Investment Account "Export to Excel (.xlsx)" is still broken R29.20, R29.22

I reported this issue 2 weeks ago to Support, and in latest update, R29.22 is *still* broken.

The issue is this: In either R29.12 or R29.16 (and I really didn't notice which it was at the time), I was able to "dump" an entire Investment account into an .xlsx spreadsheet to check for accumulated errors.

Suddenly, the ""Export to Excel (.xlsx)" option below "Print transactions" disappeared (this still remains for usual Banking Accounts). This was in R29.20

I was told the "developers" were re-working a method to "dump" this into a .qif file, and this could be opened in Excel. That was not true - it was a line of the .qif file in each Row of the spreadsheet (useless).

R29.22 was just released, and I was hoping this would have been fixed by now.

As a "developer" myself, I know an error when I see one. This is why one "regression tests" changes.

Being able to "dump" an account, and compare it to a "dump" from the actual account source (in this case, my investment house's CSV files) is an essential part of repairing downloaded "account updates".

I am placing another support call today as a follow-up.

I realize software development is a "multi-player" affair, but this is an error of a process that was very "fixed" originally, and now very "broken". Please fix it!!!

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I just successfully exported an investment transactions report to Excel.  You might need to be more clear as to what is actually broken.
  • wsalomon
    wsalomon Member
    Check and see what version you are using (it is listed in "About Quicken").

I am on the Subscription version, and this problem was present in R29.20 (when I first noticed it, have done this Export two weeks before) and in R29.22, Build 27.1.29.22 which was released 3 days ago.

The problem is that in Investment Accounts that the "Export to Excel Workbook (.xlsx)" menu item in the drop-down menu in the "Reporting" section under "Print transactions" was removed - there is no alternative way to do this (and I working through this in Files - Export as QIF while talking to Tech Support, and they agreed that this was a programming error and submitted a Trouble Ticket).

It is still present in for all Banking accounts "Export to Excel Workbook (.xlsx)" menu item in the drop-down menu in the "Reporting" section under "Print report" .

What I will try is to backup my data download the "Mondo Patch 27.1.29.22" and see if directly installing that "cleanly" fixes the problem.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you get by with "Export to .PRN (123-compatible) disk file" in the Print dialog and use that to create a .CSV file which Excel can open?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • wsalomon
    wsalomon Member
    Unfortunately, in both the Investment account drop-down menu Print report and in File -> Print, the options are identical - only "real" hardware printers and "MS Print to PDF", "Quicken PDF Printer", and "MS XPS Document Printer". For File -> File Export the only formats are .QIF and .QFX.

I did try a horrible "hack" (been ages since I last did this on well-formatted database data). I set up a Generic/Text Printer which does a File Print to a .prn extension. I changed that to .txt, and opened that in Excel. Excel would accept this in "fixed delimiter" format, complete with headers for every page, an interspersed rows between every line.

Yes, the information is probably there, but would require hours of reformatting. Simply put, this is not a "solution" for 4 accounts with hundreds of transactions over 5 years.

This what I pay Quicken to do - fix what they broke.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    wsalomon said:
    Unfortunately, in both the Investment account drop-down menu Print report and in File -> Print, the options are identical - only "real" hardware printers and "MS Print to PDF", "Quicken PDF Printer", and "MS XPS Document Printer". For File -> File Export the only formats are .QIF and .QFX.
    I'm talking about the Export option in the Print dialog.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using R29.16 and the option does not exist.  I don't recall such an option ever being available for investment accounts.  As suggested, we may export an Excel compatible file from the Print window or we may export an .xlsx from a report.
  • markus1957
    I believe the OP is referring to the gear icon report options in the account register.  In spending account registers, an export to Excel option is directly available.  In investment account registers it is not.  As noted by @Rocket J Squirrel , the regular Print Report under the gear icon (or File Menu) using the "export to" option as a tab delimited or prn file is required to export an Excel compatible file.

