getting a new error for me when importing QFX files

running windows 7 still and Quicken Premier 2010....I usually go to wells fargo and download my activity for a particular date range, then double click the QFX file to import the transactions....I hadn't done that since Feb 2020.

Tried today and get an error
"During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-294-B]."
and
"quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download. please try again later"
and
"quicken was not able to complete your request [OL-221-A]

also when I try to re-register the product it yells at me that it cannot.

So I know I'm running an older windows and quicken...but it has been working as I needed it up to 2/28/2020.

Ideally resolving this issue is a priority

but if that is not possible I guess the following would be my next steps
First I need to upgrade windows to Win10...
Is there an upgrade path from 2010 premier to 2020 premier ? And will the 2020 version restore my previous backed up files ?

Alternatively I could start with Quicken 2020 Premier from 1/1/2020......ugh

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If you were using Quicken 2010, you should not have been able to import a QFX file since about April 30th, 2013.  If you were able to import a QFX file in Feb 2020, I suspect you were using at least Quicken 2017.

Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Note: Assuming you're not referring to the Starter Edition, a newer version of Quicken should be able to open and convert Quicken 2010 files.
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock for the response...
    Unfortunately I do indeed have Quicken 2010 Premier.. I have done the Help-> about and screen captured the screen (can't seem to attach it here)...and I have the physical CD that states the same... Quicken Premier 2010.

I have tried the Ctrl-Shift-E, but it is not doing anything more than play a ding sound.

However if I go to the check account register and click account details I see the financial institution as "Wells Fargo - Web Connect"

What next to try.
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    The thing that puzzles me too is if the QFX file is downloaded (and I can see the data I need is in there looking like some XML document) why does quicken even have to go out and connect to the institution...isn't at that point just an import of data?

I'm thinking of trying a tool to convert the QFX file to a QIF file then import the QIF file...thoughts on that?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    cfauvel said:
    Thank you Sherlock for the response...
    Unfortunately I do indeed have Quicken 2010 Premier.. I have done the Help-> about and screen captured the screen (can't seem to attach it here)...and I have the physical CD that states the same... Quicken Premier 2010.

I have tried the Ctrl-Shift-E, but it is not doing anything more than play a ding sound.

However if I go to the check account register and click account details I see the financial institution as "Wells Fargo - Web Connect"

What next to try.
    If Web Connect worked for Quicken 2010 until February 2020, consider yourself fortunate.  Currently, there is no financial institution identified as Wells Fargo - Web Connect in the current fidir.txt file.   I suspect current name should be Wells Fargo Bank with an INTU.BID of 03000.  

I suggest you save a Quicken file backup (press Ctrl + B) and attempt to reset the binding:
    1. deactivate the Online Services of the register
    2. clear the financial institution's name on the General tab
    3. import the QFX file and, when prompted, select the existing register

Regarding upgrading to the Quicken subscription from Quicken 2010, the installation should uninstall Quicken 2010.  When you open a Quicken 2010 file or backup, the Quicken subscription should save a backup and convert the file to the current format. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cfauvel said:
    The thing that puzzles me too is if the QFX file is downloaded (and I can see the data I need is in there looking like some XML document) why does quicken even have to go out and connect to the institution...isn't at that point just an import of data?

I'm thinking of trying a tool to convert the QFX file to a QIF file then import the QIF file...thoughts on that?
    Quicken doesn't need to check the validity of the QFX file but it does.  Note:  Quicken isn't contacting the financial institution.  In the Quicken subscription, the program does communicate with a Quicken server to perform the validation.  It's possible that Quicken 2010 performs the validation locally.
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    NOTE: tried the decoupling of the Online Services from the register and re-import the QFX file and I get the same error...it didn't prompt me to choose the financial institution.

Restored from the back of 3/1/2020 and got the financial institution back. The in the far right under the drop down of Account Actions, I choose UPDATE NOW and the popup window to register the app appears.

"sorry, before we can update your account, we first need you to register your copy of quicken.
    Registering your copy of Quicken allows you to:
    Download transactions.....
    Download free online quotes
    receive free online updates"

Click on Register Now and get the following:
    "Connection to registration was unsuccessful. Quicken registration requires cookies and an internet connection. If there is an error registering Quicken, follow the steps below to correct the issue. "

In 2019 I did have to buy a new motherboard, and power supply and did have to re-install quicken....but I am pretty sure I re-registered the app as it has been working through 2/28/2020.

