Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

OSU New Format

New OSU for Windows format shows arrows - processing - but doesn't show completed. The window just closes after an extended period of time and forces the user to check each account to see if the download was finished. Is anyone else experiencing this issue starting today, Oct 8, 2020?

Best Answer

Answers

• jrich75jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8
    I noticed the change in the gear/arrow and the extra time required today but I got the OSU summary after it completed.  Can you see the summary from the Tools menu?
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Premier Subscription thru 2020
  • Mark TorpeyMark Torpey Member ✭✭
    Thanks for responding. I did see the OSU Summary, only showing because one bank did not download. I do know where to find it but have found it to be somewhat unreliable lately when checking individual accounts and seeing that the last download was earlier than the current date, but no error was generated. In the past, each account would show completed when finished but now still shows processing before the window closes.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8
    One Step Update was recently changed -
    and those accounts that download using Express Web Connect (EWC)
    are now working a little differently, with slightly different icons.
    I also see the new "Processing Data" and then .....
    BAM - closed and gone - BUT completed -
    Just a bad decision on the programming interface.
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have, at some point in time, clicked "Show this window only when there are errors", an optional checkbox at the bottom of the One Step Update Summary window.
    Go into Tools / One Step Update Summary and uncheck this little box to get the OSU Summary after every OSU once again.
    While you're in the OSU Summary view, decide if you want to put a checkmark into the other optional checkbox, "Show just the last update". If you uncheck this box, messages from prior OSUs that are still unresolved will also show.
  • BKBK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @ps56k comment of "Just a bad decision on the programming interface".  I wrote an enhancement request on this:
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R28.24
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 v2004
  • Greg BrownGreg Brown Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also noticed this morning that OSU changed The Direct Connect accounts show complete when completed, but the EWC accounts just stay with that new bizarre icon next to them and never show complete. I do not like this change. I really don't care what pictures they show us during processing, but they MUST show complete when finished, assuming they finish successfully...
    New anomaly, both Amazon and HSN indicated there were downloaded transactions to review, but when I wen to those accounts, there were no transactions downloaded to review...
  • MauriAnneMauriAnne Member ✭✭
    On the OSU summary screen, I'm not seeing any of my accounts listed. It just says "One Step Update Complete".

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I spent 7 hours (!!!!!!) on the phone with support the last few days and they're saying it's an issue with my data file but I'm not convinced.
  • Jerry PedersonJerry Pederson Member ✭✭
    see next post
  • Mark TorpeyMark Torpey Member ✭✭
    Not to be obvious, but have you unchecked the "Show just the last update box"?
    > @"Mark Torpey" said:
    > Not to be obvious, but have you unchecked the "Show just the last update box"?

Yes, I have. I'm getting the display of the summary screen, it's just not showing the accounts.
    edited October 10
    The problem I am having is during OSU I receive a screen to ADD an account to my Chase accounts, totally unprompted. The accounts that show completed on the Progress update screen have been properly updated. All the others were not updated after the ADD account screen appeared.

The problems Quicken seems to be having recently is becoming a concern with me.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I hope that this post doesn't get deleted.

Quicken is changing the Connection Channel for Windows Versions from FDS Connection Channel to QCS Connection Channel. The reason for the change is to help to eliminate Duplicate Transactions that a lot of Users have been complaining about.

There isn't anything wrong, just the way it is currently working.

In order to see your Transactions that are downloaded, prevent transactions from being Automatically added to your Banking Registers by unchecking the options.

When transactions are Automatically added to banking registers, the User can't tell what Transactions are downloaded, except by the Status Column, which isn't needed, if you uncheck the options.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

Thanks for the post, @thecreator but I already have those boxes unchecked. The blank OSU Summary screen just started on Monday which is when I updated to R26.19. I tried reverting back to R26.16 and now have updated to R26.20 but the results are the same on all levels.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.... it appears there is some weird anomoly / change - with regard to how and what is displayed on the OSU Summary screen.   The combo of Direct Connect vs EWC - along with the checkbox at the very bottom...."Show just the last update"
    now yields different accounts displayed...

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    Issue with no accounts on OSU.

I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to figure out if my issue is a problem on my end or with Quicken. I'm hoping that someone of you more experienced users have advice for me. I'll try to summarize the best I can and apologize in advance for a long post.

> On Monday, the day began with everything working fine, except for an issue with my Credit Union giving a CC-800. I updated Quicken to R26.19 and called support. While working on the CC-800 issue with support, I noticed only 3 or 4 of my accounts were showing in the OSU. Also, the download status is listed as "Not available" in the account list for each account.
    > Since then, none of my accounts show in in the OSU. I worked with support again Thursday and Friday and they're convinced the issue with with my file. It has 30 years of data in it so I don't want to lose my history!!!
    > I've done a lot (some on my own, some with support) to try to nail this down. I've validated, super validated, deactivated and reactivated each account, uninstalled and reinstalled quicken, reverted to a previous version of quicken (R29.16) and now updated to R29.20. I've tried using back up files from as far back as 2016 (which I'm absolutely positive worked for years!) In all these cases, the OSU screen does not list any of the accounts. Based on all these tests, as well as the other comments in this thread, it would seem to point to a Quicken
    > However, today I created a new file and added all my accounts. That file works. The OSU lists all my accounts and the download status in the account list is correct (but of course it only has 90 days or so of history).

So, what should I do? Even though it seems like other folks are having issues, Quicken doesn't appear to be investigating. I can't imagine continuing to use the new file which is missing 30 years of data but I can't trust the old file either at this point because I'd never know if there were connection issues or not due to the lack of status and it seems a CC-xxx error pops up on some account every few weeks.

