Validate and Repair breaks transfer reports

Hi,
I have had this issue for YEARS. I have reported it to quicken multiple times but it is still broken. I'm hoping that posting it here will provide some more leverage to get it fixed. That is, if others can reproduce it then maybe quicken will investigate it and fix it.
The problem is that after running Validate and Repair, a report that lists the transfers between a Chequing Account and an Investment account will show the CORRECT total amount, but the line items show a ZERO amount for each transfer.
See the screen shots. To reproduce, create two accounts (chequing and investment) and create a transfer from the chequing to the investment account. Then create an investment transaction report to so the transfers between the accounts. Then run Validate and Repair and run the report again. (See screenshots attached).
I'm running Quicken R25.24 build 27.1.25.24 (Canadian Version).
Please post a note here if you were, or were NOT, able to reproduce. I can send you the QDF file if you want (cannot attach it here).
Thanks,
Tim

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although you're running the Canadian version I figure the US and Canadian versions share a ton of similar code, so I tried your experiment using US version 27.28 and could not reproduce your results.  Is there anything in the report after you run validate and repair that stands out?  Perhaps you should post that report, too.
  • ta
    ta Member ✭✭
    The validate and repair report says that it "repaired ACCT_3". I will create a brand new quicken file and try again.
  • ta
    ta Member ✭✭
    I built a new quicken file and I still see the same issue.

Note that the REPORT type is a "BANKING - Transaction" report. This is important.

In the report, unselect the "Chequing" account from the Accounts list (leaving only the "Investment" account selected). Clear all of the Categories except for the "Chequing" account category (right at the bottom of the category list).

The fact that it depends on the report type is an important detail that I did not remember until just now. (Sorry for not remembering in my initial post above).
  • Tom Young
    Before validating, try File > File Operations > Copy... and then use the copied version to validate.
  • ta
    ta Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > Before validating, try File > File Operations > Copy... and then use the copied version to validate.

Didn't make any difference Tom. Did you happen to try the different report type as I mentioned above?

Incidentally, I can fix the issue by resubmitting the transaction. For example, changing it to $801 saving it and then changing it back to $800.

This is a work-around although I probably have several hundred of these transactions that I would have to find and re-enter.

Since "Validate-and-repair" is the first thing that quicken tells you to do to fix other issues.... I usually avoid doing it because I know it causes this problem.
  • Tom Young
    I created a new file and did exactly what you said to do and saw the same thing that you reported.
    I don't think I've run the Banking Transaction report more than a handful of times over all the years I've used Quicken.  The first report - run before the validation - surprises me since I wouldn't expect to see that $800 detail as the Checking Account wasn't selected as "feeding" the report.  But it does seem odd that the report behaves differently after the validation.