Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Categorize downloaded transactions before saving them into the register

I let my license expire earlier this year when I caught COVID. I recently renewed my license and some of my payees & their categories seem to have been lost. Before, I would download transactions from the financial institution and most were categorized. I then simply reviewed each transaction for accuracy and then accepted that transaction into the register. When I downloaded six months or so of data, most of my payees (hundreds) weren't automatically categorized based on the payee and these transactions sit in the downloaded transaction area waiting for me to categorize and accept them into the register. Now that the transactions are downloaded, is there a way to add a category before I accept them?

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What I do is click on the downloaded but not yet accepted transaction.  That will temporarily put it in the register.  Then click on the field in that temporary transaction that you want to edit...in your case, the category field.  After entering the category hit the Enter key and the edited temporary transaction will then be accepted.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Scooter
    Scooter Member
    Thanks for the reply. I am aware of that way to categorize and accept transactions. Unfortunately, you have to go one transaction as a time using this method. I have 400+ transactions to accept for my main credit card and there are many payees that have multiple purchases. For example, let's say I have 20 purchases at the same restaurant. I know there is a way to assign a category to a payee and as the transactions are downloaded. As I'm sure you know, using this method the category field is populated based on payee/category association. If there is no association, then the transactions will download without a category. I'm trying to figure out if, once the transactions are already downloaded, is there a way to and the category to the payees with multiple entries so I don't have to add a category one transaction at a time. I looking to save time.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Regarding associations:  There are three ways that I know of that Quicken can set up category associations for Payees. 
    1. Memorized Payees
    2. Previous Entries
    3. Quicken default categories.  Quicken will use this option last.  Also, not all Payees have default categories assigned to them.
    From my perspective, relying on these 100% to correctly categorize transactions usually will end up in frustration, especially if multiple categories have been used with a Payee in the past.  And, IMO, they work pretty poorly with split category transactions.
    But, you can certainly try this if you want.  First, make sure you have your Preferences set up properly per the yellow highlights.

Then select a downloaded but not yet accepted transaction.  Make sure the category is entered and then accept it.  This Payee and category will now be in your Memorized Payee List.  Other transactions from this Payee should be automatically categorized per what is in the Memorized Payee List. 
    Repeat with a downloaded transaction for each new Payee. 
    Then you can try accepting all downloaded transactions and see if they were categorized properly.  If not, then you can use the mass updates Transactions report process per my previous post to correct them.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Scooter
    Scooter Member
    Thank you for the categorize solution. It was exactly what I was looking for. It works so easily.

Your association explanation is great as well. I have to set up some renaming rules and then I can assign the specific category to a specific payee for future downloads.

It's amazing how much you forget when you don't look at something for at least 6 months. Thanks again.