Thanks in advance for reading this far. My head hurts.
    I Have had a conversation with a Quicken rep. using screen sharing. He acknowledged that it was a Quicken problem and was going to call me back this coming Monday with a possible fix. We will see if he will have the fix. I doubt it, but I got my fingers are crossed hoping for the best.
    @Jerry Pederson Did the Quicken rep acknowledge the problem with the OSU summary screen or your odd problem with adding an account to Chase?
    My problem.

I believe they are all related to a programming error on Quicken’s end
  • Jammer13Jammer13 Member ✭✭
    I had posted a similar problem just in the last couple days. Too much of a coincidence that we have perfectly good data files (as shown by passing validate and super-validate), that will not update to certain financial institutions especially given recent changes discussed above. Hopefully, this bug will be addressed soon. At least I can do a web connect, so it isn't a total show-stopper.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7881994/cc-800-cc-501-errors-with-credit-union-accounts#latest
    edited October 12
    I have now learned Quicken has adopted a new way for Express Web Connect to function, which apparently does not work correctly for me In the last several days several of my account passwords that are stored in the password vault have been changed to "not needed" by Quicken, not me. In the password vault, there is a little gold key when clicked on basically says "you no longer need to enter your financial institution credentials for EWC." Also, with the gold key window open click on the "HERE" link to get Quicken's explanation for the change.

I am not able to edit those accounts to re-establish the password. In four of my accounts, the password is still in the vault and has not been changed by Quicken, and the accounts update correctly. All the others were not updated after the ADD account screen appeared and have the wording NOT NEEDED in the password stored column, which I mentioned in an earlier post. See screenshot -attached

Is anybody less having this problem?
    So today while I wasn't paying attention to OSU, There were MFA notifications for me to select code destinations. When I finally responded, I only received one code. The codes were for Navy(2 accounts) and TD Card Services. When OSU finished there was no indication of any problems. All accounts indicated they updated succesfully. One of my Navy accounts last update date was yesterday 10/13/20. Seems to be an issue with OSU not indicating properly when an account fails...
    Here is an update on the OSU process. Today The first time I ran OSU it took approx 10 mins(38 accounts) and I received an ol-297-a error on BofA and cc-505 on several Synchrony accts.. Keep in mind prior to this new OSU process it took approx 4 mins.
    I immediately ran a second OSU and it took 1 min(OSU 2). BofA still had an ol-297-a error but it doesn't show on the OSU summary, and there were no FIs updated, listed under "Financial Institutions updated"(OSU 2). I checked the last download date for BofA(BofA Last Update) and it showed October 17, 2020, yesterday.
    I did a file validate, and ran OSU again. This time it ran for 1 minute but BofA had no error and updated correctly. So it appears on subsequent OSU processes it is NOT running through a complete update process but maybe just running through FIs with errors.
    Needless to say this needs some work. I would be happy to run diagnostics to help with this. This is affecting lots of users so let's see what we can do to tighten up this process.
    Thanks,
    Greg
  • canoe32canoe32 Member ✭✭✭
    @Greg Brown
    Did an experiment this morning. Ran the OSU and updated all accounts. I then activated my VPN Killswitch without establishing a VPN tunnel. This blocks all internet traffic (you can't just unplug the network cable, Quicken will see that). I then ran the OSU again and all Direct Connect accounts failed, but the Express Web Connect accounts showed "Update Complete". It appears that if you have one successful EWC account update for the current day it will not attempt another EWC update for the same day. The DC accounts, however, will do another update. I hope you find this helpful.
    Thanks, but I don't think the DC accounts actually update, it runs through them too quickly. I still think it only actually processes accounts that had errors previously.
  • canoe32canoe32 Member ✭✭✭
    It's hard to say if they actually update without a new transaction to detect between the updates. I don't have enough DC accounts to notice a time difference. At least the DC accounts try to establish a connection, unlike the EWC accounts. Another possibility (and I'm just speculating here) is that subsequent DC updates have no new transactions for Quicken to process, and therefor complete sooner.
    For me, the weird DC thing is that the first Vanguard account the OSU attempts to update usually fails, the other Vanguard accounts work every time.
    OSU needs some work...
    Yeah, my 1st DC account is BofA and it almost always fails with a ol-297-a with my first OSU. I reported it to support and community and was told I should call Bank...😂
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, updating of Direct Connect accounts can be very fast.  It all depends on the financial institution.  And I certainly expect updating of Direct Connect accounts to be MUCH faster than accounts that are setup for Express Web Connect.

Direct Connect talks directly to the financial institution's "OFX server".  This is software that is dedicated to this transfer of information using a standardized protocol. Which BTW has its own security model that doesn't have to jump through the "user login in that might multiple factor authentication and such".

Express Web Connect on the other had is Quicken to Quicken Connected Services to Intuit servers to financial institution's unstandarized website acting logging in as if it is the user.

This "Direct Connect" is the reason that whey you are talking about connection problems like timing out, and log in failures and such it is recommended to call the financial institution because there isn't a "middle man" like there is for Express Web Connect.

Now with that been said I have heard that they are putting some kind of "reverse translation of the IP address" for some financial institutions.  But I don't think it is very common yet.  The idea being that some of the financial institutions don't like all the different IP addresses coming from the users (Quicken) and instead Quicken connects to a Quicken server, which in turn contacts the financial institution on a know IP address and then gives the financial institution the information to connect direct to Quicken like it always has in the past.

Also I see VPN being mentioned.  It has certainly been reported that VPNs can cause problems.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Thanks Chris,
    The reason I said that I didn't think the DC accounts were actually updating is because I am used to seeing the starting message "Financial info is being updated" or something like that whenever I update an DC account and that did not happen on subsequent OSU processes.