Show multiple files on startup

SDS-SJP
SDS-SJP Member
I have 6 files, each for a different bank. Each file may have multiple accounts. When I start Quicken only 4 are displayed. If the bank I'm looking for is not displayed I have to hunt for its QDF. How can I get Quicken to display all 6 on startup so that I can always see the one I want?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    When you say "only 4 are displayed", where exactly are you referring to? As you know, Quicken can only open one file at a time.

You could launch Quicken holding down the Shift key, which causes Quicken to launch without opening a file. It will ask if you want to open the most recently-opened file, but if you press Cancel, it takes you to the Let's Get Started screen, which you can ignore and use File > Open Recent to select which of your files you wish to open.  (The menu choice for File > Open Recent is controlled by macOS, not Quicken. In your System Preferences > General you can set how many "recent" files are shown. By default, macOS shows up to 10 files there, but you can change it to fewer or more.)

Another alternative is to put all your files in your Dock; they'll all have the same Quicken icon, of course, but the names will let you choose which one to open. Since you may not want 6 Quicken icons in your dock, you can create a folder in your Dock for your Quicken files, and drop an alias of each of your 6 files in it, so you can choose which one to open with a single click.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SDS-SJP
    SDS-SJP Member
    Much simpler than all that. When I double-click the Quicken Icon to start the program, I get an otherwise blank Quicken Deluxe screen with exactly two menu items: File and Help. Under File the choices are: New Quicken File, Open Quicken File, Find Quicken Files, File Operations, and then a list of the last four files I opened. If I want either of the two other files that are not shown, I have to use the Open Quicken File command and then hunt for it in some folder with a complicated name that I never remember. In Word or Excel you can adjust Preferences to display your last 5, 10, etc. files. Is there a comparable feature in Quicken?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    SDS-SJP said:
    When I double-click the Quicken Icon to start the program, I get an otherwise blank Quicken Deluxe screen with exactly two menu items: File and Help. Under File the choices are: New Quicken File, Open Quicken File, Find Quicken Files, File Operations, and then a list of the last four files I opened.
    This in itself is very strange. Quicken for Windows always opens the most recently used file when its program icon is double-clicked. In other words, Quicken should have opened the #1 file in your MRU list. The fact that isn't happening means the data file is getting moved from its previous location such that Quicken can't find it automatically. You need to investigate what's going on with your data files.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    SDS-SJP said: I have 6 files, each for a different bank. Each file may have multiple accounts.
    And WHY do you have different QDF files for each "bank" -
    vs just having all of the banking accounts represented in a single QDF file ?
    I have Ally, Chase, PNC - Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard, TRowe - all in ONE file
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SDS-SJP ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

In addition, have you restarted the computer, to see if starting will correct the problem?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R34.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 21390.2025
                       Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit Build 22000.100
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1110

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• SDS-SJP
    SDS-SJP Member
    I have different files for different banks because each is for a different organization that I do financial management for.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To workaround Quicken Windows limitation of only having 4 file names on the recently used list, create a shortcut to each data file by right clicking on them and selecting Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut).  Then you can open each of these by just double clicking on them.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/