I suspect the site that quicken 2010 talks to to register the app is down or decommissioned. I tried disabling BitDefender for 30 minutes too to see if that was preventing me from registering...no change
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cfauvel said:
    NOTE: tried the decoupling of the Online Services from the register and re-import the QFX file and I get the same error...it didn't prompt me to choose the financial institution.

Quicken doesn't prompt us to fill in the financial institution.  We do need to clear the financial institution name field to allow Quicken to see the register as available if the name associated or INTU.BID has changed.

Restored from the back of 3/1/2020 and got the financial institution back. The in the far right under the drop down of Account Actions, I choose UPDATE NOW and the popup window to register the app appears.

"sorry, before we can update your account, we first need you to register your copy of quicken.
    Registering your copy of Quicken allows you to:
    Download transactions.....
    Download free online quotes
    receive free online updates"

Click on Register Now and get the following:
    "Connection to registration was unsuccessful. Quicken registration requires cookies and an internet connection. If there is an error registering Quicken, follow the steps below to correct the issue. "

In 2019 I did have to buy a new motherboard, and power supply and did have to re-install quicken....but I am pretty sure I re-registered the app as it has been working through 2/28/2020.

I suspect the site that quicken 2010 talks to to register the app is down or decommissioned. I tried disabling BitDefender for 30 minutes too to see if that was preventing me from registering...no change
    To disable Quicken 2010's obsolete registration attempt, press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > One Step Update

If you haven't already, I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2010 Release R10 Mondo patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    It's possible that Quicken 2010 performs the validation locally.
    Extremely unlikely.  One of the main points of this check is to prevent users from getting "online services" past their supported date.  And importing a QFX file has always been considered an "online service" no matter Inuit (in the past) or Quicken Inc these days.

This kind of thing has come up many times in the past and can usually be attributed to a server that was long since forgotten being shut off.  The one big event that happened that had lots of people posting such was when they finally completed the transfer from Intuit to Quicken Inc and most of the old servers were turned off.

Intuit really did a poor job of keeping track of the servers that authorized this interaction.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Quicken doesn't prompt us to fill in the financial institution.  We do need to clear the financial institution name field to allow Quicken to see the register as available if the name associated or INTU.BID has changed.(Quote)
    Yeah I followed the instructions to deactivate the Online Service then went and removed the Wells Fargo - Web Connect from the details screen....then tried importing the QFX file and got the same error.

>(Quote) To disable Quicken 2010's obsolete registration attempt, press Ctrl + Shift and select Tools > One Step Update(Quote)

the CTRl-Shift didn't do anything...but going to Tools-> One Step Update....prompts me to register

>
    > {Quote)If you haven't already, I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2010 Release R10 Mondo patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html (Quote)

looking at my About screen I see R10

is R10 after R10 Mondo?
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    ugh DID NOT do the quote thingy right obviously

Yeah I followed the instructions to deactivate the Online Service then went and removed the Wells Fargo - Web Connect from the details screen....then tried importing the QFX file and got the same error.

the CTRl-Shift didn't do anything...but going to Tools-> One Step Update....prompts me to register

is R10 after R10 Mondo? (what is MONDO)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    cfauvel said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Quicken doesn't prompt us to fill in the financial institution.  We do need to clear the financial institution name field to allow Quicken to see the register as available if the name associated or INTU.BID has changed.(Quote)
    If you want to continue to import transactions, you'll likely either need to convert the QXF to QIF or upgrade.

is R10 after R10 Mondo? (what is MONDO)

Pressing and holding the left Ctrl and the left Shift key while selecting Tools > One Step Update... is supposed to disable the registration prompt.

>
    > {Quote)If you haven't already, I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2010 Release R10 Mondo patch: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html (Quote)

is R10 after R10 Mondo?
    If the About Quicken window shows R10, you already at the latest Quicken 2010 update.
  • cfauvel
    cfauvel Member ✭✭
    UPDATE: well I am back in business with Quicken 2020 premier.

first upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 Home...apparently you can get that from MicroSoft for free if you have a valid windows 7 license...that went very smoothly.

Bought Quicken Premier 2020 on ebay for a cheaper price point than online....got it installed it and it migrated my earlier version of the DB files just fine.

It connects fine to WellsFargo.

The only thing I noticed is that if I download the QFX file from wells and double click it , quicken wants to close the app, even though the account is within the DB file I have currently open....no big deal as File -> Import works.....and IS also not a big deal now that the One Step Update works too.

The renaming rules needs to be reset though...but that is off topic from this.

Thanks to everyone who spent time with me.
This discussion has been closed.