Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Account Reconciliation

neil154
neil154 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Investing (Windows)
Why does Quicken default the date for reconciliation to the "today's date" when it would make so much more sense to default to the last day of the previous month or 30 days from the previous reconciliation?
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the obvious, (unhelpful), answer is "it's programmed that way."  But people - maybe lots of people - do reconcile each and every day or with each download so if the default was "last day of the previous month or 30 days from the previous reconciliation" they'd be complaining about that.  Also many of my accounts don't have a "fixed" day of the month when they generate statements so even using one of your default dates would mean that most of the time I'd have to change the date presented by Quicken anyway. 
    If you want to, you can make your post an "idea" that people can vote on, and perhaps Quicken will change the default if enough people agree.

• Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Investment registers have always behaved differently from Banking registers, which behave the way you expect.  For Investment registers, a default reconciliation date of the last day of the previous month makes the most sense to me.

To be more precise, it should default to the month following your last reconciliation.

Quicken does however remember your prior ending statement date.

I would recommend posting this as a product enhancement request.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @Tom Young Agreed, with changes like this there's never a bipartisan view of how Quicken should work, you can't please everybody, which may be a reason why this has never changed.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro