for us to override the financial institution links in Quicken.  If we suspect there is a problem with a financial institution link in Quicken, we need to contact Quicken Support so they can investigate and correct it as needed.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R39.23 on Windows 10)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hi @LIzbeth,

Yes, Synchrony has a large number of credit cards for retailers that it issues and supports and you are correct that it can be difficult to set them up in Quicken.  A lot of users will incorrectly select the bank, not realizing that most of these cards for other retailers are on Synchrony.com, or syf.com, and not on the bank's website (SynchronyBank.com).  And even if they correctly begin the "add account" process by searching on "synch" they may find that the URL doesn't even contain "synchrony" (or any of its many derivations such as "synchbank.com" & "synchronycredit.com") but rather are using a web address of the retailer (e.g. - https://jcpenney.syf.com/login/)

My suggestion is that users be especially careful when adding a new credit card involving Synchrony when they setup the account for downloading.  They should always login to the card's website first and make note of the exact website address before going through the setup process.  They should also initially search on the retailer's name and then "hover over" the name on the list in the "Add Credit Card Account" screen (see snip below) to make sure that the address is correct before they "select" the provider.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• :( I understand what you have said above and I have tried to correct the assigned financial institution by Deactivating the online services, etc. BUT, it does NOT clear the assigned Financial Institution! I have SEVERAL YEARS worth of data in Quicken for that account. HOW DO I GET IT CORRECTLY POINTING TO THE CORRECT FINANCIAL INSTITUTION?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited October 2020
    :( I understand what you have said above and I have tried to correct the assigned financial institution by Deactivating the online services, etc. BUT, it does NOT clear the assigned Financial Institution! I have SEVERAL YEARS worth of data in Quicken for that account. HOW DO I GET IT CORRECTLY POINTING TO THE CORRECT FINANCIAL INSTITUTION?
    When you deactivated your accounts did you remove all the financial institution from the upper right quadrant of the General tab of Account Details before you tried to set up the online services, again? 
    Also, do you have individual online accounts for each of these credit cards or are you trying to set them up using login information for your Synchrony.com online account?  I know for my JCP Synchrony card, I needed to set up an online account with JCP, not with Synchrony before I could set up online services/downloads for my JCP credit card.
  • cynthia T
    cynthia T Member
    Frank, I get what you are saying but as end users, dont you think we should expect quicken to do the right thing and correct the incorrect url? I have reported it MULTIPLE times but nothing...this has been going on for ages and does not seem to be a priority for Quicken. I have been a quicken user for 15+ years and hesitate to move to another platform as I have tons of info in my account.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @cynthia T,

- and welcome to a message thread that is almost 1 1/2 years old!!!

If you carefully review my message above, you'll see that I did not indicate that any URL was incorrect, nor did I say that Quicken was responsible for the problem.  A year and 5+ months ago, the problem was caused by the significant number (more than 50 at that time) of retailer credit cards Synchrony administered and the difficulty that Q users had in distinguishing the various connection URL's from one another.  Neither the URL's themselves, nor the clarification of which URL was attached to which credit card, were (or are today) within Quicken's control.

On your comment about having "reported it MULTIPLE times" I have no comment but to wonder what the answer was from Quicken when you reported it those times.  And again, based on the nature of the problem as it existed at the time I made the comment, it was not a Quicken problem, but was related to the volume of different credit cards being issues by Synchrony and Synchrony's failure to provide clear information to its credit card users on how they should connect their accounts to Quicken.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sandy Beach
    Sandy Beach Member
    I wonder if you can change the web address for Synchrony Bank Credit Cards which is www.synchronybank.com ? I think this is problem. For example my Lowes card now has to go to https://lowes.syf.com/login if I want to sign in to my Lowes account. Same for TJMaxx and others except of Lowes it is the name of that particular store credit card. Was not a problem until they all started being serviced by Synchrony. I can see in my Activate One Step Update pop up when it doesn't work, it is WRONG. It is not using the web address under the account it is using this wrong adress in Updates. Help
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I wonder if you can change the web address for Synchrony Bank Credit Cards "
    No one on this forum can make such a change.  It needs to be originated by Synchrony making the request to Q/Intuit.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    I wonder if you can change the web address for Synchrony Bank Credit Cards which is www.synchronybank.com ? I think this is problem. For example my Lowes card now has to go to https://lowes.syf.com/login if I want to sign in to my Lowes account. Same for TJMaxx and others except of Lowes it is the name of that particular store credit card. Was not a problem until they all started being serviced by Synchrony. I can see in my Activate One Step Update pop up when it doesn't work, it is WRONG. It is not using the web address under the account it is using this wrong adress in Updates. Help
    In general, Quicken connects to the Financial Institutions differently that what we do when we log in to our online accounts.  The URLs that we see in Quicken are often misunderstood.  They are listed there mainly for our reference only and should not be construed as being the URLs that Quicken uses during OSU.
    The other thing is that Intuit and Quicken have almost no control over which websites are to be used for OSU access, especially when it comes to retailer co-branded credit cards.  That is almost entirely controlled by the retailer and the issuing credit card company.  Some retailers will contract with the credit card issuer to manage their retail credit card.  Others (like Lowe's) want their own credit card website.  As long as a retailer wants their own credit card website then the credit card issuer, Intuit and Quicken will have to comply with that.
    This means that we need to make sure to explore the Add Account/Set Up Now set up link options carefully when trying to set up retail co-branded cards.  Look first for the retailer link (such as the Lowe's card link that is currently available in Quicken).  Then if there is no link for that specific retail card, try setting it up with the credit card issuer.
    So, are you saying that you cannot set up your Lowe's card via this link in Quicken?:

This discussion has been closed.