In spite of being rejected, an efficient workaround is exporting to Excel via a customized report.  Further, it is unlikely the fields generated by the direct export to Excel link are any different than those generated by a tab-delimited or prn export; it just takes a couple of more mouse clicks to get there.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    wsalomon said:
    I reported this issue 2 weeks ago to Support, and in latest update, R29.22 is *still* broken.

The issue is this: In either R29.12 or R29.16 (and I really didn't notice which it was at the time), I was able to "dump" an entire Investment account into an .xlsx spreadsheet to check for accumulated errors.

Suddenly, the ""Export to Excel (.xlsx)" option below "Print transactions" disappeared (this still remains for usual Banking Accounts). This was in R29.20

This statement doesn't make sense to me.  R29.20, which you state the feature was in, is after R29.12 and R29.16 you said it was removed from.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have checked versions, R27.42, R28.28, and R29.9 and none of these versions has this menu item/feature.

Signature:
  • wsalomon
    wsalomon Member
    Nods to Rocket... Looking at this again - underneath the Hardware "Printers" there *is* a Radio Button for "Export to" which gives "Text File", "tab-delimited (Excel-compatible) disk file", and ".PRN (123-compatible disk file)".

Going into each of these with a text editor (Notepad++ and revealing the embedded non-printable characters (Tab, CR/LF).
    1. "Text File" has no "tabs" but only "spaces" between fields to give the appearance of being "tab"-delimited.
    2. "Tab-delimited (Excel-compatible)" does have "tabs" between fields
    3. "PRN" format is Comma Separated Variable (CSV) form with double-quotes ("") surrounding alpha-numeric fields except for numeric fields which at either integers (including 0 and signed negative integers) or decimal numbers. Empty (Null) fields show as adjacent commas.

Either "Tab-delimited" or "PRN" appear to be imported into Excel correctly. My personal preference is the "PRN" in case a comma is embedded into a field such as a Memo in which case the double-quotes prevent confusion of whether it is a character or delimiter.

A quirk in my data was that "Cash" transactions resulted in a second row which contained a Category field. This was not needed for my analysis, and had no Date, so I resorted by Date, and deleted all the rows with no dates. This gave a very clean method of putting in a new column for a running Balance derived from a simple formula of the previous Balance plus the current $ Amount.

That said, restoring the "Export to Excel Workbook (.xlsx)" command in the drop-down menu saves a lot of clicks and hunting around, and would make it identical to Banking accounts (as it was).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    wsalomon said:

This statement doesn't make sense to me.  R29.20, which you state the feature was in, is after R29.12 and R29.16 you said it was removed from.
    @Chris_QPW  wsalomon is saying the menu option was available in R29.12 or R29.16 and disappeared in R29.20.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    wsalomon said:

@Chris_QPW  wsalomon is saying the menu option was available in R29.12 or R29.16 and disappeared in R29.20.
    Thanks.

Tested R29.12 and R219.16, and the menu item/feature isn't in either of these.

The only place I see such a feature for investment transactions is in the investment transactions report.
    Signature:
  • markus1957
    wsalomon said:

That said, restoring the "Export to Excel Workbook (.xlsx)" command in the drop-down menu saves a lot of clicks and hunting around, and would make it identical to Banking accounts (as it was).
    As it was maybe prior to July 2020 (R27.42) or who knows when.  ;)  The urgency of the OP implied a critical often used feature that had been "suddenly" ripped away by the developers.  Rather it appears to be a little known or used shortcut almost no one missed for 3 months or more.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As it was maybe prior to July 2020 (R27.42) or who knows when.  ;)  
    OK I will bite.
    R26.23 (5/6/2020), it doesn't exist.
    R25.21 (3/19/2020), it doesn't exist.
    R20.15 (7/17/2019), it doesn't exist.
    R10.11 (7/16/2018), it doesn't exist.

Note that in all of these releases the exporting to Excel from the banking accounts does exist.  It has never existed for the investment accounts as far as I can tell.
    Signature: