Home Quicken for Mac Registers & Transactions (Mac)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Transaction balance show up as cash in investment account

I am having trouble reconciling my Quicken registers with monthly statements from my brokerage accounts. Aside from the fact that cash sweeps are not reported by my brokerage and must be entered manually, the balance shown on my transactions for the account does not show up as cash in the portfolio view. Is there an explanation for why this is so?

Answers

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A common problem is that cash isn't included as a "security" in portfolio view.  Click "Options" > "Customize current view..." > click "Securities" tab and make sure cash is selected.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also, you might consider ignoring the "sweeps", and just showing cash in the brokerage account as being CASH .... which is what i do.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Where do I find "Options" to click on? I am using Quicken Premier 202 for Mac (Version 5.18.2) on OS 10.15.7. I have looked everywhere I can think of to find "Options."
  • Regarding sweeps, Merrill Lynch distinguishes between "Cash" and "Bank NA RASP" which is where most of the cash is periodically swept to. If I don't "buy" shares of Bank NA RASP, downloading data from Merrill Lynch causes cash to accumulate because it reports the balance in Bank NA RASP but not the sweeps which should be debiting or crediting my balance in my Activity register. I've tried to ask Merrill Lynch is there is any way to deal with this other than making manual entries and have never gotten any suggestions.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My apologies, I didn't pick up on the "Mac" reference... bad habit of mine.   Perhaps someone who uses the Mac version can chime in.
    As far as the issue of "Cash" and "Bank NA RASP"... If the Bank NA RASP doesn't require that you "buy" and sell" it, i.e., money in the Bank NA RASP is available the same day that you might ask for it, then the easiest thing to do is to simply delete the downloads - I guess they must be "Added" actions - and let the "cash" build up in the Quicken Account.  When you do your reconciliations you simply add any cash and the amount of Bank NA RASP reported to you by ML and compare that to the cash in your Quicken Account.
  • I appreciate the responses.
    I don't know what an "Added" action is. What gets downloaded from ML is a current balance for the "Bank NA RASP" which is, of course, determined by the sweeps. ML also maintains a "cash" balance of whatever has not been swept yet. Sweeps show up on the monthly statement from ML but are not part of the downloaded transactions. I order to "delete the downloads" for "Bank NA RASP" I'd have to zero out the balance with a transaction which "sells" the "shares" of "Bank NA RASP." If I manage to do this properly with a single transaction each month (rather than manually entering all the sweep deposits and withdrawals), I am still left with the problem that the cash balance for the transaction register does not show as an asset in the portfolio view.
This discussion has been closed.