Cincinnati Financial Services bill pay problem (edited title to show more info)

Trying to pay Cincinnati Financial Services (One of the available choices) and Quicken keeps telling me that Cincinnati has locked access to my account. Per Cincinnati this is false. But they have instituted two-factor authentication which Quicken cannot handle. First is anyone else experiencing this? Second, Quicken what is the plan?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @RedBuckaroo,

Could you please expand on why you indicated the following:
    But they have instituted two-factor authentication which Quicken cannot handle.
    I have several accounts that require two factor authorization and Quicken can handle those.  Does it fail for Cincinnati Financial, and if so, what error code is produced?

Let us know.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • RedBuckaroo
    RedBuckaroo Member ✭✭
    Interesting that you do not have this issue. No error code - just the following message in my email and on the screen - Your payment was canceled because Cincinnati Financial Corporation has locked access to your account. You may need to go to the Cincinnati Financial Corporation website to correct any issues with your account. Just to confirm, Cincinnati agrees there is no lock on my accounts.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that additional information. I also did a little more research and now understand that you are trying to make a payment to Cincinnati Financial.  What method are you using for the payment - is it Quicken Bill Manager (the new service) or are you making the payment through your bank or similar financial institution through the Quicken application?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @RedBuckaroo

So, I thought that I'd make some additional comments before you reply.  I originally thought your issue was hat you couldn't download information from a financial institution.  I know now that Cincinnati Financial is an insurance company, that the issue really was that you were trying to make a payment to CF and you are very likely trying to use the new Quicken Bill Manager to accomplish that.  It seems as though Bill Manager has not been successful in "connecting" with your insurance company to access your invoice and bring that bill into Quicken.  And, you are likely correct that the 2 factor authentication is the cause.

All that being said, I believe that you should still be able to use the "Check Pay" feature of Bill Manager to make your payment.  What I don't know is whether you also might be able to use the "Bill Pay" feature without doing the "invoice download" task (sorry, but I don't use Quicken Bill Manager myself).

Hope this is helpful.  Please let us know if you have any followups.

Frankx

• RedBuckaroo
    RedBuckaroo Member ✭✭
    It is bill manager and quicken just seems oblivious.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @RedBuckaroo

I would suggest that you follow the instructions for adding a "manual bill" located at this LINK.  This will not be as convenient as having the latest invoice downloaded into Quicken, but it will make the payment.

You could also contact Quicken Support and ask about whether it is possible to download a bill where the website uses two factor authorization - here's a LINK to Support.

Good luck!

Frankx

• RedBuckaroo
    RedBuckaroo Member ✭✭
    I can use the check pay feature but of course after a few checks I have to pay them for the privilege. This is of course after paying extra for this bill pay feature. Getting kind of fed up.

I just spent an hour on the phone with them and their support people don't get it. They do not seem to be able to handle two party authentication.
This discussion has been closed.