Home Before you Buy

Converting from Q2005-?

SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭✭
This discussion was created from comments split from: Can very old version of PC Quicken upgrade to new version.

Comments

• KdsonNCFKdsonNCF Member
    I have QUICKEN DELUXE 2005 (now that's old) and I have a new computer and have to transfer my files (1996-2020). I would prefer a non-subscription one time purchase of QUICKEN to download and transfer my Quicken records. What version should I download?
  • Mark SteinmanMark Steinman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11
    there is no current version of quicken that is non-subscription to my knowledge [removed-inaccurate/solicitation]

where are you 'downloading' your Q records from? Aren't they on the hard drive of the old computer and all you have to do is transfer them to the new computer? 

Do you still have the 2005 software disk? or that the real issue? 
    Thank you for your response. I do have the 2005 Quicken Deluxe CD but I do not have a CD Rom on my new laptop and I have Windows 10 on my new laptop and Windows 2007 on my other laptop. I was reading about converting to 2013 which I thought may be a good solution.
    edited October 11
    [removed-inaccurate]

how much did you pay for the new computer? would you have paid $47 more for it?

if so, think of it as getting Quicken 2020 throw in for free, because that is what it costs.

Just because it's a subscription model doesn't mean you have to renew each year.  If you fail to renew, you just don't get any of the download capabilities (stock prices, software upgrades, etc.);the software will otherwise still work. 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11
    there is no current version of quicken that is non-subscription to my knowledge [removed-inaccurate/solicitation]

where are you 'downloading' your Q records from? Aren't they on the hard drive of the old computer and all you have to do is transfer them to the new computer? 

Do you still have the 2005 software disk? or that the real issue? 
    Slight correction:  Subscription started with  2018 in US and 2017 in Canada.

No DVD/CD reader?  Find a computer that does have one, copy the contents of the CD to a thumbdrive and install from the thumbdrive.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

So I can copy my 2005 files to Quicken 2020? My plan is to do the upgrade on my old computer, download the new version of QUICKEN on my new laptop, and then using Cloud or Jumpdrive load my files to QUICKEN on my new laptop. Am I making this too complicated?
    I do back it all up on jumpdrives
    it's a little different that you state

1) Copy your Quicken data file to the new computer
    2) Load the new software (quicken 2020) on the new computer.
    3) when you launch Quicken 20 for the first time on the new computer it will convert your data to Quicken 20 format.

No need to deal with the old computer, other than copy the data file from it to the new computer. 
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10
    won't you have the same problem with Q2013? meaning you'll need to find a CD ROM to attach to your new computer.  Also, I suspect 2013 is not supported by Windows10 either.

We do not require a CD ROM to download Quicken Deluxe 2013 for Windows and apply the Quicken 2013 R12 Mondo patch.   Quicken 2013 does work on Windows 10.   The only officially supported version of Quicken is the Quicken subscription.

it's a little different that you state

1) Copy your Quicken data file to the new computer
    2) Load the new software (quicken 2020) on the new computer.
    3) when you launch Quicken 20 for the first time on the new computer it will convert your data to Quicken 20 format.

No need to deal with the old computer, other than copy the data file from it to the new computer. 
    The Quicken subscription cannot convert pre-Quicken 2010 files directly.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Oh my that does sound simple. I did not realize I could copy my Quicken Data file without having Quicken already on my new computer...I will try that. Thank you!
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If you have an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

Well I certainly appreciate your insight into this process. Thank you so very much. I've postponed this for a year but now my older computer is nearing it's life expectancy and forcing the issue. Thanks again for the info and the links!
    Well I downloaded the Quicken 2013 from above thread and then I did a restore from my Jumpdrive and it looks good! Thank you all for your help in this process.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11
    Sherlock said:

The Quicken subscription cannot convert pre-Quicken 2010 files directly.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Actually that is not correct. There was a time when that was true but that was due to a bug that has LONG been fixed. The fact is QWin can upgrade any data file as far back as 2004, though it is recommended, and is the official statement from Quicken, to use QW2013 as an intermediary, BUT it is not necessary.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Thanks. That was the thread I followed. Now I will be checking reports for the integrity of the transfer. Thank you!
    All systems go. Just have to change a few reports, but otherwise I am very pleased with the results! Again thank you!
This discussion has been closed.