Cannot get into Quicken for Windows

So this started a few weeks ago.

I have a Quicken subscription.

I started working thru debugging it but got sidetracked and installed latest version of Quicken on an old Windows 7 PC as well as my son's Windows 10 laptop, both which work fine.

But my work laptop and an old work laptop (both Windows 10 Pro) both have the same issue, so I suspect some kind of corporate firewall or config issue perhaps.

So when I start Quicken it brings up the password for my data file, but then takes a long time to throw up my home page, which flashes there for a second and then I get prompted for my QuickenID and password. I enter that, and a while later get prompted for it again. After I enter that, I get hit with “you have an active subscription to quicken”, and download a new copy.

So I downloaded the install. It fires up, uninstalls the current version, completes OK.

I startup the new version, get immediately prompted for data file password. I enter that and FOUR full minutes later it prompts me for Quicken ID again.

This time I deliberately entered bad credentials and got an immediate “Invalid ID….etc”. I re-enter correct credentials, and wait 90-100 seconds for the second credentials prompt. I then re-enter them, and it comes straight back with the “active subscription – download prompts”.

Back to square one. Ideas on how to fix this?

Thx

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try putting the laptop in Airplane Mode and then starting Quicken. It sounds like Quicken sees the active network adapter but something is blocking Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just a WAG that since you have multiple installs it has caused some licensing conflicts?  Or maybe your Antivirus is blocking something?
    Temporarily disable your Antivirus and see if it works.
    Or Try this:
    * Temporarily turn off your datafile password for this test
    * See if you can sign out: Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID > Sign-in as a diff user
    * Close Quicken
    * Using a browser, go to Quicken.com, sign in to your account and select "Sign out of all devices"
    * wait 15 mins and open your datafile and sign in
    * Check to make sure it is reflected in the Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID (it may take few minutes, and sometimes updating a single account triggers it).
    Let us know if it worked.
    - Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
    - I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr
    - Techie, Win10 Pro x64 21H1, and Win11 Beta
  • Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    @greg_the_greek. Turned off wired and wifi networking, put in airplane mode, opened data file and then got a network unavailable prompt with no way past it.
  • Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    @BK I signed out of all devices, waited 30 mins. No change. I can't disable Sophos AV, corporate policy

I can't get to all the Edit Menus preferences at all

Appalled I can't use a desktop install without internet access

I found this in the QuickenAuthorizationLog.txt which looks like a culprit:

qw PID(60380) TID(11) 27.1.29.22 10/15/20 2:57:20:886 PM ERROR Quicken.Services.Authentication.OAuth2Service "QAM.Authorization.NetworkCommunicationException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 35.161.250.42:443
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
    at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadDataInternal(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data, WebRequest& request)
    at System.Net.WebClient.UploadData(Uri address, String method, Byte[] data)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.HttpTransaction.HandleResponseError(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.Transactions.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCode.RequestAccessTokenFromAuthCodeTransaction.HandleResponse(Exception exception)
    at QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse(Uri responseUri, Uri IUSServerBaseURL)"

So I guess I need to go to corporate IT and figure out if the Firewall is blocking this?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Appalled I can't use a desktop install without internet access

@Boca Rat, You can use it without Internet access - I just tried it again.  But it needs to get registered for the first time to validate your license and in your case it thinks it is not registered because of the handshake issue.

Edit: And yes, AVs, Firewalls, VPNs could cause issues and the only way to determine is to have the ability to temporarily disable them one at a time to pin-point the culprit.  Good luck.  Perhaps others have encountered this and can chime in with other ideas.

• Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    Update: narrowed this down to Windows Defender Firewall. If I turn it off, all works fine. So working with our IT folks to figure out why this is suddenly an issue.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I use my personal laptop for Quicken and use the bundled Win10 Pro's Security (former Defender) as my firewall and it works fine - which is probably the case for most users.  Very curious to learn what you and your IT find.  Please share.  Thank you.
    P.S. (when I wrote "AV is blocking something" on my first comment, I meant Firewall - just a lack of focus)
  • Boca Rat
    Boca Rat Member ✭✭
    So I narrowed this down to turning off Public Firewall access while doing an Update, then turning it back on afterwards. Going with this for now as sick of dealing with it.

My firewall log directory didn't exist, so created that and now have a firewall log, but can't get access to it.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Boca Rat for the update.
This discussion has been closed.